Car meter reading rollback

Dear Guys,

I have Toyota Corolla Model 2001 and 2 months ago, when I changed my car battery, I noticed that my meter reading was rollback from 440,xxx to 202,xxx. I didn't understand at all where I did mistake. Although battery is working fine and my digital reading meter is also working fine but reading has rollback. So please advise, what to do in this situation do I take my car to Mechanic to fix it or leave as it is. Next month I will go to get done my car inspection in order to renew my Car Registration. Would it be OK if I explain them about this while inspecting my cars. I guess my last reading would be saved in their system and they can blame me to rollback my meter intentionally.

Please advise.

* Battery change usually effect trip meter, are you sure you are viewing odometer instead of Trip meter? Try pressing the button & see if it rolls back, if your odometer is "analog - spinning wheels".
* If it is really changed like you said then perhaps, its changed from kilo meters to miles, calculation will help.
* your odometer is multifunctioning and take it for inspection
* Try fixing the mileage by unplugging & reconnecting the battery, if you are lucky it will further reduce the mileage giving more value to your car and a golden opportunity to sell :P  just kidding.
OR last solution I could think of is to drive missing miles before taking it for inspection :)

Almost all modern vehicles no have digital / LCD odometers, which unfortunately are much more susceptible to tampering than the old mechanical odometers.

While the LDC screen for the odometer is dependent on battery power the odometer itself IS NOT and the true mileage of your vehicle will be stored in the central computer chip. Rather than mess around with your car and risk causing other damage, if disconnecting and re-connecting the battery does not resolve the problem, and if the problem isn't that you're looking at the trip meter or the odometer hasn't somehow switched from kilometers to miles, then you should take your car to an authroized dealer who will certainly be able to diagnose and resolve the problem.

Thanks guys for y our input. Can anyone please advise that did inspection guys save the meter reading in computer while inspecting the vehicle? if I go to MVPI for inspection my car without telling them about rollback, can they notice about meter reading rollback because last time when I have finished my MVPI, meter reading was 433,xxx and now is 205,xxx.

Please advise.

nimmiboy wrote:

Thanks guys for y our input. Can anyone please advise that did inspection guys save the meter reading in computer while inspecting the vehicle? if I go to MVPI for inspection my car without telling them about rollback, can they notice about meter reading rollback because last time when I have finished my MVPI, meter reading was 433,xxx and now is 205,xxx.
Please advise.

I don't think they'd give a fuss, with regards to your previous MVPI check...just go through the process anew  and update us. ;)