Mauritius Citizenship & Passport

Hi,

I am 36 years old, and my mother is from Mauritius. At the time she was married in the UK having moved over at about 20 years old. She is a Mauritian national.

I understand that I qualify for Mauritian citizenship by descent - is this correct?

If so, I understand I can get a Mauritian passport also.

I intend to call the Mauritian Embassy, and Mauritian High Commission to find out if this is true, but does anyone have recent experience of this?

Cheers!  :)

Yes you do qualify if I understand correctly but you will need your Mauritian ID card first I think :)

You are entitle for applying for citizenship and then apply for your passport.

gtoofany wrote:

Hi,

I am 36 years old, and my mother is from Mauritius. At the time she was married in the UK having moved over at about 20 years old. She is a Mauritian national.

I understand that I qualify for Mauritian citizenship by descent - is this correct?

Cheers!  :)

Your mother has to prove her Mauritian citizenship first  (thus applying for her Mauritian NID card ) before you can use her papers ( Birth Certificate , NID and all the other requirements you can find on the Mauritian Govt site for citizenship) within 3 months IIRC  to apply for your  Mauritian citizenship ( to be done on the island - not long distance) after which you can apply for the passport