Work with no degree

How dose a person get work that dose not have a degree but has been working at the same job for over 7 years. I think all jobs here want a person with a degree. Do they think all people had the money to get a degree.

It's not like that ONLY in Vietnam, but all over the world. It's a sign of the post global financial crisis and high unemployment era we live in today. Given that there are more individuals looking for employment these days employers can afford to be a great deal more picky than they once used to be.

There was a time when experience counted for a great deal, nowadays while it is still extremely important employers want candidates to have the formal education to back up that experience.

Of course it also depends on the kind of position you're looking for... some positions simply require a university degree and that's never going to change.

that makes me laugh because I do not know of a school in the USA  or any country that a person can get a degree in Warehousing.

At least 5 years experience working in that field is enough for you to get a work permit in Vietnam, as long as you can prove it by Confirmation on Experience Letter issue by your former company. 2 or 3 Confirmation Letters combine is fine too.

Go read Qualifications

Hi,

I think Billafish2 (yumi!!) doesn't mean Word permit. He means certifications. I don't think the rule can really take effected in society.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

I think Billafish2 (yumi!!) doesn't mean Word permit. He means certifications. I don't think the rule can really take effected in society.

Regards

Ya, my mistake. I misunderstood :)

Actually I am confused too. Why does he mention about degree? The reason can relate to the law.

well a degree dose not mean a person knows anything about that type of work. So why is a degree even looked for. it is that simple.

Billafish2 wrote:

well a degree dose not mean a person knows anything about that type of work. So why is a degree even looked for. it is that simple.

The rule used to be ANY type of Uni Degree for a Teaching position, or 5 yrs teaching experience, now it is nearly as bad, you need a Teaching Degree, but don't need any teaching experience????
If you are hoping to get a job in VN, the company first has to advertise that position 30 days in advance,  ( in Nationa newspapers ), and make sure there are no VN's who can fill that position.
I was talking to a Year 12 VN student , I asked him was he was going to study next year when he goes to Uni, he said Tourism, I was a little bewildered, a Uni Degree for Tourism???? He said he wants to work in Japan,  so he has to learn all about Japan, ( Geography 101? ).
   Seems a waste of a University education, or does it really tell us how good a VN Uni degree is?

Then if a person has more than 5 years experience in a field they can apply and own their work permit without work in Vietnam?

bluenz wrote:
Billafish2 wrote:

The rule used to be ANY type of Uni Degree for a Teaching position, or 5 yrs teaching experience, now it is nearly as bad, you need a Teaching Degree, but don't need any teaching experience????
If you are hoping to get a job in VN, the company first has to advertise that position 30 days in advance,  ( in Nationa newspapers ), and make sure there are no VN's who can fill that position.
I was talking to a Year 12 VN student , I asked him was he was going to study next year when he goes to Uni, he said Tourism, I was a little bewildered, a Uni Degree for Tourism???? He said he wants to work in Japan,  so he has to learn all about Japan, ( Geography 101? ).
   Seems a waste of a University education, or does it really tell us how good a VN Uni degree is?

It seems like the University sponsored councillors are employed for short periods.

A while ago,all students wanted to study medicine.

Then later,the next group of school seniors wanted to study engineering.

The following group of grads wanted a degree in banking.

After that it was a degree in the environmental studies field.

And now  in 2014,tourism is the rage.

What will be the 'in' degree for next years school seniors??
Sustainable styrene remodelling ?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3743/13230305085_bd062c0f62_m.jpg

Billafish2 wrote:

Then if a person has more than 5 years experience in a field they can apply and own their work permit without work in Vietnam?

You can only get a Work Permit  from an Employer in VN, unless you have a registered Limited Liability Company, ( plenty of info on this in the VEC thread at the moment. )

The Certificate is just something that make sure you have a basic knowledge for your position.

But it doesn't tell anything from you.

In my opinion, you could also find for a position in a foreign company as they will actually look at your working experiences rather than your certificate, they will see if you have personal skills, your behavior, and how long had you engaging in your work in the past.

However, when you apply for a Vietnamese Company, i don't think it would be easy for you to get a position here just because the popularity in Vnamese firms destine for Degree, most prefer than if you don't have.

All of these above is just my personal opinion, you can also find out more information through other people, other sources of course and give you the final decision.

Good luck! :)

I even looked at Singapore and it is the same there. and yes i did get 2 replies it is better than  here. I have not got any here. so that tells me it is part of just a idea that has spread.

Billafish2 wrote:

that makes me laugh because I do not know of a school in the USA  or any country that a person can get a degree in Warehousing.

That would be a degree in Supply Chain and Logistics Management or Logistics and Distribution Management. The vast majority of warehouse supervisors and managers in the U.S. have degrees.

The bottom line is no one will hire you here unless you have some specialized knowledge that isn't readily available.

I think certification is like a ticket which "usage" is arranging people in their right gate. But at the same time, people usually want to do the other jobs..

bluenz wrote:

Hi, just want to update, this procedure is not applied anymore. Decree 102/2013 eliminated this step, but added another step that the Company has to register its Need of using foreigner to Provincial People's Committee, state that this year how many foreigner you want to hire, for what position, how much you will pay for that person, what is your requirement for that position (degree, experience)...Then wait for 2 weeks to obtain an Approval on need of using foreigner. You only can apply for a WP after be granted this Approval.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

If you are hoping to get a job in VN, the company first has to advertise that position 30 days in advance,  ( in National newspapers ), and make sure there are no VN's who can fill that position.

Hi, just want to update, this procedure is not applied anymore. Decree 102/2013 eliminated this step, but added another step that the Company have to register its Need of using foreigner to Provincial People's Committee, state that this year how many foreigner you want to hire, for what position, how much you will pay for that person, what is your requirement for that position (degree, experience)...Then wait for 2 weeks to obtain an Approval on need of using foreigner. You only can apply for a WP after be granted this Approval.

Thanks VanKhanh, just goes to show you how hard it is keeping up with this Govt, , and I don't like quoting anything more than 6 months to a year old.
  I see on my new work permit, that my Job assignment is cử nhân, which Google translates as " Bachelor ", ( I wish ). I thought that  job assignment is the job position?

bluenz wrote:

I see on my new work permit, that my Job assignment is cử nhân, which Google translates as " Bachelor ", ( I wish ). I thought that  job assignment is the job position?

So they made mistake. Cử nhân (Barchelor) should be filled in at Item 5. Professional Qualification (skill) . Can you tell me what did they put on item 5? Job assignment must be position, such as General Director

Anyway I never ever receive a Work permit without typo. The latest one I have, it say "kinh nghiệp làm việc" instead of "kinh nghiệm làm việc" (working experience). I was like, what the hell is "kinh nghiệp" ???!

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

So they made mistake. Cử nhân (Barchelor) should be filled in at Item 5. Professional Qualification (skill) . Can you tell me what did they put on item 5? Job assignment must be position, such as General Director

Anyway I never ever receive a Work permit without typo. The latest one I have, its say "kinh nghiệp làm việc" instead of "kinh nghiệm làm việc" (working experience). I was like, what the hell is "kinh nghiệp" ???!

Professional Qualification ( Skill )  is " Dai Hoc "   , ( University ), maybe I qualify for the TV program, " The Bachelor " now?  Can't wait to tell the wife I'm a Bachelor now.

bluenz wrote:
VanKhanh Ho wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Anyway I never ever receive a Work permit without typo. The latest one I have, its say "kinh nghiệp làm việc" instead of "kinh nghiệm làm việc" (working experience). I was like, what the hell is "kinh nghiệp" ???!

Professional Qualification ( Skill )  is " Dai Hoc "   , ( University ), maybe I qualify for the TV program, " The Bachelor " now?  Can't wait to tell the wife I'm a Bachelor now.

:lol::lol::lol: