A visit to tunis, tunisia

hello everyone. I have plans of going to tunis on august and i would like to ask of the following:
1. what can be the mode of transportation around the city? how much does it costs, or are there metered taxis?
2. do i need to reserve for my hotel, since ive heard that the place is full of tourists during august?
3. are there houses for rent for just a week? how much do they cost?
4. do they change Libyan dinar to their currency? or do i need to bring dollars?

thanks

Hello Viva 10,

I will try to answer your questions here:

1. what can be the mode of transportation around the city? how much does it costs, or are there metered taxis?
+ Inside the city, just taxis, outside them collective taxis or train. Not really expensive, but with taxis, you have to be careful and ask about fares before using their service.

2. do i need to reserve for my hotel, since ive heard that the place is full of tourists during august?
+ Yes, it is better to book a hotel, but since you are going with your kids, it is better for you to hire a flat, there are many available.

+ It depends a lot on the city, the house, etc.

4. do they change Libyan dinar to their currency? or do i need to bring dollars?
+ I think libyan dinar is a currency, but to avoid surprises, bring dollars or euros.

I hope this could help.
Regards,
Gaudi

hey viva 10. as far as the taxis go make sure they hit the '1' button before 9pm, the '2' button between 9pm and 12 am and the '3' button after midnight. it is very easy to exchange money in tunis, jsut make sure you double count it before leaving. and the advice guadi gave you about asking the taxi fair first....great advice but you have to make sure to do that before buying anything...unlike the weather here prices change ona day to day basis...good luck and have a nice safe trip

thanx for the info, gaudi...
josh --- i just wonder abut those buttons..why are there buttons at different hours :D ...or is it just a joke that i did not catch:lol:

no it is not a joke cause in moring they use a normal rate and in night they change it for beging one and halh rate and u are a tourist so they can catch you so be carful !! take care hope u enjoy ur trip here by the way it is soooooooo hot here and hope u don t come after 11 agust cause it is ramadon !!

ahhhhh....why? during ramadan, are the shops, bars, discos close? thats the only thing i want..to enjoy a life out of libya

I think taxi's are very safe, reasonable and cheap way to get around.

Tunis is very busy in August... you can find furnished rooms in the local paper LA PRESSE

Not sure.

Exchange houses are everywhere, try the airport on arrival, I used this service before.  You will love Tunis, extremely safe country.