Registration in Bulgaria

Hi everyone,
I recently arrived in Sofia and am wondering if anyone can properly explain to me the registration process, or if it is needed at all.
I am an EU citizen with a valid Portuguese ID card and Passport and moved here as my fiancee and I plan to marry near the end of the year.  I do not yet have employment however, I am fairly close in solidifying that in the next few weeks or so.
I am being told that I need to register first with the local authorities in Sofia and then with the Migration Directorate.  Is this all necessary or does the fact of holding a valid EU citizenship exclude this from being necessary.
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

I can only speak from personal experience. My husband was born in Bulgaria but lost his citizenship when he obtained a German passport some years ago. He moved back to Bulgaria and only used his German documents (driver's license and ID) for a couple of years before he registered with the authorities. If you plan to stay, I would suggest you obtain a Bulgarian ID card for permanently residing foreigners, it would make your life much easier. I believe all you need is to have an address (either rent or own). If you rent you would need a declaration from the owner that you are renting and a copy of the deed of the property. Then you go to the central office on 46 Maria Luiza Blvd in Sofia. I hope I didn't miss anything. May be it'll be a good idea if your fiancee calls them in advance to ask for all required documents  so you get all work done with one trip. Hope I was helpful and good luck.

[Moderated: inappropriate comment]

You must register within 90 days of arrival. The Migration Directorate is effectively part of the police force and usually housed in the regional HQ.

The process is simple and requires only your passport, proof of your address and proof of medical insurance. Your proof of address could be the deeds to a house, a rental agreement (which in Bulgaria needs to be stamped by a notary or written proof that you have accommodation arranged. The last requires only a letter (in Bulgarian) from your landlord. Proof of Medical insurance is provided by the European Medical card. You need to collect a form and take it away to complete it. That way you have the time to read it and understand the complex instructions which are partly in Bulgarian and partly in English.

As a EU citizen you have a right to be registered and obtain a long stay card. You do not need the photocard which costs 32 BGN as the ordinary card, which should be issued the day you apply is adequate for all official purposes. The cost of that card id 7 BGN and when you pay the fee to the bank (there will be a branch on the premises) they charge you a further 3 BGN for the privilege of paying them.