FREE phone calls back to the states

Hey all.......I just moved to England from the US and i picked something up before I left to make cheap phone calls. This isnt spam by the way. I picked up this thing called Magicjack. I bought it thru bestbuy but you can get it online also.  Basically you plug it into your pc and you can talk thru the internet for free anywhere in the world, and the best part is you keep an american phone number. it costs 29.99 the first yr then 19.99 each yr to renew your number. So you can have a US phone number in Europe and talk to all your family and friends back home for free. I think its 3 cents per min to call uk and a ton of other countries. Makes it a bit easier to keep in touch with everyone.  Anyways i hope this helps everyone. Any questions just ask!

Is it better than Skype ?

I dont know if its necessarily better, but I havent had any problems using it for a year. I can take my phone and plug it into my laptop and as long as i have an internet connection it works great. you get voicemail, call waiting, caller id, etc, so it is pretty good

Thanks for sharing information on Magicjack.

Good idea. Never would have thought of that. Currently living int he states and trying to move to UK. Lived in italy for 4 months last year during college and had a UK SIM card and the $1.25 per minute really added up

Thank you for this post. I've heard about MagicJack on the news, and in commercials. They also sell it at Walgreens - Well they did a few months ago anyway.

you wiill try voipcheap for cheap calls.I think  its deffinitly help u....

I've heard good things about MagicJack.

You should check out mo-dial.com, which offers cheap calls from the UKto any country and their rates seems pretty reasonable.

I use a service called Foocall.com - 0.9p per minute to the US I think, and there's no subscription fee.  If you've got an iPhone they've also got an app (but I use the webphone option).  In a year of use, I've never had a problem with call quality calling the States.

Then there's the other obvious subscription options like Skype etc.

if you're calling the US, gmail's new calling feature is currently free. The quality is as good as Skype to phone but costs nothing. I think it's probably a promo deal for the time being but it's worth checking if you've got a gmail account already.

another option would be voipding.com, has also a high quality

[Moderated: No free ad pls]