New expats in Dresden

Hello.  I am a new expat in Dresden.  My husband and I live in the Neustadt and are really enjoying it.  We are still trying to get settled in our home and have discovered that it is very difficult to drill into our walls.  Friends have let us borrow their super-powered drill but it just makes the walls crumble.  Any advice?

Thanks,
Soprannie

Welcome on Expat-blog Soprannie! :)
I have moved the thread on the Dresden forum.

Good luck
Christine

Hi Soprannie,

I've been living in Germany for 3 years, in Dresden for the past year, welcome!

What you need is a Dübel/Dowel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowel), which you can screw in to the wall to hold it together/hold your screw in. They are really handy, especially if you find yourself drilling and the wall falling apart or if you are hanging up something heavy. You can find them in any Baumarkt, you just need one for each type of screw, but it is worth it.

I have been quite lazy in networking since I moved to Dresden, so I need to get on that- let me know if you hear of anything going on in the area- I need to meet people outside of work :)

Cheers,
Aimeee2

Hi,

its always problem  with the old brick walls. You have to use a dowel for sure but its not easy to fix it especially in the area around the windows to hang on the blinds. 

If you drill into the wall and the debris becomes red there is a good chance to use only one dowel.

Or you can use dowel(6) in dowel(8) if you drilled the hole to big.(debris white) Or use toothpicks to stabilize a dowel in the wall.

Always clean the drilled hole with a vacuum.

There is something new you can buy in the "Baumarkt" its called "fast cement" or so. Its a 2 component glue in a transparent tube, smells badly bad helped me a lot. Sorry i cannot remember the exact name, you can find it somewhere in the "glue section" or near the cashier.

Hi,

I am also new to the forum. I have been living in Freiberg (about 45 km southwest of Dresden) since February 2010. I like Dresden very much and go there often.

Hello, I have been in Dresden for 4 months now. I really love it here. I moved here with my German boyfriend. I have made friends with his friends and am looking to make some English friends that will remind me of home a little bit. I'm also looking for a yoga studio in the altmarkt area. If any one is interested in yoga PLEASE HELP!! :D

Bree :D