Just moved to PR from Fiji

I just moved about 10k up the mountain outside of Sabana Grande. 2400' level. Facing the Caribbean. The last 6 months I have been in the Ballard area of Seattle. I left Koro Island in Fiji, May 1st. I lived there 4 years. Full time.
Bought an acre in a small development built a smallish house with solar power and rain water catchment. Interestingly, Fiji is about 17 degrees south and PR is 17 degrees north. So, every thing I learned about growing in the tropics should  easily transferable here. Now, I need to learn Spanish. Yikes.......

Good luck, Ouzel. I'm sure you'll adapt well.

thanks for the encouragement. I have been lurking for awhile.....

Welcome, Ouzel!
I hope you're gonna like this place. You're  in a nice corner of the island. Good luck!

Thanks Gary!
As a matter of fact, I was going to try contacting you with some questions about your internet. I am using AT&T mobile hotspot. 5gig for 50.00. I am going to be looking into Dish, but like the idea of using a business license to get a better deal, as in unlimited data.

No problem, let me know what info you'd need and I'll do my best to help!

Welcome, ouzel!  I'd love to hear how you are getting along in PR and what are your observations versus Fiji.  Happy Hoidays!

Good morning Gary,
here is your post from June 24, of this year.....

Now, things are different if you have a business and a business account at a credit union (here in PR that would be one of the cooperativas) . In that case you can get an unlimited bandwith contract for 49.95/month.
Since we own a computer service business we ran to the local cooperative, opened a business account and now we are enjoying super high speeds.
An external antenna and a special router completed the setup.

Is your newest internet provider Sprint? You make the process of getting this provider and  the whole business account together sound fairly painless. It sounds like the best way to go. Thanks for your help.
I checked with Dish and they said they still don't have Dish Internet in PR. Maybe next year she said.

Greg aka Ouzel

Good morning to you, Greg!

Yes, Sprint is my internet provider. Now, in order to get that unlimited data contract you need to own some kind of business that's at least registered at the municipality. With that registration you need to open a DBA account at a Cooperativa. It may take some time until the Cooperativa is added to Sprint's list of approved credit unions. In my case that was something like 6 weeks.

Unless you already own a business and have a DBA account at a Cooperativa I would suggest that you first check with your local Sprint store if they know about this contract. It could be that your local Sprint store doesn't know about it and that you may have to point them in the right direction, This here would help: http://wecare4cu.org/docs/SprintCUprogram.pdf
Next check if you have LTE connectivity with a Sprint cell phone at your location. If you have no good connection your internet speeds will be bad. An external antenna can help.

The contract comes with a data card that connects to a USB port on your computer or laptop. If you have more than one computer and/or want to have wifi internet access for phones and tablets you need to buy a special router to plug in the card. I use this router: http://www.amazon.com/3G-Broadband-Rout … B0039XDVUG
It works great with the Netgear card that came with my contract. Check with Sprint which card they would give you and contact Mofi Network (via Amazon) if that card works with the router.

If your reception isn't very good you will need an external antenna. If you need that I can dig out the info on the antenna that I bought online. The owner of that antenna store knows his stuff and is very helpful.

Here's the card and the router I have:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2a0neoz.jpg

And here you see that I used more than 50 Gb of bandwith already in this billing period (it resets every month) and that the plan is unlimited:
http://i59.tinypic.com/e0r383.jpg

WOW, thanks so much for taking the time to post that. And the photos. Very helpful!

It's my pleasure.
Should you have any questions, let me know, OK?