Rental contract has been broken

I hope someone can advise us.  We signed a rental contract to start on 30 Oct. Paid deposit and month in advance. The present occupants were relatives of landlord & landlady. Since then we have been given excuse after excuse why we cannot move in (illness, flight delays, etc) and now they say they are refusing to move. We were told today that they were sent a letter from Landlord's lawyer to give them notice to quit, but when the landlady & I went into the apartment nothing had been moved and it looked like they had just 'popped out' briefly, as everything was lying around. She says now that she is going to lawyer today to pay 700 euros to have the court authorise the removal of their possessions tomorrow morning; however my husband insists this is nw looking like a scam as it is just unbelievable!  The whole thing is making me ill.  Any advice please?

this is exactly the sort fo stuff that happens all too often in malta

Agreed Toon. I think some of the problem might be the old rules (if you're in a property before a certain year and your ID card is on that address, then the rent was not increased so it passed down through generations.)
I've noticed over the years that cultural rules/beliefs/ideas just get passed down the generations, never questioned, never researched, just a blind faith that it's 'their right'

This continues irrespective of any new laws. People here just ignore them and it takes a very long time for any legal action or decision to be made.
Lind and Roy, find somewhere else, and then to test if this is a scam demand all your money back.
However, you may well have to kiss this money goodbye and find somewhere else and then try to seek its return at a later date.

coxf0001 wrote:

Agreed Toon. I think some of the problem might be the old rules (if you're in a property before a certain year and your ID card is on that address, then the rent was not increased so it passed down through generations.)
I've noticed over the years that cultural rules/beliefs/ideas just get passed down the generations, never questioned, never researched, just a blind faith that it's 'their right'

i agree and i think in this case its spot in  - the tenancy / rents laws here do get passed down through the family whether theyve lived there or not.....

My only advice is to demand the deposit and rent back NOW as they clearly cannot proceed - thats their problem not yours - move on find somehere else sharpish... if you have to do it legally it could take years... but a legal letter threatening legal action may do the trick or as a last resort a threat of reporting to the tax man

Play the nice guy first though, just explain that you need ot move sharpish and the property isnt ready - so a return of the cash is essential...

whichever way you choose GODOD LUCK