Interracial family

Good day!

I have been an avid reader on the forum(s) and I appreciate all the information that assisted in making our transition to Bahrain a smooth one.  We will be on the island before the year ends (YAY!!!).  I am from the Caribbean and I am hoping Bahrain is a typical island life- laid back and easy going. 

We have a house already and pretty much sorted out schooling for our children.  Considering we are moving to a new culture, I wanted to find out how interracial families are treated.  I understand people are people and there will always be exception.  I am just curious in general how it is received.  I am Caribbean American and my husband is White.  Thanking you in advance for your forthright responses.

Hi Princessnice

Welcome to the Forum and to Bahrain soon.

Bahrain is indeed a nice place. Life can be a little fast here, because this is not a typical island. Do not expect lovely beaches with palm trees along the shore, either :) But it does have a lot to offer.

And about your main question, you and your family should be fine. I doubt very much if anyone will even bother you guys. Lots of Bahrainis are from mixed parentage, and from different cultures. So they are used to families with mixed origins.

Best wishes.

Thank you Farhaz!

Drats! I was certainly looking forward to sitting on the beach under some the coconut tree listen to the waves and some reggae music. Oh well! Guess I'll have to wake up my adventurous side.

I am excited about learning about the Bahraini culture and other cultures on the island. I'm also looking forward to volunteering and/or finding a job.

Thanks again.

Hi, to be honest, I don't think i've seen a place which has so many different multi cultural marrianges all different nationalities, and all living together in peace, so nice to see children who can speak up to three languages at a time. Schools with classrooms filled with up to 5 or 6 different mixed nationalities. So definitely no worries coming here. I wished if you wouldn't have referred to your partner as just '"White "   it's a bit insulting don't you think. Does she have a nationality ?    Some people refer to me as a White Lady, it's the biggest insult i find. I am simply British.

Bonnylass:

Thank you for your candid response. I'm pleased our children won't have to deal with prejudice.

I don't think I was insulting to my HUSBAND. I established that we are American; I'm from the Caribbean and He is White. I'm not sure if you want me to say White American...

Well, thanks again for your response. It wasn't my intention to offend you.

No offense taken, Its just you referred to yourself as a named nationality and to your husband as a color. Lol!  Don't worry I just want to hassle you a bit to see if you have a sense of humor or not ! So when are you guys coming here, and how many little ones, what ages etc..........what schools did you choose, basically just let us know a little bit abwt you. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask for anything. To new friends. Take care.

Well, in America, people see things differently.

We are a family of 4 (2 active boys)...  We should be there before the year ends. We're still trying to get our household things sorted.

I'm a speech-language pathologist so I'm hoping to get a job or volunteer somewhere.

Here's to making new friends...