Is it worth to produce homemade cheese in HCMC?

Hello everyone!

After I moved to HCMC I realized that I cannot live without cottage cheese, so I started to make it for myself. I've been doing it for last 3 months. After some time I began to think whether it worth to run small business of manufacturing sour cream, cottage cheese and whey. These foods are not common to locals, so I'm just wondering if I ever should start doing it.

Could you please share a piece of advice or opinion?

Hi!
Homemade cheese store: that is a very good idea. if your products have good quality with low price, i am sure you can get high success.

Personly I love cheese and want to store it at home. But the price is rather high because be imported from oversea. I have also though about finding homemade cheese or vietnamese cheese that can provide to market with low price.

Hope you keep thinking about it and made your idea become true.

You get one customer already. Hi hi.

Huyen Bich wrote:

Hi!
Homemade cheese store: that is a very good idea. if your products have good quality with low price, i am sure you can get high success.

Personly I love cheese and want to store it at home. But the price is rather high because be imported from oversea. I have also though about finding homemade cheese or vietnamese cheese that can provide to market with low price.

Hope you keep thinking about it and made your idea become true.

You get one customer already. Hi hi.

If you can make Cheddar, or blue cheese, I'm in!

Let's try !

Vietnamese people, especially the Rich in HCMc, like foreign products so much.  :one

If, whilst you are getting organised for your cheese operation, you really get the urge to eat cheese, why not just visit Metro Wholesale where you will find all manner of cheeses - many of which are not polluted with modern chemicals.

Pricing is very competitive, too!

The Chinese dislike cheese, but some Vietnamese do enjoy cheeses.

P.S. Metro carries some great New Zealand cheddar cheese.

I love cheese but most Viet's either don't like it or can only eat it in very small quantities. You might be able to make a go of it but I'd suspect you'll need some time to build a clientele. On the plus side, I would think your clientele would be a loyal one, so you have something to build on. You could also see about selling to some restaurants.

Thanks everyone for inspiration! :) Let's see what I can do with it

@eodmatt: Cheddar cheese is difficult to make, unless you have "family recipe" that is proven by time and several generations. I can experiment with it, but it's just time consuming, and I don't want anyone to try it unless I'm sure it's perfect :)

elgris wrote:

Thanks everyone for inspiration! :) Let's see what I can do with it

@eodmatt: Cheddar cheese is difficult to make, unless you have "family recipe" that is proven by time and several generations. I can experiment with it, but it's just time consuming, and I don't want anyone to try it unless I'm sure it's perfect :)

Google is your friend: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/how-to … ese-recipe

And my comment: "Blessed are the cheesemakers!"

elgris wrote:

... After some time I began to think whether it worth to run small business of manufacturing sour cream, cottage cheese and whey...

Before you spend too much money on setting up for resale ... better check with TP HCM Health Department!

Jaitch wrote:

If, whilst you are getting organised for your cheese operation, you really get the urge to eat cheese, why not just visit Metro Wholesale where you will find all manner of cheeses - many of which are not polluted with modern chemicals.

Pricing is very competitive, too!

The Chinese dislike cheese, but some Vietnamese do enjoy cheeses.

P.S. Metro carries some great New Zealand cheddar cheese.

To be honest it isn't real Cheddar cheese, it is processed Cheddar cheese and you have to buy a mountain of it as Metro is a cash and carry. so I don't buy it.

If you want to succeed at selling anything, you have go make a product that people want to buy, at a price that they will want to buy it at.

Many restaurants have bought Cheddar cheese from Metro and tried to sell it on their cheese boards. It wasn't popular and so they failed to make a profit. Many of them have discontinued the sale of it.

Recently I saw packaged Cheddar cheese on sale in an ex pat supermarket in D2, with the words Mild and Strong on the label. A contradiction in terms. I tried a bit. It was repackaged, processed NZ Cheddar and a pale ghost of the real thing.

You need to have the strength of your convictions and get into making something that will sell well, not just hope that you will make something easy and people will beat a path to your door for it.

eodmatt wrote:

To be honest it isn't real Cheddar cheese, it is processed Cheddar cheese and you have to buy a mountain of it as Metro is a cash and carry. so I don't buy it.

METRO is a WHOLESALER, who allows the public in, so you get wholesale packaging. They also sell on credit to approved customers.

The difference between 'processed' and 'natural' cheese is the addition of about 50% edible 'plastic', an 'emulsifier'. Many commercial cheese spreads are in the form of cheese slices or cheese spread triangles or squares. Kraft is a heavy used of emulsifiers.

But METRO has natural cheeses - cheese rind is found on them -  it is the outer layer of the cheese - the rind typically begins to develop into a harder exterior crust that helps to hold in the moisture and flavour of the remainder of the cheese.

Processed cheese doesn't have rind.

If you want to succeed at selling anything, you have go make a product that people want to buy, at a price that they will want to buy it at.

A somewhat fallacious comment, first you need to know about the product and it's variations, and then you buy it from an appropriate source - retail for smaller packages and wholesalers in larger packages at lower prices. It's the principle used in 'box' stores.

Jaitch wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

METRO is a WHOLESALER, who allows the public in, so you get wholesale packaging. They also sell on credit to approved customers.

The difference between 'processed' and 'natural' cheese is the addition of about 50% edible 'plastic', an 'emulsifier'. Many commercial cheese spreads are in the form of cheese slices or cheese spread triangles or squares. Kraft is a heavy used of emulsifiers.

But METRO has natural cheeses - cheese rind is found on them -  it is the outer layer of the cheese - the rind typically begins to develop into a harder exterior crust that helps to hold in the moisture and flavour of the remainder of the cheese.

Processed cheese doesn't have rind.

A somewhat fallacious comment, first you need to know about the product and it's variations, and then you buy it from an appropriate source - retail for smaller packages and wholesalers in larger packages at lower prices. It's the principle used in 'box' stores.

I see we have a cheese expert on hand, how useful.

Most of the Cheddar cheese sold in METRO is of the plastic processed variety. I haven't seen any Cheddar cheese in METRO with a rind on it, so if you see some buy it for me please.

Your comment that my axim about selling for success is fallacious, is in itself testiculate.

The fact is that if you try to sell things that no one wants, no one will buy them - it's a very simple business principle. The OP was trying to find out if there was any future in him making cheese to sell. His first post on the subject here could be described as early Market Research.

Irrespective of whether METRO is a Cash & Carry wholesaler or a recently acquired Russian submarine, Many people don't want to buy bulk 2.5 or 5 Kg lumps of cheese unless they own a restaurant and I for one don't want to buy plastic cheese - nor do I own a restaurant. So I would buy locally produced Cheddar cheese by the half kilo regularly, if it was decent Cheddar. Now, the OP might like find out if there are others like me and if so, how many, in order to judge if it is worth his while starting up cheese production.

Ultimately, if he had enough customers to make it worthwhile, he might grow his business to the point that he could even sell to Cash & Carry wholesalers like METRO.

METRO Cash & Carry Việt Nam - Trang Chủ
www.metro.com.vn/
Trung tâm bán sỉ (bán buôn) lớn nhất tại Việt Nam. ... Khách hàng Tạp Hóa. METRO có tất cả những gì bạn cần cho tiệm tạp hóa. Chi tiết · Mua nhiều lợi nhiều ...
‎Bản Tin Khuyến Mãi - ‎Tuyển Dụng - ‎Thẻ METRO - ‎Khách Hàng Cửa Hàng Tạp Hóa

elgris wrote:

Hello everyone!

After I moved to HCMC I realized that I cannot live without cottage cheese, so I started to make it for myself. I've been doing it for last 3 months. After some time I began to think whether it worth to run small business of manufacturing sour cream, cottage cheese and whey. These foods are not common to locals, so I'm just wondering if I ever should start doing it.

Could you please share a piece of advice or opinion?

I have found that I haven't been successful in making any enable food things. 3 months? wow.. Better to buy in Metro. By the way. Metro boss is going to change. I think we will have Thai cheese at cheaper price.

eodmatt wrote:

Most of the Cheddar cheese sold in METRO is of the plastic processed variety.

Pure speculation. They sell Swiss cheese, too, the one with holes in it. If this was 'processed' the holes would be absent and couldn't be described as Swiss.

I haven't seen any Cheddar cheese in METRO with a rind on it, so if you see some buy it for me please.

I have, a small area in Cheddar I bought a couple of months ago. Annoyed me as it weighed around an ounce or D194.

----
Part of the Vietnamese you posted said, in part: "Wholesale center (wholesale) in VietNam's largest. Customer ... Grocery. METRO has everything you need for a grocery store.

Which proves my point. If you want retail, don't shop at a box store.

----
OP
VietNam Order No. 06/2010/L-CTN of June 28, 2010 governs food in VietNam.

You can see a copy at [ http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN% … 2-2013.pdf ].

Jaitch wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Most of the Cheddar cheese sold in METRO is of the plastic processed variety.

Pure speculation. They sell Swiss cheese, too, the one with holes in it. If this was 'processed' the holes would be absent and couldn't be described as Swiss.

I haven't seen any Cheddar cheese in METRO with a rind on it, so if you see some buy it for me please.

I have, a small area in Cheddar I bought a couple of months ago. Annoyed me as it weighed around an ounce or D194.

----
Part of the Vietnamese you posted said, in part: "Wholesale center (wholesale) in VietNam's largest. Customer ... Grocery. METRO has everything you need for a grocery store.

Which proves my point. If you want retail, don't shop at a box store.
----
OP
VietNam Order No. 06/2010/L-CTN of June 28, 2010 governs food in VietNam.

You can see a copy at [ http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN% … 2-2013.pdf ].

I think that you are the kind of person who would cause an argument in an empty room. Part of the Vietnamese script I quoted (it's from METRO's own web site) says CASH & CARRY. So what? We are discussing the possibilities of someone making a success of making and selling their own cheese and in this connection I mentioned that if he made decent Cheddar I would buy it.

What that has to do with Swiss cheese with holes in it God (other deities are available) only knows.

Perhaps you need to have a cup of tea or a lie down or something.

At the risk of having you fulminating again, I will state this: I have yet to find a decent Cheddar cheese in METRO. Most of the Cheddar cheese sold in METRO is processed cheese and as you so rightly pointed it, it is plastic cheese. Furthermore it is my opinion that most of the cheeses sold in METRO are overpriced. So, if someone produces a decent Cheddar cheese and the price is reasonable for the quality, I will buy it.