Should I learn Swahili?

I know that English is the official language of Uganda, and widely spoken, but I'm curious if it's worth it to learn Swahili. I know Swahili is widely spoken in Kenya, but not so sure about Uganda-- especially with the different tribal languages spoken there.

Any advice, insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Learning Swahili is not a bad idea. But I would advise you to focus more on Luganda. It will get you around the city. Most Natives in Uganda speak Luganda compared to Swahili.

Thank you. I'll try to find some resources online, maybe a phrase book. I think the closest Rosetta Stone comes to is Swahili.

All the best. Enjoy yourself.

Hi,

In Kampala Swahili is hardly used, it'll only come in handy if talking to security guards, police, transport officers etc. If you are going to be based in the Central areas, Luganda is best. In some parts of the North or East Swahili is regularly used. I wouldn't recommend speaking Luganda to Ugandans in the Western region, though the languages can at times sound similiar the cultures are very different.

With that said, Ugandans are very welcoming and you'll find that they wish to speak with you in English. It's always nice to visit a country and to make an effort to learn some basic phrases in the popular languages spoken but English is very common here.

:)

yeah its good for you but also depends on where you want to stay during your time in the country