Location To Live With These Requirements

Hi all,

First post here. The forum seems very active and helpful so hopefully i can get some clarity.

I am relocating to Malta in January/February and am looking to rent a very modern, contemporary (high end?) two bedroom apartment (penthouse preferred). I am willing to spend a decent chunk on the place for this and obviously it should have heating, air conditioning and all frills. I am guessing it will cost between 1400-1700 per month.

I plan to live close to where I work. I've to pick an office location too and provisional research leads me to think I'll be in the Sliema, Giza or Ta' Xbix area. I am involved in online marketing and work closely with gaming companies. I would prefer this area opposed to St. Julians but I guess St. Julians wouldn't be the worst although walking to work would be significantly longer.

Is there any apartments of the kind I am looking for in that area or has any one any recommendations. I think there are new developments around that area. Any help appreciated. Am I likely to get a better bang for my buck in one area over another?

you will easily find someone willing to take 1400 a month of you for a place in those areas , i personally would avoid living in st julians, and sliema  but each to their own .. check out maltapark  for current availible properties or contact an agent , obvioulsy location to your work will be important and consider travelling buses between st julians/sliema and valletta are extremely busy often full so this could impact on your commute and your choice of an area to live.

i have walked many times between st julians and sliema and it takes about 20-25  mins its a pleasant walk along the coast and in the summer is  most enjoyable

one thing i would say is you should come here and look at the places you want to live and see whats availble , because property goes very quickly , also check out facilities etc

reggietarrent wrote:

,,,,,,and obviously it should have heating.....

This, believe it or not is probably the hardest to find :)

robpw2 wrote:

i have walked many times between st julians and sliema and it takes about 20-25  mins its a pleasant walk along the coast and in the summer is  most enjoyable

one thing i would say is you should come here and look at the places you want to live and see whats availble , because property goes very quickly , also check out facilities etc

Thanks for your reply. Yep the walk seems fine at the distance but when you might be in Ta Xbix and living in Paceville it could be 40-50 min walk?

I got the bus the other day and it was misery at rush hour. I'd walk it instead.That said, I would prefer be more efficient with my time and live closer to work.

If you were going to be working in an office in the above areas, where would you live? I'm only asking as a matter of interest. I know everyone is different and for me, I am moving over with my partner so being central and close to social circles is going to be an issue for metting people.

Re looking at apartments. Thanks, yea I plan to spend 1-2 months in short term accommodation whilst over here so I can be very selective with where we end up. I still like to get my research done early so I know where to focus.

So I believe. I'm in Malta at the minute and feel the chill in the evening and have been warned about how cold/damp it can get in winter.

well my partner works in sliema and we live in marsaxlokk in the south of the island its a beautiful fishing village , ... he gets the bus in every morning and returns every evening and it takes him about an hour and a half in morning about about an hour (buses dependent) in the evening .
so were probably  not the best example  of people living in one area working in another lol
we are not people who require lots of social things though so  it suits us down to the ground  mind,
(im currently unemployed due to health problems  so again not sure , but i dont mind travelling on buses and commuting doesnt bother me that much )

how old are you both , i suppose that could also have a factor over the area you wish to choose thought im 32 and my partners 28 so as you say were all different ,

work is going to play a huge role in where you live and getting there but also be aware of how the place will be in the various seasons  of the year , paceville and st julians being popular with a young nightclubbing crowd where as living in ta xbiex or gzira would still mean your close to the action but less noisy and busy , the other thing to think about is where you would do your weekly shopping etc ,  there are a number of lidls on the island (good value and where a lot of locals shop) the nearest to st julians/sliema etc is in san gwann, there is a tower shopping centre in both st julians and sliema but they are not the cheapest of places however they do stock a lot of carrefour products and these can work out cheaper, you also have local shops and fruit and veg vans ,  your nearest market  would be valletta. There is a company that does online shopping but i havent used this so cannot comment on how good  they are but you need to consider how you would get shopping back.

i personally would always given a choice choose to live either the south of the island or inland , places like marsascala , birzebuggia and marsaxlokk are very nice  marsascala is very popular with british expats and it still has some great places to go and eat in an evening and is close to the sea , plus there are plenty of buses to and from valletta. 
so in summary i you need to think about what it is you want from a place ,  i would advise getting a place with a balcony  or a roof terrace as you need to consider clothes drying and stuff , and choose the area thats right for you guys

it is a little cool at the moment and damp is a major issue that we seem to face , even in the summer the dehumidifier has been in use  a lot ,  it can be very humid so there is a lot of  moisture in the air . having said that its stil not as cold as the uk .

If you are looking to find an office space in Ta Xbiex, Gzira area then why don't you rent an apartment there? They are high end developments in Ta Xbiex Marina.Probably you would be able to find rentals to your requirements in your price range (heating might be a problem though, as central heating here means using the air conditioning in the winter).
Actually our landlord has a very nice seafront office to rent in Ta Xbiex and it is much better priced than anything in Sliema or St Julians with the same size and quality.

Good luck!

Sounds like a very similar situation to myself a couple of years ago.  I live in sliema and opted for st julians (Aragon House Business Centre) for offices although also had looked at ta xbiex, and sliema for office space and very limited quality offices in the area that weren't 200sqm+

As for high end and modern accommodation I disagree – you might find it harder to find anything for less than EUR 2,000-2,500 a month in sliema unless you're prepared to compromise on either location or modern interior.

Good luck,

Thanks for all the replies folks - very helpful and insightful!

pevi wrote:

If you are looking to find an office space in Ta Xbiex, Gzira area then why don't you rent an apartment there? They are high end developments in Ta Xbiex Marina.Probably you would be able to find rentals to your requirements in your price range (heating might be a problem though, as central heating here means using the air conditioning in the winter).

Actually our landlord has a very nice seafront office to rent in Ta Xbiex and it is much better priced than anything in Sliema or St Julians with the same size and quality.

Good luck!

Yes this in a good point, and the kind of info I need. I have spent time in St Julians, Sliema and Valetta and out of them all I prefer Sliema for living and due to my work connections.

Ta Xbix is obviously further out than Sliema and I know less about the area but I am open to moving there based on my research. Do you know the names of any of the high end developments? Is there any obvious reason not to live in Ta Xbix or Gzira?

Darrylv wrote:

As for high end and modern accommodation I disagree – you might find it harder to find anything for less than EUR 2,000-2,500 a month in sliema unless you're prepared to compromise on either location or modern interior.

Good luck,

Yep, I'm seeing this too based on some prices at estate agents but I guess everything is up for a haggle!. I think adapting to living further away from Sliema and St Julians might be a good option.

Sliema is a great place to live and we're glad we chose the area as our first location for 2 years.  Now that we're more settled and have a routine I'll happily consider other locations such as staying in Sliema but moving closer to St Julians  along the promenade as you head towards Ballutta Bay and even consider something in Pender Gardens/Spinola Bay.   I doubt such a move will save us anything but we might get more for the rent we're paying.

I thought the same on the haggling but was surprised that landlords were reluctant to take a EUR 3,000-5,000 drop in the annual rent, accusing me of all sorts of crimes against their families, forcing them into poverty but they were happy to allow the place to remain empty for 6 months or more.    I only mention as when I originally planned to come across I thought we would have so many options on both residential and office space – this is what we were led to believe by the professionals we spoke to before coming across but in reality our experience was completely different – saying that you could be lucky.

Darrylv wrote:

I thought the same on the haggling but was surprised that landlords were reluctant to take a EUR 3,000-5,000 drop in the annual rent, accusing me of all sorts of crimes against their families, forcing them into poverty but they were happy to allow the place to remain empty for 6 months or more.    .

That is typical Maltese logic, doesn't surprise me at all. What can also be infuriating is the excuses and lies they tell and expect you to believe them Be prepared to deal with 'children' in these and related matters. I know that's harsh but it is true in my experience and all part of the 'magic' of living here. They expect instant gratification; just as children do.

Malta is not just a rock  - but a massive naughty step....lol

Toon wrote:

Malta is not just a rock  - but a massive naughty step....lol

:lol:  And in more ways than one Toon  ;)

reggietarrent wrote:

Is there any obvious reason not to live in Ta Xbix or Gzira?

There is a small area there you need to be aware of. It's one of two areas in Malta known for, well, a few ladies of a certain profession sometimes offering their services at some hours of day. It's by no means Amsterdam or Soho! I've walked past the area many times in the evening and have never seen or heard of anything unpleasant or dangerous. Once they see you're passing through and minding your own business, they wouldn't even look at you, let alone engaging with you.

It's something to bear in mind but not an obvious reason for avoiding the area.

Thanks for all the info guys.
I have approached a few letting agencies and am going to get some experience in looking at places.

Was there any renting guides posted on this forum with pitfalls, or best practises ?

Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property.

Remember we live in the real world and though there are many things that should be done, they are not always done in the way we may have been used to or we expect.

Beware of agents! Some are good but many are predatory and will try to set you up with something that is not to your specifications. They may also promise you many things, which will not be done.

Be prepared for excuses, some of which may make you feel that your intelligence is being insulted, particularly when it comes to delivery and/or completion times.

1    Always rent for a short period first to ensure you know more about the area, services and neighbours before committing yourself.

2    Always visit the area for external noises at varying times of day and night.

3    Check out parking restrictions.

4    If you have pets, makes sure the landlord will allow them, some may some may not. Some may on the offer of payment of a further damages/cleaning deposit.

5    If sunshine is important to you then try to get a south facing property...it can pay dividends in winter and cut your bills for heating quite considerably. Does your property get plenty of natural light?

6    Penthouses are fine but they are, as a general rule, very cold/damp in winter and too hot in summer. Assess the number of external walls exposed to adverse weather conditions.

7    Make sure you have a lift in the block – hauling gas bottles and shopping up several flights of stairs is not fun as you get older. (Gas delivery will carry the cylinders for you, for a small charge above first floor.)

8    Check for air vents and fully opening windows – are there any signs of black damp, humidity and or condensation – feel the bedding.

9    Does it have insect screens on opening windows and doors; absolutely essential.

10    Does it have fans and or air con or at least fully opening windows?

11    Check out comfort of any furniture; sofas chairs and beds.

12    Are the appliances eco friendly units, power efficient units - same with lighting.

13    Is there a time-switch on the water heaters? - It may seem trivial but it may be worth fitting one.

14    Remember ground floor and mid floor apartments will suffer from a level of noise from units above, especially where young children are located.

15    Check if the rent includes charges for communal costs for lighting, lift and maintenance, and regular cleaning. If you are lucky enough to have access to a pool check that out too. If not then check what the costs are likely to be.

16    Is there an emergency lighting system in place for stair wells and lift shafts in the event of any power cuts? If not makes sure you have access to your own emergency light for the flat and a good torch - check the batteries!

17     If you have your own belongings and furniture assess as to whether you will need a furniture lifter and whether you can get items through the windows and or doors. Is there space for the lifter unit to stand – also note, a permit may be required usually available from the local council offices at about 2-3euros.

18    As there any outdoor spaces available to you to use privately or shared, if so identify them.

19    Are there enough electrical power sockets?

20    Gas cooking (oven and hob) is much cheaper to operate than electric.

21    Check out all your lighting features.

22     Always do an inventory check thoroughly and note any damages or anything missing – get it agreed and signed.

23    Check the water pressure as it can be very low and poor service for showers - check the taste of the water. Some people cannot stand the taste of the water and many get used to the taste. Filtered water can be bought in bulk and delivered at regular intervals in 10L or 20L containers.

24    Check the water tanks for the security of the lids – make sure they are wired down as insect larva can get in. Also check the toilets for flushing and that the stop cocks work properly.

25    TV phone and internet connections – check what's available – satellite systems check if you can have one installed, if that is what you wish.

26    Check for refuse collections, times and days and type of collection.

27    Check out how the bills for utilities will be presented to you.

28    Make sure you are named on the bills as named registered consumers on the account holder/owners bills, or get your bills in your own name - if you don't you may have problems later and you could undoubtedly end up paying more than you should. Ask your landlord to complete ARMS Form H to ensure that you, your family or anyone else legally residing with you, are registered as occupants. Form H here:
https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

This is for the Landlord to do and enables the renter to get the lowest tariff:

29    Do an energy consumption check when you arrive. Check the start readings and after a normal week of consumption check it again and then do a calculation online here: https://mita.gov.mt/billsavings/
30    Ensure you get a copy of the two pages bill from ARMs and not just a handwritten or spreadsheet based extract compiled by the landlord.

31    Ensure you have a record of the rent paid and utility payments – a rent book is a good idea. Most landlords prefer to be paid cash...NB this may be so the landlord can avoid declaring income for tax.

32    Keep your bills and records of payments, this may help you later if you eventually have a problem

Always inspect your water tanks for security of the fittings as once the water is passed the meter it's your problem to pay for leaked water. As the tanks are usually out of sight on the roof - you could have a leak and not know it - another reason to check consumptions regularly and investigate any major fluctuations.

Also, never ever pay an estimated bill - they are often heavily over estimated - you are not obliged too - you may wish to make a contribution towards the bill by way of the meter service charges as that's all you are obliged to pay against the estimated bills. You do have 5 days in which to submit the correct readings and as such they have time to amend and submit a new bill.

redmik wrote:

Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property.

Remember we live in the real world and though there are many things that should be done, they are not always done in the way we may have been used to or we expect.

Beware of agents! Some are good but many are predatory and will try to set you up with something that is not to your specifications. They may also promise you many things, which will not be done.

Be prepared for excuses, some of which may make you feel that your intelligence is being insulted, particularly when it comes to delivery and/or completion times.

1    Always rent for a short period first to ensure you know more about the area, services and neighbours before committing yourself.

2    Always visit the area for external noises at varying times of day and night.

3    Check out parking restrictions.

4    If you have pets, makes sure the landlord will allow them, some may some may not. Some may on the offer of payment of a further damages/cleaning deposit.

5    If sunshine is important to you then try to get a south facing property...it can pay dividends in winter and cut your bills for heating quite considerably. Does your property get plenty of natural light?

6    Penthouses are fine but they are, as a general rule, very cold/damp in winter and too hot in summer. Assess the number of external walls exposed to adverse weather conditions.

7    Make sure you have a lift in the block – hauling gas bottles and shopping up several flights of stairs is not fun as you get older. (Gas delivery will carry the cylinders for you, for a small charge above first floor.)

8    Check for air vents and fully opening windows – are there any signs of black damp, humidity and or condensation – feel the bedding.

9    Does it have insect screens on opening windows and doors; absolutely essential.

10    Does it have fans and or air con or at least fully opening windows?

11    Check out comfort of any furniture; sofas chairs and beds.

12    Are the appliances eco friendly units, power efficient units - same with lighting.

13    Is there a time-switch on the water heaters? - It may seem trivial but it may be worth fitting one.

14    Remember ground floor and mid floor apartments will suffer from a level of noise from units above, especially where young children are located.

15    Check if the rent includes charges for communal costs for lighting, lift and maintenance, and regular cleaning. If you are lucky enough to have access to a pool check that out too. If not then check what the costs are likely to be.

16    Is there an emergency lighting system in place for stair wells and lift shafts in the event of any power cuts? If not makes sure you have access to your own emergency light for the flat and a good torch - check the batteries!

17     If you have your own belongings and furniture assess as to whether you will need a furniture lifter and whether you can get items through the windows and or doors. Is there space for the lifter unit to stand – also note, a permit may be required usually available from the local council offices at about 2-3euros.

18    As there any outdoor spaces available to you to use privately or shared, if so identify them.

19    Are there enough electrical power sockets?

20    Gas cooking (oven and hob) is much cheaper to operate than electric.

21    Check out all your lighting features.

22     Always do an inventory check thoroughly and note any damages or anything missing – get it agreed and signed.

23    Check the water pressure as it can be very low and poor service for showers - check the taste of the water. Some people cannot stand the taste of the water and many get used to the taste. Filtered water can be bought in bulk and delivered at regular intervals in 10L or 20L containers.

24    Check the water tanks for the security of the lids – make sure they are wired down as insect larva can get in. Also check the toilets for flushing and that the stop cocks work properly.

25    TV phone and internet connections – check what's available – satellite systems check if you can have one installed, if that is what you wish.

26    Check for refuse collections, times and days and type of collection.

27    Check out how the bills for utilities will be presented to you.

28    Make sure you are named on the bills as named registered consumers on the account holder/owners bills, or get your bills in your own name - if you don't you may have problems later and you could undoubtedly end up paying more than you should. Ask your landlord to complete ARMS Form H to ensure that you, your family or anyone else legally residing with you, are registered as occupants. Form H here:
https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

This is for the Landlord to do and enables the renter to get the lowest tariff:

29    Do an energy consumption check when you arrive. Check the start readings and after a normal week of consumption check it again and then do a calculation online here: https://mita.gov.mt/billsavings/
30    Ensure you get a copy of the two pages bill from ARMs and not just a handwritten or spreadsheet based extract compiled by the landlord.

31    Ensure you have a record of the rent paid and utility payments – a rent book is a good idea. Most landlords prefer to be paid cash...NB this may be so the landlord can avoid declaring income for tax.

32    Keep your bills and records of payments, this may help you later if you eventually have a problem

Always inspect your water tanks for security of the fittings as once the water is passed the meter it's your problem to pay for leaked water. As the tanks are usually out of sight on the roof - you could have a leak and not know it - another reason to check consumptions regularly and investigate any major fluctuations.

Also, never ever pay an estimated bill - they are often heavily over estimated - you are not obliged too - you may wish to make a contribution towards the bill by way of the meter service charges as that's all you are obliged to pay against the estimated bills. You do have 5 days in which to submit the correct readings and as such they have time to amend and submit a new bill.

very complex list redmik perhaps this should be put in a sticky thread of its own ,

I have already asked for that to be done and it will be. I posted this here as a direct response to a specific question.

You could look at Bahar ic Caghaq. There is a lot of development going on due to the new coastal road access & its a lovely small area with friendly residents just down the road from Sliema. I took the bus today from St Julians at 5.45pm & it took 10 minutes. There are quite a few penthouses coming up for rent that I've seen advertised around €1200 and direct with the owner, which is always a bonus. Rents go up as you get closer to the tourist season so don't wait too long.