Moving from US to Kusadasi...family is freaking out. Advice? Stories?

Hi everyone,

I'll start this by saying I'm 31 years old, but despite the fact that I'm educated, responsible, and have given them no reason to question my judgement, my family is still freaking out about the fact that I'm planning a move from Massachusetts to Turkey.  I know it's far, but I feel like there are so many misconceptions about what Turkey is really like.  Having grown up in an Italian Catholic family, you can imagine how thrilled they are with the fact that the country is Muslim, despite my efforts to convince them that it's so laid back there.  The issues all snowball from there...they assume women aren't treated well, that it's not a wealthy enough country, and on and on and on...

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to ease their minds?  Websites that you'd recommend they see?  Blogs?   

Otherwise, can anybody else commiserate?? :)  On that note, I'd definitely love to meet some Americans living in the Kusadasi area!  So, feel free to contact me!

Thanks!!!

Order them some Turkish food, that would solve all the problems:)
(Joking)

Well, Every country has good sides and bad sides. Even USA is the very greatest country, still is not perfect on all angles. Turkey is also not great in all the aspects.
But, if we talk about advantageous sides, there is good human relations, good cuisine, very nice culture, traditions that is nice to know. And also, cities are developed. Have many facilities. Probably crime rates are low here.
Climate is nicer than MA, also Kusadasi is in south, then more nicer.
Turkey is generally also more developed than people thought.

Best,

Hi,

You can contact me at

olpmem(at)yahoo(dot)com

and all your questions about Turkey and moving there will be answered promptly.(moderated: no free ads please)

Best wishes.

M. Pojon

Hello  Caroline ,

As a  turkish man  who has  lived as  expat  more than  3  years I would be  happy  to  help about your  questions.

Regards ,

Hello Caroline,

As a web site which i can suggest, you can try www.kusadasilovers.com I'm sure We'll be happy to answer your questions and I know you'll contribute lots of things via an expat's eye for other people too.Just try its forums