Moving to Hanoi soon

Hello,
I will be coming to Hanoi the first of August and am starting to get serious about researching Hanoi, and Vietnam in general. I will be teaching at an International School there, so it would be good to connect with other teachers, especially at the Elementary level. I've been a teacher for 10 years in the States, and have talked about teaching abroad for a long time. I'm 41, kids are grown, wife has "gone in another direction in life", and debts are minimal (except for that pesky student loan), so it's GO TIME! Now that it is actually going to happen, I'm excited, but not all that worried about the major life change that is going to happen.

I want what most people who come to Southeast Asia want: to see all the fantastic sights, eat the delicious food, absorb the local culture, meet new people, save some money, and add an entirely new dimension to my career. I assume that this venture will work out, and that I will make teaching in Asia a lifestyle. I should also mention that I do not have an English teaching certification but plan on starting that as soon as I get my feet under me.

The school that I will be working for has promised some terrific assistance: they will greet me at the airport; provide two weeks in a hotel, a Realtor to show me some places to live, buddy teachers, and literature on adapting to Vietnam. Therefore I am less concerned about getting oriented than I am isolating myself socially, but I figure not even that will be much of an issue.

I'll be settling in the Tay Ho district since it is the closest to work. If you live there currently, I would love to hear your opinion of that area and some of the things to do, places to shop, and resources available.

Shawn, I believe you'll like Hanoi and the West Lake section of town. It is a bit more sedate than Saigon. Good Luck and congratulations on the International School gig. The imp in me demands I point out that Vietnam is NOT in Central Asia, but I assume you're not teaching geography.

Hi, are you coming from Portland, OR? I used to study in Willamette Uni in Salem, OR. West Lake is a great place for an expat wanting to settle for long time

welcome to Tay Ho district, I'm working there as real estate agent. If you need help about housing, I can help you.

Hi Lepham,
A fellow Oregonian. Nice! Bend is my actual hometown, but I lived in Portland for about 12 years and love that town. I also lived in Salem for about a year. So we have that in common. So, you are in Hanoi now, right? I'll have some time before starting work on the 11th if you'd like to get coffee and chat.
Shawn

Hi Anhhan,
Thank you for the offer. I'll touch base with you if I need help finding a place. The company I work for uses a Realtor who is going to show me some places in Tay Ho/West Lake on around the 3rd of August. If we strike out I'll let you know.
Shawn

Thank you Shawn. Glad to hear from you. :)