Working a local job as a foreigner.

i posted this thread https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=412083 and im still unsure on this question so i figured id post this question in the proper section....

so anyway..... I'm not a very educated young person, to be honest with you lot i have an intellectual disability but.... I'm sure i could learn the trade of being a Bar-tender with some effort and i'm really hoping it will be possible to get this job in Vietnam at a hotel/hostel/bar/whatever.....

am i kidding myself thinking i can get such a job in Vietnam or is it strictly locals

i really love Vietnam and i feel besides for this my only other option is opening a business which would require almost all my savings to be able to do.... with no idea how it would turn out.

thanks for taking time out of your day to read/reply, it means so much to me, living in Vietnam would be a dream come true...

Have you lived in Vietnam before?
If so,how long?
Lived in any developing country before?
Got to ask your disability. If you want info,you got to be open.
What are your job skills? All of them.
And final question- is your desire to live here about a girl?
I can see your avatar and assume it's you there.

jimbream wrote:

If so,how long? only a holiday (three times), roughly 2 months each time.
Lived in any developing country before? ^

Got to ask your disability. If you want info,you got to be open: like i said intellectual disability (it
takes me longer to learn things) (i guess is the best way to put it, I'm on the Australian disability pension).

What are your job skills? All of them. i have quite decent amount knowledge on computing but nothing related to jobs, i worked slightly as a waiter for my mothers restaurant when i was a teenager, I'm not planing on moving to Vietnam until next year, my plans are to put my head down and get some real solid work experience i can take over to Vietnam, and honestly i feel pretty confident about bar-tending over the course of the next year, (before i go to vietnam).

And final question- is your desire to live here about a girl?: my desire to visit Vietnam is because of how much i love the country i wake up in the morning feeling happy, the locals the food everything is fantastic and its a really a great holiday destination for me, but yes my reason for wanting to STAY is for a girl, but besides for her i was already considering moving to Vietnam but i sort of came to a cross roads when i felt like the only job opportunity for foreigners is teaching..

I can see your avatar and assume it's you there: yes that's me and her

if things didn't work out between me and her, id still be happy to live in Vietnam.

^^^ i believe that's what you was getting at when asking me about her.

Sorry to shoot down your dreams, but a Foreigner can only get a job in VN,  where there is no VN available with those skills, ( Same in Aus for a Foreigner , and that's why most Foreigner jobs are on the Technical side ), also to work in any hospitality industry  in VN, ( even illegally ), you would need a good grasp of the VN language, especially as a bar tender.
  You best bet is to work with your girlfriend , in a Registered Business partnership.

Another problem you might have is with your Govt, if you intend to rely on your Benefit payment, will the Aus Govt still pay it while you are not in Aus, last I heard , people on some benefits were only allowed out of the country for a certain amount of time before their benefit was stopped.

DylanG wrote:
jimbream wrote:

If so,how long? only a holiday (three times), roughly 2 months each time.
Lived in any developing country before? ^

Got to ask your disability. If you want info,you got to be open: like i said intellectual disability (it
takes me longer to learn things)ADD or as they call it lately ADHD? (i guess is the best way to put it, I'm on the Australian disability pension).

What are your job skills? All of them.All job skills? Teacher/trainer/business instructor/builder/manager? i have quite decent amount knowledge on computing but nothing related to jobs,non work related computer skills is called 'understanding Internet protocols and typing skill' i worked slightly as a waiter for my mothers restaurant when i was a teenager, I'm not planing on moving to Vietnam until next year, my plans are to put my head down and get some real solid work experience i can take over to Vietnam, and honestly i feel pretty confident about bar-tending average monthly salary for Vietnamese waitstaff/bartender is 3-4 mil VND/month. over the course of the next year, (before i go to vietnam).

And final question- is your desire to live here about a girl?: my desire to visit Vietnam is because of how much i love the country 6 months here over 3 years i wake up in the morning feeling happy, the locals the food everything is fantastic and its a really a great holiday it's a great place for vacation destination for me, but yes my reason for wanting to STAY is for a girl, but besides for her i was already considering moving to Vietnam but i sort of came to a cross roads when i felt like the only job opportunity for foreigners is teaching..Is being a teacher of English
bad in your eyes?Helping This country develop it's International footprint on the world through English is below your acceptability?

I can see your avatar and assume it's you there: yes that's me and her

if things didn't work out between me and her, id still be happy to live in Vietnam.

^^^ i believe that's what you was getting at when asking me about her.

NB. Bold text is from me,Jimbream,and not from the OP

And now here's something interesting....
http://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/bilder/panther-100-500cc-1950-eines-2213.jpg

bluenz wrote:

Sorry to shoot down your dreams, but a Foreigner can only get a job in VN,  where there is no VN available with those skills, ( Same in Aus for a Foreigner , and that's why most Foreigner jobs are on the Technical side ), also to work in any hospitality industry  in VN, ( even illegally ), you would need a good grasp of the VN language, especially as a bar tender.
  You best bet is to work with your girlfriend , in a Registered Business partnership.

Another problem you might have is with your Govt, if you intend to rely on your Benefit payment, will the Aus Govt still pay it while you are not in Aus, last I heard , people on some benefits were only allowed out of the country for a certain amount of time before their benefit was stopped.

ahhh is this only with Vietnam, I've talked to a bunch of foreigners passing by in Hoi-an and 1 of em was telling me how easy it was to get a job at say a hostel for low pay and free accom,

and yes I'm fully aware i will lose the disability pensions support, thus the reason I'm aiming for a work plan, if i could get the full pension over there i wouldn't be stressing like i am because its $1600 a month, and the chance of me getting it back with the stricter government at the moment is slim to none because I'm not disabled "enough", but that's how strongly i feel about moving to Vietnam, i guess you're right about the business i might have to delay my trip to Vietnam then until i have much larger capitol for the business.

even if by some miracle i could get a teaching job it would be terrible for my students, i would be a terrible teacher if it wasn't for spellchecker id spell most things wrong, my hand writing is unreadable, and I'm sure i make tons of makes with punctuation comma's and what have you.

now lets say i felt confident about teaching, from what i hear you need a degree for a workers permit, and most private schools won't hire you nowa days unless you have a permit/some prior teaching experience.

as far as the bartenders wages are:

^^^^ i don't need a huge wage, probably would need more then $200, but i don't know yet, i can cut alot of the westernized luxury's out of my life just fine, id be happy enough just to be there, in a small "room" that cost $40 a month, $20 if shared, drinking water and having rice and fish for dinner, im golden

There are many aus like living in VN. Maybe bc of weather.

seems you have nothing to lose in Aus Op. If so, you can try to live here for 3 months before making decision. What makes you feel nervous?

Dejavu.dot wrote:

seems you have nothing to lose in Aus Op. If so, you can try to live here for 3 months before making decision. What makes you feel nervous?

the only thing that makes me nervous is not having an income while in Vietnam, as im giving up my disability pension to move there and if i have to return to Australia unemployed that would be very shameful for myself...

but after talking to her on the phone for 5 minutes my stresses just disapear she really makes me so happy

i tell her maybe i can't find job as bar-tender in Vietnam, she says noo i think you can find job as bar-tender easy here, then i said no i don't think so not for foreigner then she say i can help you setup a business here, and if that not work out i go to work and you stay home and learn to cook for me, i laughed so hard im sure i woke the house up :P

and then when we have children you stay home and look after them

she sure has a good sense of humor :)

Hi!
- The amount of money you are thinking of is not enough to afford a comfortable life in Vietnam. Have you seriously thought about accommodation, traveling,... and some other things that don't cost Vietnamese but do with foreigners?
- Please specific about what you CAN do! Forget all about skills, qualifications,... If I know more, I may help.

Well, best idea happen to me now for you is to be a receptionist. It doesn't ask more skill than a good English speaking & communication skill. If you're self-confident with bar-terndering, then go ahead. One idea may be good is open a small restaurant that focus on only 1 or 2 Aus dishes that you are real good, which don't have much in Hoi An. You must have some experience being waiter in your mom's restaurant. How's about a small beer pub with some typical snatch from Aus where people can relax at cheap price? Try some kinds of that (we call "quán") at Bui Vien St., D1, HCMC if you have chance.

I think you should start with these above jobs, which make you easier to get a visa or WP. 1. A waiter/receptionist --> 2. Bartender --> Bartender or Cook of your own tiny nice restaurant. Why not? :)

I think you're setting yourself up for heartbreak and financial ruin. Just my opinion.

Scarletvn wrote:

Hi!
- The amount of money you are thinking of is not enough to afford a comfortable life in Vietnam. Have you seriously thought about accommodation, traveling,... and some other things that don't cost Vietnamese but do with foreigners?
- Please specific about what you CAN do! Forget all about skills, qualifications,... If I know more, I may help.

Well, best idea happen to me now for you is to be a receptionist. It doesn't ask more skill than a good English speaking & communication skill. If you're self-confident with bar-terndering, then go ahead. One idea may be good is open a small restaurant that focus on only 1 or 2 Aus dishes that you are real good, which don't have much in Hoi An. You must have some experience being waiter in your mom's restaurant. How's about a small beer pub with some typical snatch from Aus where people can relax at cheap price? Try some kinds of that (we call "quán") at Bui Vien St., D1, HCMC if you have chance.

I think you should start with these above jobs, which make you easier to get a visa or WP. 1. A waiter/receptionist --> 2. Bartender --> Bartender or Cook of your own tiny nice restaurant. Why not? :)

i would probably just go the route of a tailor-shop, if i was to open my own business this girl has such vast knowledge and has alot of good connections, it will practically be self run, and ill do my "best" to help out here and there aka picking up food for lunch, collecting fabrics... etc etc

also i believe receptionist require a degree of sorts, and even still there's many fantastic  Vietnamese receptionist that have a large amount of knowledge of the area... so when people ask where would you recommend us to go for dinner etc etc etc, they can answer these questions no problem... so if it doesn't happen to require a degree maybe after a couple months of living there getting to know the area i could apply :).

Adhome01 wrote:

I think you're setting yourself up for heartbreak and financial ruin. Just my opinion.

care to elaborate?, I'm extremely unhappy in Australia and the whole idea of moving to Vietnam has created a spark in my eyes i'm sure that hasn't been there in a long time.

financial ruin, i don't really have much money to lose, worst comes to worst ill have knuckle down and get a job in Australia

Hi!
1. Make some friends in Hoi an. You can't get job right after when you arrive there anyway. So, take your time to make some good local friends. Ask them to help looking around or introducing job if they know any. They may help to make your chance come.
2. If not a receptionist, then make it a bellman. Most of Vietnamese still tend to overvalue (no offense here) foreigners. They love to see/talk/work with foreigners. I think your English is better than other Vietnamese staff btw. Moreover, if guests are foreigners, they will feel more comfortable to talk with foreigners. Some hotels must be happy if they have you as their staff. It's better to have a foreigner staff with local salary. They may not care about your qualification/decree. Again, make some good friends who can cover you with that! Ask your gf to ask around if she has good connections like you say. Hoi An is small.
3. Receptionist is not tour guide. Don't worry too much! In the end of the day, there's still your (future) colleagues who can help you to answer those questions, which you will learn by asking them and answering to guests or just simply listening to them.
4. Good luck with your coming tailor shop or whatever that makes you happily stay in Hoi An! I'll visit you when I come there! :)
5. Ask some tour agencies in Hoi an if they have services like motorbike to take tourists around the city. Take time to learn about Hoi An, and be a nice talkative foreigner tour guide/xe om (motorbike)!

So, to make it clear, you don't have any qualification or decree? If it's too difficult, tell me, I have some friends in Hoi An.

Good luck!

Ask you friend to have a look in these sites or you can dig them by yourself! I saw many jobs suitable for you:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viec-lam … 4806419131http://www.careerlink.vn/tim-viec-lam/g … ant/569202http://vn.indeed.com/Việc-là … #7897;i-Anhttp://www.timvieclam.com/j?q=&l=H& … 843;ng+Namhttp://hcm.vieclam.24h.com.vn/danh-sach … 805p1.htmlhttp://www.careerjet.com.vn/viec-lam-ta … 21865.html

Good luck!

Scarletvn wrote:

Hi!
1. Make some friends in Hoi an. You can't get job right after when you arrive there anyway. So, take your time to make some good local friends. Ask them to help looking around or introducing job if they know any. They may help to make your chance come.
2. If not a receptionist, then make it a bellman. Most of Vietnamese still tend to overvalue (no offense here) foreigners. They love to see/talk/work with foreigners. I think your English is better than other Vietnamese staff btw. Moreover, if guests are foreigners, they will feel more comfortable to talk with foreigners. Some hotels must be happy if they have you as their staff. It's better to have a foreigner staff with local salary. They may not care about your qualification/decree. Again, make some good friends who can cover you with that! Ask your gf to ask around if she has good connections like you say. Hoi An is small.
3. Receptionist is not tour guide. Don't worry too much! In the end of the day, there's still your (future) colleagues who can help you to answer those questions, which you will learn by asking them and answering to guests or just simply listening to them.
4. Good luck with your coming tailor shop or whatever that makes you happily stay in Hoi An! I'll visit you when I come there! :)
5. Ask some tour agencies in Hoi an if they have services like motorbike to take tourists around the city. Take time to learn about Hoi An, and be a nice talkative foreigner tour guide/xe om (motorbike)!

So, to make it clear, you don't have any qualification or decree? If it's too difficult, tell me, I have some friends in Hoi An.
no i don't have any higher education study unfortunately, and for sure i plan to spend a good few months searching for a job before i give up and start a business, i have a few friends in hoi-an, one being a bellhop manager, sadly he only gets paid $1oo a month, but sometimes he gets $200 from tips, i asked him how did you live off only $100 per month, and he told me his wife looks after him, haha >.< anyway thanks for your help Scarletvn
Good luck!

DylanG wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

care to elaborate?, I'm extremely unhappy in Australia and the whole idea of moving to Vietnam has created a spark in my eyes i'm sure that hasn't been there in a long time.

financial ruin, i don't really have much money to lose, worst comes to worst ill have knuckle down and get a job in Australia

If I were you I would knuckle down and get a job in Oz. As hard as that is you may then have money that you can use to head across to Vietnam if only for a holiday each time. 

If you do decide to make Vietnam your home then make sure you have a plan B in place in case things go pear shaped. I do not know what your disability is but you need to factor in medical insurance cover too. 

You would not be able to survive on a local salary in Vietnam. 

Good luck.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Northern Aus is almost the same as VN weather wise.
  I think many Foreigners want to live in VN because it is cheaper, but we better make the most of it, I don't how the Govt works out it's inflation rate, but I don't believe it.
It's definitely not for the " freedom ", or the ease of doing anything that involves the Govt.

OP needs to look at the BIG picture as well, many Aus/NZers, come here in their younger years, but unless they work 5 yrs in their home countries,  before they reach retirement age, ( Aus 67, NZ 65+ ), they are not entitled to a Pension, plus by that time, no one will receive any sort of pension if they leave their native country.
     I knew a bloke on the " Dole ", who used to go to Bali every 3 months, just put his " bludge " money on hold for 2 weeks until he returned,  this bloke also owned a $700k property in Darwin, ( given to him when his father died, he was also receiving $180 pw from a shack he rented out on this property, while he lived in the main house ).

DylanG wrote:

i tell her maybe i can't find job as bar-tender in Vietnam, she says noo i think you can find job as bar-tender easy here, then i said no i don't think so not for foreigner then she say i can help you setup a business here, and if that not work out i go to work and you stay home and learn to cook for me, i laughed so hard im sure i woke the house up :P

and then when we have children you stay home and look after them

she sure has a good sense of humor :)

If I were you, I would feel happy too. She is so sweet. I wish you the best here.

bluenz wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Northern Aus is almost the same as VN weather wise.
  I think many Foreigners want to live in VN because it is cheaper, but we better make the most of it, I don't how the Govt works out it's inflation rate, but I don't believe it.
It's definitely not for the " freedom ", or the ease of doing anything that involves the Govt.

OP needs to look at the BIG picture as well, many Aus/NZers, come here in their younger years, but unless they work 5 yrs in their home countries,  before they reach retirement age, ( Aus 67, NZ 65+ ), they are not entitled to a Pension, plus by that time, no one will receive any sort of pension if they leave their native country.
     I knew a bloke on the " Dole ", who used to go to Bali every 3 months, just put his " bludge " money on hold for 2 weeks until he returned,  this bloke also owned a $700k property in Darwin, ( given to him when his father died, he was also receiving $180 pw from a shack he rented out on this property, while he lived in the main house ).

yeah i looked in to the retirement pension, in aus you need to be 70 years old before obtaining 1, you need to live in Australia two years before applying, and to obtain the FULL pension you need to have lived in Australia for 35 years, so if i wanted this pension id need to go back to Australia 2 years before I'm 70 and then ill only receive a partial amount, as far as i know it has nothing to do with working.

stumpy wrote:
DylanG wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

If I were you I would knuckle down and get a job in Oz. As hard as that is you may then have money that you can use to head across to Vietnam if only for a holiday each time. 

If you do decide to make Vietnam your home then make sure you have a plan B in place in case things go pear shaped. I do not know what your disability is but you need to factor in medical insurance cover too. 

You would not be able to survive on a local salary in Vietnam. 

Good luck.

well i plan on getting a job in aus anyway to help with work experience and savings towards my trip, so if i CAN'T live there ill just return to aus and continue working.

anyway this is getting a tad off topic i started this thread wanting to know if local jobs in Vietnam was available to foreigners, and which i see they most likely aren't... thanks guys.

Good luck to you and girl gf trying to make it in Vietnam, who knows this might end up as your real Home :)

hangndt wrote:

Good luck to you and girl gf trying to make it in Vietnam, who knows this might end up as your real Home :)

thanks a lot mate, i sure hope so :).

You've got a lot of guts going there mate to chase your dream, you seem like a good guy too so I really hope it all works out for you over there. I'm planning on heading out next year myself, just gonna take the time to save as much as possible beforehand to fallback on incase it goes tits up, so recommend you do the same, get a big chuck of change in your aussie account to give you a bit of time to get things together...you'll make your way one way or the other, all the best dude!