Why are there any towels in washroom?

One thing I hate after washing my hands in VN is there are no clean towels in washroom. Very few places have blowers or have one common dirty cloth towel use by everyone, other than that zilt for drying. Ends up flinging my hands in the air or wiping my pants

Saves on garbage and the trouble of installing a paper towel dispenser I guess.

Don't forget to bring your towel next time  :)

charmavietnam wrote:

And bring your own toilet paper.    Ive gotten used to the butt spray but i need paper to dry my butt!

You cannot believe hotel towels here. They may spread even herpes virus  :)

OBB wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

And bring your own toilet paper.    Ive gotten used to the butt spray but i need paper to dry my butt!

butt spray and manual wipes is cleaner. Just don't forget to wash your hands with soap. But, then there is that pesky problem of drying afterwards

charmavietnam wrote:

You cannot believe hotel towels here. They may spread even herpes virus  :)

Contrary to popular speculation, herpes simplex cannot be transmitted by towels, cups or very many other things. Unless it is skin-to-skin or sexual contact, it is not possible to transmit the disease in other ways. It does seem likely that it would be possible via sharing cups because of saliva, although it is not. The herpes simplex virus is vulnerable on any surface other than skin and needs to have contact with skin to stay alive. Once it leaves the skin it dies instantly. Therefore, bathtubs, toilet seats and other surfaces cannot carry the disease but still can have other types of bacteria, but not related to herpes
http://www.hellolife.net/herpes/b/can-i … -anything/

"A towel, [the guide] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Vietnamese aren't real big on hand washing. Most believe if something looks clean, it is clean. Not a cut, that's just how it is.

jakejas wrote:

"A towel, [the guide] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You beat me to it.  Always carry a towel is quite possibly the most practical advice Douglas Adams ever spouted.

I've thought about this a lot over the years I've been here, and my speculation is cost and theft (and the cost associated with theft). Anytime there are paper products left in a public bathroom, you can bet they won't be there long. So the establishments don't want to spend the money to buy paper towels and toilet paper - especially if it will just be pilfered in no time. Most Vietnamese who need to use the toilet will discreetly carry some tissues in with them in their pockets, as do I, but I mainly just plan my regularity so as to avoid the use of public facilities at all costs. And I always have a roll of TP in my work backpack at all times, just in case.

good idea for business! air dryers in Nam

Bring your own set of towels...really!