Economy of the North Coast?

Good morning all.  I've read some strings that talk about the slow down in the travel industry in Puerto Plata, is this true?  Was 2014 a slow year tourist year for the North Coast?  Since the US Economy is rebounding well and Europe too, I guess I'm a little perplexed as to why the travel industry is not improving, versus 5 years ago.

Hi there

I am not sure about DR and we know the US is rebounding but you are very wrong to state that Europe is.  The latter is in a total mess with only the UK out performing its neighbours.  Europe remains a serious problem to the rest of the world and I can see the non euro countries leaving the political union sooner rather than later which of course includes the UK which further adds to the uncertainty.  Sorry to be gloomy but these are the facts.

Regards

Ducketts

Well that explains it then, the lagging European economies are negatively affecting the travel business on the North Coast.  If the DR could get some direct flights from more major US Cities, it would sure help, like from Dallas, Houston and Tampa.

Hi there

There are direct flights from the US  i.e NY and Miami

From recent tourist surveys, if they are to be believed, there are more Europeans coming to DR than US and Canadians wrapped together.  I stress if you believe these figures.  If that is the case, both Germany and the UK at present currently operate direct flights to DR namely London Gatwick Airport and Frankfurt Main.  I believe the Russians also operate direct flights.  It all goes back to "pounds, Shillings and pence".  Europe is fragile and whilst the US is in recovery, the latter is also very fragile.  Let's hope for the best!!............for all of us.

Regards

We actually have seen an uptick here on the north coast, and in fact some new US routes are being added this tourist season from the US to PP

Bob K

That sounds good Bob, everybody in Texas thinks the only good, quick get away is Cancun/Cozumel or Belize.  And I guess I understand why, b/c it costs them $600 to fly to PP vs $300 to fly roundtrip  to Mexico on a typical fare.

The north coast is still well behind the rest of the country. In Puerto Plata 1/2 the hotels are still closed.  There is a lack of reinvestment in them and it has hurt them

Yes i believe things are on the rebound,  the opening of the cruise ship terminal will help the direct area and then there will be spin off benefits. The gov't is investing in tourism for the north coast as well.  So, hopefully it all works!

Our fingers here are crossed as well as our toes,eyes and so on.

Bob K

Hard to walk Bob.............. ;)

Hah I give that up after 4 presidentes

Bob K

HAHAHAHA

Hi

I just read the thread you started about the economy on the North Coast.  Great topic!

Contrary to most posters who are either negative or cautiously optimistic, I am extremely bullish on the North Coast's future and have written extensively on the subject, but since I don't have the time to go into all the details here, I'd like to refer you to a recent discussion I started on a couple of LinkedIn forums. 

Here's the link for the group The Dominican Connection:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/North-C … st-0-b-ttl

And for Darlene's group, Linked Dominican Republic Spam Free:
https://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view … st-0-b-ttl

My expectations are based mostly on the massive works of infrastructure already being carried out by the government and other projects which are on the agenda but not yet begun. It is only natural for a lot of people to be skeptical about political promises. Seeing is believing, right?  Well, if you see first hand what is happening here, you become a believer. This is explained in my LinkedIn postings so I won't go into more details here.

In closing, let me just cite the latest news as evidence that our present government does not just make empty promises: in 2014 it offered to build 10,000 new public classrooms and 6 beltways to divert traffic around big cities and towns, and they were all finished before the year ended. Sure, there are other things that didn't get completed, but it's not all the government's fault. I think the private sector needs to cooperate more, not leave everything to the government.

I'd like to know your opinion after you read my LinkedIn posts.

Sorry don't do LinkedIn.
So do you want to share here?

Bob K

Isavinon.....I agree that the Future of the North Coast looks promising and the current President has done a lot during his tenure, but what I have noticed is that politics in D.R. Is a very tricky venture and it appears to me that depending on who is in power, has a lot to do with what gets done. The corruption is the first thing that needs to go in order to pump full life into that area, until that is taken care of, there will not be a full renaissance for the North Coast. Clean up the corruption, then maybe, just maybe you will make me a believer. The current Prez has done a great job, but will his successor continue what he started or simply start his own agenda. Many schools have been built, but many of them were not opened due to lack of payment to the architects and construction workers......see what I mean about the corruption game? But all I too have some optimism, but the corruption has to go, and that will not be overnight. A Change of Hearts and minds must take place for that to happen. :cool:

Very informative article Isavinon.......The updates you provided in your link were quite informative, but like I said before, many things must change in order for tourism in the North to truly boom.  Fist thing is security, if tourist are being robbed both in and outside the hotels, that will not encourage tourism. Second, Puerto Plata airport is the most expensive of all airports to fly into when coming to D.R.......you want more tourist, make the airfare more affordable. Lastly, the police force. The police continues to be a major problem all around. There are a few good cops, but many participate in illicit activities that many times affect tourists. The solution to that would be to pay them living wages where they would not have to resort to these activities.  When I start to see these changes taking place, then my optimism level will rise. I do hope the North Coast makes a comeback, since it is one of my favorite parts of the island, but the internal cleanup must begin as well and just not the exterior. Like that old cigarette add with the beautiful chick smoking....You Have Come A Long Way Baby! :cool:

Massagewiz some great points.  Corruption is with out a doubt the number 1 problem here.  When it goes the police get better, crime goes down, things get done and done properly.  However this will be a very slow process and a lot will depend on the next election. 

Bob K

Boys the issue is corruption and greed are going nowhere FAST.  This country will need to progress in spite of it.   If you wait for corruption to be dealt with you will have a very very long wait.

You are correct and I am not holding my breath but we need to at least make a start, which I really see no evidence of.

Bob K

Yes we do Bob,  unfortunately  we have no control over it, including no ability to vote or influence political office... darn. I need my citizenship!

Thanks for posting your links. Ive opened a DR company to cover the Caribbean countries.

Thank you