Varieties of corn

A lot of people do not know that there are a variety of types of corn. In Missouri, we used to buy sweet corn sold by farmers in the river flood plain between Independence and Liberty. We bought a lot of this and froze it to eat all year. One year, she went to Lancashire and told her English friends about this. The next time they saw her, they asked her for the recipe, as they said "We bought some corn at the market and boiled it for hours, and it was not good at all". 

They bought dried dent corn, of course, which I imagine is what you are growing. Popcorn is another variety, and there is another that is used for making tortillas. In Peru, they have corn with huge kernels, and use a purple variety for making chicha morada, along with pineapple, apples, lime juice, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar.

I wonder if the Tainos had corn when the Spanish arrived in Hispaniola . It was native to Mexico, Central America and the Andes, I think that yuca was the main staple of the Tainos and Caribs.

Both feed corn and biodiesel seem to be a great idea. Dominicans seem to be  more fond of beef than of pork.

Feed corn is used for chickens, cows and pigs here.  As I indicated on another thread, 97% of what is here is imported from USA.  Yes you can buy corn at the roadside, that might be eating corn, sure a bit is grown .BUT most of what you buy  of eating corn is also imported.

I find it interesting that feed corn is not a major crop in the DR.  The Tainos apparently did have some sort of corn, but yuca was the favorite starch. Traditional, fresh yuca bread is delicious, not at all like the dried stuff.

I have the feeling that cooking oil is simply strained occasionally and then used until it is all burned up by the average Dominican cook, though a serious restaurant would be likely to throw it out and start over from time to time. I recall a Chinese restaurant where I used to eat at used to have maybe thirty gallons of used oil outside that someone would pick up for free. Then people started making biodiesel and they started keeping it inside and selling it.  If you burn straight cooking oil, even if filtered to one micron, it will mess up a Diesel engine in a year or so, but Biodiesel is more effective until it gets really cold, Then it will not flow. Not likely to be a problem in the DR.
Corn I have seen in the market here tends to look pretty dried up compared with what you see in the US.

Best of luck with your new venture.

Thanks!!  It is a long term project of major proportions and will be very good for this country!  I am very fortunate to be a part of it.

Sugar cane messed up much of the farming here.  The land is badly badly depleted for many other crops to be viable.

Two of the crops that  they use to put nitrogen back in the soil after cane has depleted it are soybeans and peanuts.
I don't know much about corn, other than one summer I had a job detasseling corn for DeKalb in the Missouri River bottoms. They didn't actually tell us why we were doing this, and there was no Internet then. It was hot and sweaty work, but it paid big bucks: 75¢ per hour, which was the minimum.

I have noticed that peanut butter is very expensive in the DR compared to the US and what there is, at least in Barahona, is pretty awful, like the "bargain"  store brands of third rate chain stores like Red Lion and WD. I always buy it when there is a BOGO and bring some with me when I come.

I buy my peanut butter at pricesmart.....LOL

We usually bring multiple jars whenever we go to the states. Only way to get real natural PB with only Peanuts listed as an ingredient.

There used to be a local brand as well that was quite good but have not seen it in years.

Bob K

I love my  peanut butter, going to Pricemart tomorrow and stocking up!

That reminds me we need a price mart run.  Maybe next week

Bob K

Now, who is hijacking?  Corn to peanut butter?    I don't mind as I have been guilty of it myself.   I like the interaction of the various members..   Life is not linear.  It is more like a river.   Sometimes a quiet backwater eddy, sometimes a roaring rapid.   If life was always calm & easy, it would be boring.   We all have hard times in our lives  & not always just when young.  Throw a few rocks in our paths to challenge ourselves.    Remember  to laugh at the thunder & it will no longer be frightening.

we were talking crops...  I say laugh at most everything.....

I'm laughing now.   Good, I can talk about my 7 kinds of hot chili peppers &  my hot sauces for sale.  The say you can't grow avocados  in central Florida.  I have 3 young saplings started.   Eager to prove them wrong.  Will be in the low 40's this weekend.   Will see how they fare.  I like creamy peanut butter.  Don't like nuts stuck between my teeth.

:D:D:D:dumbom:

Who are you banging on the head?  Me or yourself?

Oh darlin  everyone......LOL