Where to live in San José, how to find condo?

hi,
i will be moving to CR end of Aug for professional reasons for approx. 1 year (or longer, who knows ;-)
I have not prepared anything yet, my company is taking care of all the paperwork, but I need to start looking for an appartment on my own and would like to meet people when I have arrived.

So, to prepare myself, the most burning questions in my head are:

-which areas would you recommend for a single, 29yrs, female (not speaking Spanish yet ;-) I only heart about Santa Ana.
-do u know any good real estate agencies?
-my search criteria would be 1 bedroom, furnished, security, parking space in a nice garden environment. What about this AVALON place? Anybody knows it?
-what's the apprpox. rent for my listed criteria? Will I find anything below 800,- USD?
-I am afraid of not having social contact in the beginning, so anybody there volunteering for a weekend trip or a coffee ;-)))
- what about voltage and frequency for European products? We have 22V and 50Hz. Can I bring my digicam & laptop charger? What about DVD Player, hair dryer?

Any feedback from you guys as already being experts is more than welcome! I am already quite excited but also scared as it will be such a big change for me and I have never lived on my own in a foreign country!
kind regards,
Nina

Hi Nina -
Welcome!
Usually, the best way to find a place is to stay in a hostel / Bed and Breakfast *in* the area you want to live - then walk around, look for fliers at grocery stores, internet cafes, ICE (electric company) offices, etc.  Also, get a copy of La Nacion (Spanish language only tho), and try craig's list.  Give yourself about a week to find a place.  It will be a bit more challenging for you because you don't yet know where to focus your search.  Will you company help you with a Spanish translator?
I would start looking near where you will work.  Will you have a car? That may also affect where you live.  Certainly there are places to try, and places to avoid.  If you post the name of the town where you work, that will help us advise you.
I wouldn't rely on real estate agencies for help - you can try them, but it probably won't work the same way as in Vienna.
You should be able to find what you are looking for for under $800.  Santa Ana can be more expensive, as can Escazu.  But Belen is nearby, as is Alajuela.  Perhaps Ciudad Colon is ok as far as distance also.
re Social contact, I'd be glad to meet when you get here - PM me if you like :).  Also, check out couchsurfing.org; the Costa Rica group is pretty sociable.
re electricity - unfortunately, the electricity here is the same as in the USA, not the same as Europe.  If you have a converter kit that works for USA, then you will need it here also.  Keep in mind that there are frequent outages (usually very quick), and many outlets aren't grounded. So, sensitive electronics see a lot of wear and tear.  (we still use our computer, etc tho)
enjoy your adventure!
Julie

hi julie!
many thanks for your answer and your advices!!! i will stay in an apartment for the first 4 weeks in escazu (paid by the company :-) office is in uruca and i will get a company car. so i was looking for something like avalon country club where i have seen very nice & comfortable furnished apartments. of course they are unfortunately not cheap. maybe i will try through the internal network @ office - a local person negotiating with them might be more effective than me doing it via email ;-)

regarding voltage & devices i already found out that some of the european stuff will work (classified as 110 V and 60/50 Hz), others won't work. still US adapter is needed, but shouldn't be a problem.

as you're the expert: is there anything i should be worried regarding safety? as i will stay alone, I am a little bit worried about driving in the night (resp. it gets dark very soon i heard).

PS: thanks for the offer to meet f2f, it's good to know that i already know somebody there :-))))

Hello
My name is Giovanna Barrantes. I'm a Lic Attorney in San Jose Costa Rica for the last ten years. I live in Santa Ana which is a great place to live!
I will be more than glad to answer any questions that you may have concerning your move to Costa Rica.
I work with an American Realtor that can help you locate the perfect place to live.
Have a safe trip!
(moderated: no ads)

Hi There,

Even my case is similar to Nina, I am relocating to costa rica for work purpose and most likely to live there for more than a year.

I just want to know how is the rental system in San Jose? Do you have contracts and if yes then is it easy to break the contract if i dont like that property and decide to move to someother property?

Best Regards,
Kishore.

Hello
Yes we have a division within our law firm that can handle locating rentals in the San Jose area.
Most landlords will require one month deposit. If you brake the lease you would lose the deposit money.
Please let me know your price range. I can senD you a few properties.
Best Wishes
Lic Giovanna Barrantes

Hi Giovanna,

I looking for a fully furnished unit anything less than $1000 would be good.
I prefer locations somewhere close to the city in a decent and secure community.

Cheers,
Kishore.

Hello
When are you planning to make your move to Costa Rica?
Please be free to contact me anytime.

Best Wishes

Hello,
If you're looking for accomodation why not check out the accomodation section in Costa Rica's Classifieds?
Hope this helps
Arlette

Hello
As I mentioned in my last message. Our Law Firm has a real estate divison.
I have the perfect condo for you in Sabana. The owner would consider $1000 fully fur. Great location/Very secure area.
Please foward your email to me. I will send you pictures
[email protected]
Thanks
Lic Giovanna Barrantes

Hello my name is Gio, I,Costa Rican but years ago I was visiting Pakistan, I live in San Jose, I can help you

Hi GIO PAKIS,

Please note that the discussion here is dated 2010 :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team