10 Brazilian New Year Traditions

http://www.cat-travel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Reveillon.jpg

Every nation seems to celebrate the New Year in its own special way and has its own traditions. Brazil, the 5th largest country on earth and the largest in South America is no different in that respect.

So, what do you know about New Year traditions in Brazil?

1. Wearing white clothing to bring in the New Year,has long been a tradition, it is supposed to bring peace and prosperity in the coming year.

2.  Eating 12 grapes at midnight; a tradition that came from Spain. Traditionally one eats one grape at every chime of the clock brings luck.

3.  Eating lentils, they're supposed to guarantee wealth. They're round and flat (like coins) and the fact that they swell when cooked is supposed to represent the increase in wealth. They are also eaten to bring luck.

4.  Keeping a Bay Leaf in your wallet also to bring luck.

5.  Bring in the New Year with money stuffed into all your pockets, to guarantee that they will continue to be full in the coming year.

6.  Walk around the house with an empty suitcase, to travel a lot in the coming year.

7.  Lucky number 7, ah yes! At midnight revelers wade into the ocean and jump over seven waves to honor the Ocean Goddess Iemanjá and don't forget to make a wish for each time you jump. Sucking or chewing on 7 pomegranate seeds without swallowing them, then put them in your wallet to guarantee it will always be full of money.

8.  Champagne - take three hops without spilling a drop and then throw it back over your shoulder, the person the champagne lands on will have good luck for the whole year.

9.  Eating pork is supposed to keep you full of energy in the coming year, while eating turkey and crab are supposed to bring bad luck. Not too sure about the turkey since it seems always to be on the menu on New Years Eve in almost every Brazilian home.

10.  Bring in the New Year with new underwear and new sheets on your bed..... well I guess that you're supposed to do that just in case you do get lucky!!!

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team

Do not eat turkey or chiken because they scratch the earth back so, ....

I don´t know  5, 6, 8, and 10 but I had to proceed with all the other traditions yesterday (thanks to my wife...).
Actually I would add one more:  take bills in foreign currencies (generally $US but we use also Euros and UK Sterling because we lived there) and step on them. It should garantee money for the year.