Tattoos in Firenze

Hello,
I am an american with tattoos, after recently traveling to Florence, I have noticed maybe the USA is the most liberal when it comes to tattoos. I did not see many tattoos at all while abroad. So that being said, my question is:
What is the consensus regarding tattoos? Are they taken as disrespect? Here in Los Angeles, even police have full sleeves so people generally don't look twice, but I am planning on relocating to stay in Italy and I just wanna get a feel for the general opinion. How will it affect my job opportunities.
Thanks,
ZZ

I just came across your as by accident. I am a girl living in Florence and I have full sleeves. It is VERY rare for an Italian to be covered in tattoos. Some people "excuse" you because you are American however my advice to you is to keep them covered when making introductions. They are not afraid to judge you!

The culture here is very different. People will stare at you excessively and will be quite rude, not every one but a lot of people will. Larger cities like Rome and Milan, I have seen much more acceptance but Florence is a small city and if you can not speak Italian or show some kind of ignorance in any way, the tattoos will just contribute to that.

That being said, let people get to know you first. Then you can reveal them and they really can't dislike you for that. Over all it just isn't common here.

Good luck!

Maryanne.
Appreciate the reply. It is just as I suspected. Kinda the same worldwide. There are some places, but I see that there are still many conservative nations. I am cool with that. Lucky you to be living where you are. I am planing to buy a small flat, hopefully I will be able to afford Florence and not end up in a village somewhere far from the city.
Thanks,
Zac

I live in Florence and the girl that works at the restaurant across from me has beautiful tattoos over her entire arms!  I have not seen one person snub their nose at this person!  She was hired!  I think it depends on who you meet and what kind of people you hang out with.  I have found that most people in Florence are very acceptable of individuality.  No worries.