Rentals in Jarabocoa

Hi- Does anyone know of a website and or/ realtor who has listings in La Vega (Jarabocoa) for long term rentals?

Thanks

I can't help you specifically on this. BUT I can tell you that most rentals are not on any website.   And in your price range they are not likely to be.   

What you need to do is when here on a trip,  go to the areas you think you want to live in - drive up and down the roads, or walk,  and note any places for rent.  Don't stop after you have one or two you will need more then that.  Have a local person call for info, then go see them.   Be really aware of what you want and why and make sure you are clear on:

electricity coverage -  ask several people and confirm with electrical company
Water supply - again ask several
Cell and internet -  find out which companies are in the area and have good service
Schools, church etc - whatever it is you identify as a need.
Cable tv - for some this is a big deal,  make sure you know your options.

go to the areas several times - what is very quiet on Wednesday afternoon may be a mad house on Saturday evening!!!!  Do not believe any one person and especially not the person trying to rent it to you.  Get everything in writing...... 

Normally you will sign a 1 year or 2 year lease.  they will want - likely -  2 month deposit -  1 month for renting agent if there is one - plus you may need a Dominican or company to "guarantee" the lease for you. It is called a fiador. And it is pretty normal in many areas.

HOpe this helps.

Thanks.  My hubby is there already in Santiago and a citizen so that is the easiest part, I guess.  I had checked on corotos.com and they have tons in Santiago but not Jaracoboa.  We are a bit limited on areas since we want an English school who is SAACS accredited for our daughter.  We have come to realize our dream budget is not reality now.  We had hoped to rent low so we could save to eventuly purchase and also save for a car since our car just misses thw import cutoff year.  I have found outting all these pieces together have become quite challenging.  The easiest paet was meeting you and knowing who we are meeting with for family health coverage this summer.  Thanks again.  I will heed your advice.

And by the way - import car year is in process of changing to 7 years!!!!  Might help you.

planner wrote:

And by the way - import car year is in process of changing to 7 years!!!!  Might help you.

Thanks.  I saw that on the DR1 newsletter I get daily.  If you can believe it, I miss the cutoff by one year.  My car is a 2006 Toyota 4Runner and in excellent condition, not even 100,000 miles yet.  I LOVE my car and I am so heartbroken I have to leave it behind and start all over again.  I think imposing a ban for cars over 7 years is crazy if they are in good condition.  You should have to get some sort of certification and be able to get it approved for cars over that limit so you can bring them.

Thanks again for the update.  I arrive on July 2nd so I will likely reach out to you the following week to schedule a time to meet and do the insurance.

I think it is all about protecting the car industry here but I am not positive!   If road worthiness was a criteria then 70% of the cars on the road here would be outlawed..........

Yes they are protecting the "used car industry here"
When we relocated it was a 5 year limit and I had a 6 year old Jeep Wrangler with 36,000 miles on it in Cherry condition that I had to sell before coming down. I did ship my 4 year old Avalanche and happy I did so.

Bob K

LOL!  Just a shame.  I was looking on corotos.com and cars and I could not believe the prices they were charging for some of those cars.  I told my husband we may be hoofing it for a long while.  Anyway, see you soon,  Getting super excited for our new adventure.

The adventure is right around the corner.

Plan on spending 35% more for a car here (NEW OR USED) than you would in the US

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

The adventure is right around the corner.

Plan on spending 35% more for a car here (NEW OR USED) than you would in the US

Bob K

Yes, yes it is.  Oh the joys of relocating.  I think I am sticking to a bicycle then Bob, lol!

make sure you wear a helmet.

Bob K

good luck with everything!!! Keep us posted.

Thanks.  I will definitely keep in contact.  Only 50 more days.  Let the countdown begin...