Guillain-Barré Syndrome

Hi,

A relative of mine has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome in Vietnam. Has anyone else had any experience with this disease here? We are very worried about the treatment.

Thanks

First, sorry to hear about your tragedy!

Next, I'm not a medic nor do I have any neurological knowledge. However, I had a similar situation in my family, though not in VN. Our case was also a rare disorder, no cure and unfortunately 100% fatal.

My first advise to you is to focus on the positive and don't panic. Despite the fact that such a diagnosis is a massive shock, you have to be glad that the right diagnosis was made. This allows you to search and target a treatment. I quickly googled Guillain-Barré Syndrome and as you probably already know, there is no cure.

But that does not mean anything! KEEP HOPE!

Plasmapheresis and immunoglobulin therapy seem to be the most successful treatments. I would contact Cho Ray hospital and get in touch with the neurologists to see if they are able to perform and monitor these therapies. Don't expect that you'll find any expert (anywhere in the world) who has vast experience in this disorder. Rare disorders/diseases, as the name indicates, are not frequently treated and I would assume that even an experienced neurologist of any average clinic has a maximum of maybe 1-5 encounters with such a patient in a whole career, maybe less or none at all.

If Cho Ray cannot perform this, I would search for other clinics in maybe Bangkok or Singapore but as said, don't expect that anyone will tell you, yes sure come, we do this here on a daily basis.

I wish you well and hope your family member makes a full recovery.

Here some info from a source I used to get info from:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond … n-20025832