Moving to Malaysia

Hi All, I need your advise on this please.

I will be moving to Malaysia anytime soon as I am just waiting for the approval of my employment pass. In case my visa will be approved by October, I will start moving to Malaysia by November and then I will travel back to my home country by December to celebrate Christmas with my Family :). Will my 1 week vacation in my home country affect the counting of my residency in MY?

Thanks,
Jayz

I guess you are talking about tax residency because that is the only type of "residency" you get by working in Malaysia. Just working in the country does not earn you any points or the ability to become a resident in any way.

It does not usually take an employer more than a couple of weeks to get permission to hire a foreigner, so please beware if you are asked to pay any money for your visa, training, accommodation, etc. That is how job scams work.

As you will be paying 26% tax on your earnings in 2014 anyway, it does not matter if you leave the country because you can't qualify for tax residency in 2014 because you will not be in the country for 182 days.

You can start to earn your tax residency in 2015 by working 182 days continuously (see below regarding absence due to holidays/social needs) and paying 25% (yes it has been reduced) tax until that time. From July 2015 you will pay only the normal tax rates and when you file your tax return in April 2016, you can be refunded for tax overpayment. 

However, you cannot leave the country in 2015 for social (holiday) purposes of longer than 14 days, without having to start counting the 182 days continuous presence from zero again.

Hi Gravitas - This is legit. The company will pay all the expenses (visa application, plane ticket & accomodation). So, the tax for Nov & Dec 2014 which is 26% will not be refunded anymore since I will not be able to complete 182 days in CY14? and it will be better to just move in MY by Jan 2015?