Visa extension

Please tell me what you think the Australian government is going to do. As I said before, you need to actually live here for awhile to really get the feel. Seems your move to VN is a very slow one.

No anger here, just some minor frustration.  Leaving in two days, back to the U.S.  Just means the next trip will happen sooner. Low stress, be flexible. Name of the game any where.  Actually the timing allowed some other things to fall into place.  Just not happy to be returning to winter near Lake Tahoe. California/Nevada.   Brrr.  I'll miss my t shirts and shorts. Not to mention my VN sweetheart.  Ahhhh....
I'll sort the bureaucracy out when I'm home.

I got my three months extension a few days before the new law. Now my work visa is approved and on the way.  Just in time, from the sound of it.

"Anger will consume you" is condescending and not helpful.  I read this thread.  I don't see a lot of anger.  I see anxiety.  And it appears amply justified.

😄

I got my DN visa (3 months multi entries) done at the Cambodian embassy with a letter from an agency.

Total cost of USD 175:
- USD 50 for the letter;
- USD 95 for the visa;
- USD 30 of "processing" fees at the Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh.

I had my visa made in 1 hour, without paying the fees of USD 10 to speed up the procedure.

To all people who wants to do a visa run in Cambodia, you can do it within the day if you are organized enough: leave HCMC at 4am. Take tuk-tuk directly to the embassy when arriving in Phnom Penh (close at 11.30am and open at 1.30pm I think). Get your passport back before lunch. Enjoy some Cambodian noodles and take the bus back to Ho Chi Minh in the afternoon. Tiring but doable...

So total with transportation for the visa run cost around USD 175 (Vietnamese visa), USD 35 (Cambodian visa), USD 20 bus round trip, USD 5 (tuk tuk), USD 5 (for a meal lol). USD 240 in total.

Ellion wrote:

I got my DN visa (3 months multi entries) done at the Cambodian embassy with a letter from an agency.

Total cost of USD 175:
- USD 50 for the letter;
- USD 95 for the visa;

I had my visa made in 1 hour, without paying the fees of USD 10 to speed up the procedure.

To all people who wants to do a visa run in Cambodia, you can do it within the day if you are organized enough: leave HCMC at 4am. Take tuk-tuk directly to the embassy when arriving in Phnom Penh (close at 11.30am and open at 1.30pm I think). Get your passport back before lunch. Enjoy some Cambodian noodles and take the bus back to Ho Chi Minh in the afternoon. Tiring but doable...

So total with transportation for the visa run cost around USD 175 (Vietnamese visa), USD 35 (Cambodian visa), USD 20 bus round trip, USD 5 (tuk tuk), USD 5 (for a meal lol). USD 240 in total.

Smart man with good information. Plus a valid "LEGIT" visa for 3 months that will be extendable in 3 month. A whole lot better to do it this way for the short term rather than screwing around and getting ripped off by the so called visa sellers here in country.

Budman1 wrote:
Ellion wrote:

Total cost of USD 175:
- USD 50 for the letter;
- USD 95 for the visa;

Smart man with good information. Plus a valid "LEGIT" visa for 3 months that will be extendable in 3 month. A whole lot better to do it this way for the short term rather than screwing around and getting ripped off by the so called visa sellers here in country.

I'm just wondering if these Visa Sellers are licensed to sell/issue an internationally accepted legal document., ie, a Visa.   Seems anyone can do it here.  Everyone here is an Agent for something. You would think with that much competition the fees would be competitive.  Not here 😄

Please explain this agency letter.  I have several friends who're really worried.

I got into teaching for the visa more than for the money.  I already make more than enough freelancing but now I have a job at a prestigious Vietnamese school with immigration clout and, surpraz surpraz, teaching is kind of rewarding.  I thought I'd hate it.  A few hours a day around educated Vietnamese changes my whole outlook.  They are vastly unlike the rest.

Until, of course, someone attempts suicide using my motorbike in place of a katana to the belly.  Which is 2-3 times on every trip to school or back.

Yogi007 wrote:

I liked it better before you edited it.  It's true.

Hi there,
I wonder if you have settled the problem or not. I think I could help. Our visa extension service is very various with price about 100 - 200US$.
Hope this helps.
Richard

richardvn wrote:

Hi there,
I wonder if you have settled the problem or not. I think I could help. Our visa extension service is very various with price about 100 - 200US$.
Hope this helps.
Richard

So for 100-200 bucks you fill out 1 N14 or a N5 form and take it to Immergration with a PP turn it in and wait a few days to get it back. What a racket, anybody can do that.

Seems the government can change the laws pertaining to visas every year, but can't draft laws for the dog meat industry

If you're married to a local Viet, and have an extension until 2019 like I do, does that still hold despite the rule changes?  I think I still need to nip to the immigration office to get it signed every 3 months, but sure I don't have to do a visa run.

Forget this post did all wrong haha.

Ellion wrote:

Total cost of USD 175:
- USD 50 for the letter;
- USD 95 for the visa;

I thats helpful but could you explain how you got the letter and from what agency please, and what is a DN visa.

I'm a foreigner in Hanoi. It is true that you cannot get Amy extension after your
90 days visa expires due to new visa rules changes in 2015. But I never heard about the 30 days before reentry. I have to check this 30 days reentry rule at Immigration office soon coz it will give me a lot of difficulty too.

I Just return from Bangkok by vietjetair. I got the Visa On arrival at Ho Chi Minh airport by letter from travel agency in Vietnam. 21$ for letter,95$ for visa. 5million VND for airtickets and two nights guesthouse in Bangkok(i live in Da Nang).The three Months Visa Not B3 any more ,now change to CL(for tourist).I don't know  if i can get extension after three months,if not, maybe i'll leave Vietnam.

enigma1981 wrote:

I Just return from Bangkok by vietjetair. I got the Visa On arrival at Ho Chi Minh airport by letter from travel agency in Vietnam. 21$ for letter,95$ for visa. 5million VND for airtickets and two nights guesthouse in Bangkok(i live in Da Nang).The three Months Visa Not B3 any more ,now change to CL(for tourist).I don't know  if i can get extension after three months,if not, maybe i'll leave Vietnam.

This is exactly why people are leaving here,the government is hell bent on getting rid of people. I'm thinking of moving to Cambodia,at least there it's a bit easier to get things done.

Hi there,

You can do it by yourself at Phòng Quản lý XNC Công an TP.HCM (số 161 Nguyễn Du, P.Bến Thành, Q.1, TP.HCM for about 159k vnd.  You need to get an application form there, get your hotel sign it then go back there to apply for 3 month-visa.

Cheers!

Yea, you have to leave and reenter, even if its the same day.

Yea, you have to leave and reenter, even if its the same day.

Does this new rule only apply to tourists visa's, if you have a Buz visa can that be extended, anybody know? Thanks.

daveinvietnam wrote:

Does this new rule only apply to tourists visa's, if you have a Buz visa can that be extended, anybody know? Thanks.

No B3 any more,except you working in Vietnam,here are the all   types of  news Vietnam visa
http://vietnamvisa.sg/vietnam-new-immigration-law/

daveinvietnam wrote:

This new law is applied for all types of visa.
If you have a valid buz visa, you still can get 1-month extensions but the fee is really expensive.
So I think it's better for you to exit and back Vietnam on a new visa if you have intention of working in VN for long time

enigma1981 wrote:
daveinvietnam wrote:

No B3 any more,except you working in Vietnam,here are the all   types of  news Vietnam visa

Thanks for that, I asked because  the guy a few posts went a few days ago and was issued with a Buz visa in PP and someone replied it could be extended, so I thought I might do the same but if its only a month extension and expensive I will just get a tourist visa.

Lived here in Nha Trang 10 years now and they seem to be making it more difficult every few years, I plan to marry a Viet lady in July so  am hoping that will make things easier.

Have just got a DN visa, anyone know what that means

slimpickings wrote:

Have just got a DN visa, anyone know what that means

DN - Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam

The duration of a NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, DN, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 or TT visa is not longer than 12 months.

daveinvietnam wrote:
enigma1981 wrote:
daveinvietnam wrote:

Thanks for that, I asked because  the guy a few posts went a few days ago and was issued with a Buz visa in PP and someone replied it could be extended, so I thought I might do the same but if its only a month extension and expensive I will just get a tourist visa.

Lived here in Nha Trang 10 years now and they seem to be making it more difficult every few years, I plan to marry a Viet lady in July so  am hoping that will make things easier.

You are a lucky man daveinvietnam. I stay in Da nang over four years,and find it's more and more difficult to stay here,and i feel a little boring maybe :)

This is some helpful information posted by Colm in Nha Trang

Some clarification on the new visa categories.

DL – Tourist Visa (valid up to 3 months)
LD – For Foreign Workers with approval permits
ĐT – Investor (valid up to 5 months with option to make Residency Card 2-5 years).

The old C (tourist visa 1-3 months) and B (Business Visa 3 months) have been changed. Almost all expats here who stayed longer than 3 months (without residency or marriage exemptions) were on the B3 business visa which they renewed every 3 months until the time came for a border run. This is now no longer possible.

The old tourist visa category has been changed to a new category called “DL” and is a tourist visa valid for up to 3 months. It's unlikely that this visa can be extended more than once (meaning border run times are likely to be more frequent for those not on residency/exemption visas). This is the visa that you will now have to obtain upon re-entry to Vietnam.

The important new business visas have been changed to LD and ĐT
LD – Working Visa (not a residency card) – given to those who have approval to work in Vietnam. A residency card can be made from this visa if you can provide a work permit with a company. So, you can be here on a tourist visa for example and receive a work permit from a company. You would then have to leave and re-enter on an LD visa (after showing your work permit) and then you can renew this over time or make a residency card up to 2 years).

ĐT – Given to foreign investors (if you are on a company business license as an investor/director, you will be issued with a ĐT visa). However, to get this approval, immigration require a letter signed by the company that is approved and logged in the system by immigration. You can then make a residency card for 2-3 years (SME) or 5 years (MNE).

So what this means for expats.

Anyone on a C or B visa issued before Jan 2015 must leave Vietnam before the expiry of their visa. Upon re-entry they must get a tourist visa (DL) that is valid up to 3 months. They will only be issued with a business visa if they meet the requirements listed above relating to work permit or being involved in a company. Even if you are in the process of making a work permit or company business license at the moment, you will still have to leave if you have one of the old visa categories and re-enter with the approval letter from your company giving you either a working business visa or an investor business visa. These can be renewed or changed to a residency card.

For those who are already on marriage exemption visas or residency cards, there are no significant changes that will affect you, with the exception of exemption visas being changed to bi-yearly rather than quarterly stamps at immigration (still not 100% confirmed

Owee wrote:

This is some helpful information posted by Colm in Nha Trang

Some clarification on the new visa categories.

DL – Tourist Visa (valid up to 3 months)
LD – For Foreign Workers with approval permits
ĐT – Investor (valid up to 5 months with option to make Residency Card 2-5 years).

The old C (tourist visa 1-3 months) and B (Business Visa 3 months) have been changed. Almost all expats here who stayed longer than 3 months (without residency or marriage exemptions) were on the B3 business visa which they renewed every 3 months until the time came for a border run. This is now no longer possible.

The old tourist visa category has been changed to a new category called “DL” and is a tourist visa valid for up to 3 months. It's unlikely that this visa can be extended more than once (meaning border run times are likely to be more frequent for those not on residency/exemption visas). This is the visa that you will now have to obtain upon re-entry to Vietnam.

The important new business visas have been changed to LD and ĐT
LD – Working Visa (not a residency card) – given to those who have approval to work in Vietnam. A residency card can be made from this visa if you can provide a work permit with a company. So, you can be here on a tourist visa for example and receive a work permit from a company. You would then have to leave and re-enter on an LD visa (after showing your work permit) and then you can renew this over time or make a residency card up to 2 years).

ĐT – Given to foreign investors (if you are on a company business license as an investor/director, you will be issued with a ĐT visa). However, to get this approval, immigration require a letter signed by the company that is approved and logged in the system by immigration. You can then make a residency card for 2-3 years (SME) or 5 years (MNE).

So what this means for expats.

Anyone on a C or B visa issued before Jan 2015 must leave Vietnam before the expiry of their visa. Upon re-entry they must get a tourist visa (DL) that is valid up to 3 months. They will only be issued with a business visa if they meet the requirements listed above relating to work permit or being involved in a company. Even if you are in the process of making a work permit or company business license at the moment, you will still have to leave if you have one of the old visa categories and re-enter with the approval letter from your company giving you either a working business visa or an investor business visa. These can be renewed or changed to a residency card.

For those who are already on marriage exemption visas or residency cards, there are no significant changes that will affect you, with the exception of exemption visas being changed to bi-yearly rather than quarterly stamps at immigration (still not 100% confirmed

Thanks for that very much appreciated. I only found out about this yesterday so not that well up on what's been happening, I did ring the guy who does my visa and he confirmed it all but he did say if you are prepared to pay $350 you can get it extended, cheeky sod.

I looked later on another thread and 3 month extensions are being offered in Saigon and Hanoi already for $175, of course I have no idea how true that is just expats like ourselves giving info, but I do know we get even more ripped off in Nha Trang.

Hi Dave,
Don't risk it and believe what local agents think they know. A local guy here in NT paid exactly that, $175 for 3 mths...and guess what , it came back for only 1 month. And this blog has others that have experienced the same .   Better off to take a break, see something different and get a Visa in Phnom Penh.  I've been quoted by Six different travel agencies in PP prices ranging from $95 to $115 for 3 mth single.   $115 same day service.

Some other Asian countries have a retirement Visa.  You'd think they'd want to attract retirees with Fat superannuation cheques looking for somewhere to spend it.

Yogi007 wrote:

Hi Dave,
Don't risk it and believe what local agents think they know. A local guy here in NT paid exactly that, $175 for 3 mths...and guess what , it came back for only 1 month. And this blog has others that have experienced the same .   Better off to take a break, see something different and get a Visa in Phnom Penh.  I've been quoted by Six different travel agencies in PP prices ranging from $95 to $115 for 3 mth single.   $115 same day service.

Some other Asian countries have a retirement Visa.  You'd think they'd want to attract retirees with Fat superannuation cheques looking for somewhere to spend it.

Yogi, that would take some common sense. As I said before, they keep changing the visa laws yet can't implement laws for dog food industry, I see another two people just died at the hands of a dog thief.

A friend of mine just had his dogs poisoned, probably in preparation for a burglary by someone who needs yellow and red bling (and beer) for Tết.  The big dog hogged the poisoned meat and died, another was convulsing but is expected to recover. 

On my one block, nine stolen dogs in three years, two of mine.  Most of them right in front of plenty of witnesses who won't lift a finger. 

And, of course, the cops know where the dog restaurants are.  They should; they eat there.

This exceeds my multicultural tolerance.  A lot.

Making it relevant: I'm on a tourist-to-work visa transition.  I'll let the discussion know if I actually have to leave and come back.

Yogi007 wrote:

Hi Dave,

Yes for sure, I shant be taking any risks, like I said earlier I plan to marry June July so 1 or 2 trips to PP not to bad, well I say that but the bus journey I hate, so what I did last time was fly with Air Asia to Bangkok, it goes to the old airport and has a hotel in the airport, stayed overnight flew back in the morning and picked up a VOA, door to door from my house in Nha Trang was less than 24 hours, more expensive obviously but I always seem to have to stay 2 nights in PP so saved I nights hotel, and I cant find a decent cheap hotel there so a saving of about $65.

They don't care about retirees, same they don't care about professional doctors teachers etc, ‘they' being the top bods in Hanoi, they control the power of there own department and want it staying that way, each department and government office is a separate entity, they don't listen to each other so they would not dream of listening or caring about us, haha we are so far down the ladder we hardly merit a thought, and for sure any financial benefit to the country is not really an issue ,just look what they have done with the visa for boat arrivals, from $5 to $45and hours now of paperwork,will cost the country millions in lost tourist revenue.

Why should they care about us?  Given the bad example set by so many expats who only come to have sex with girls a quarter their age or to finish themselves off with cheap booze, I wouldn't care about them either.  I avoid these people, and the tourists who are even worse.

But they do care about money.  From their own corruption to getting foreign investment into Vietnam.  This they care about a lot.  And in making extended stays harder they kill the goose laying the golden eggs.  With Russian tourism drying up like a wet street in the sun, and big investors pulling because of rampant theft and unreliable workers, Vietnam can't afford to lose yet more foreign money.  Retirees bring a lifetime of savings. 

Check it: nobody knows about the VR visa.  Everyone knows about the tourist visa changes.  One new document should explain both.  I think they're milking people on renewals and just when people have had it and are getting ready to bail, they'll hear about the "other" clause of the VR and start issuing them, six months renewable.

What do people do when they get elderly?

TEFL Can Tho wrote:

Why should they care about us?  Given the bad example set by so many expats who only come to have sex with girls a quarter their age or to finish themselves off with cheap booze, I wouldn't care about them either.  I avoid these people, and the tourists who are even worse.

But they do care about money.  From their own corruption to getting foreign investment into Vietnam.  This they care about a lot.  And in making extended stays harder they kill the goose laying the golden eggs.  With Russian tourism drying up like a wet street in the sun, and big investors pulling because of rampant theft and unreliable workers, Vietnam can't afford to lose yet more foreign money.  Retirees bring a lifetime of savings. 

Check it: nobody knows about the VR visa.  Everyone knows about the tourist visa changes.  One new document should explain both.  I think they're milking people on renewals and just when people have had it and are getting ready to bail, they'll hear about the "other" clause of the VR and start issuing them, six months renewable.

You say Vietnam can't afford to lose yet more foreign money but they will, having lived here 10 years now I have seen time and time again where vast money has been lost because of incompetence at the highest level, and I think the point you are missing is although retirees bring a lifetime of savings what % of those savings go to the visa department, because that's all that department cares about when it makes a decision, each department looks after itself the best way it sees fit with no regard for the knock on consequences to the country.

Give you an example and please excuse if the figures are a bit wrong as I can't remember exactly, tourist visas bring in about $40 million which goes directly to the government, if the visa was totally scrapped and made free same as Thailand they reckon with the extra tourists that would come it would over triple that amount to about $150 m, problem with that is the money would be shared with the people and not direct to the government and its officers, so it will never happen even though it would benefit Vietnam enormously.

Another example is what's just happened with the boat visa's, they have increased the visa from $5 to $45 a 9 fold increase, even if two thirds of the tourists no longer come that visa department will have increased its revenue, but the country will now have say 4 people spending $100 a trip rather than 10 people spending a $100, not the visa departments problem, they have had there money and it looks good.

daveinvietnam wrote:
TEFL Can Tho wrote:

You say Vietnam can't afford to lose yet more foreign money but they will, having lived here 10 years now I have seen time and time again where vast money has been lost because of incompetence at the highest level, and I think the point you are missing is although retirees bring a lifetime of savings what % of those savings go to the visa department, because that's all that department cares about when it makes a decision, each department looks after itself the best way it sees fit with no regard for the knock on consequences to the country.

Give you an example and please excuse if the figures are a bit wrong as I can't remember exactly, tourist visas bring in about $40 million which goes directly to the government, if the visa was totally scrapped and made free same as Thailand they reckon with the extra tourists that would come it would over triple that amount to about $150 m, problem with that is the money would be shared with the people and not direct to the government and its officers, so it will never happen even though it would benefit Vietnam enormously.

Another example is what's just happened with the boat visa's, they have increased the visa from $5 to $45 a 9 fold increase, even if two thirds of the tourists no longer come that visa department will have increased its revenue, but the country will now have say 4 people spending $100 a trip rather than 10 people spending a $100, not the visa departments problem, they have had there money and it looks good.

that my friend, IS human nature, it's all about "me"

Yogi007 wrote:

Well, I'm off to Cambodia for a short holiday. I'd rather spend the ripoff cash on something tangible.
I used to get an extension on B3 for about $50.  Now they want $280...  Crazy Stuff.

The Russians are leaving in droves, so that leaves backpackers and expats left. The backpackers will move on if a$300 sting is applied to their stay..   I know a lot of expats who don't mind a week away doing something different.  The Visa agents will lose out in the end.  They sayCheats never prosper .
Must be right Eh, ...take a look around, the locals aren't exactly an affluent looking crew are they.

How does the Cambodia run work? I haven't got a clue of the price or what kind of Visa you get. I am the same as you and have to pay £250/$380 for my B3 multiple entry renewal.

Pretty straight forward really, you catch a bus from Saigon to PP [about $15], $25 dollars for your Cambodia visa at the border then on into PP [takes about 7 hours], book into a hotel and it would be nice to have a few recommendations if any have them,the one I use is $70 a night but if I had to do it 4 times a year I would find one cheaper, of course if you live in HCMC you may well be able to do the-whole trip there and back in one day, not something I would fancy but I expect it can be done.

What I normally do is just get the hotel to do it, just hand them the passport and it comes back with a 3 month visa,you may need a photo, sometimes they want it sometimes they dont but best to take one, if your hotel cant do it they will point you to a shop that can and it normally costs about $110.

The other alternative is to fly Air Asia to Bangkok, stay at the airport hotel fly back in the morning picking up VOA, it works out not as expensive as you think especially if you live in Nha Trang, you save on the taxi in and out of town and no Cambodia visa [total about $50], the hotel at the old airport which Air Asia flys into is not bad at $45 and the Viet visa is a bit cheaper, so with a one night stay about $40 more flying than by bus.