What should I see in Australia? (and other questions)

Let's say I am coming to Australia for a couple of weeks... (it's been a dream for a long time). What should I absolutely see? Australian friends of mine in London told me I absolutely need to see the reef ;)

Other friends told me I should stay one entire month, rent a van and discover the whole country because it's really worth! How much money should I save to do that? Is Australia expensive?

Could you advise me?

Thanks

Julien

salut julien,

Je ne suis pas une experte et je ne suis jamais aller en Australie, enfin...Pas encore...mais pour découvrir l'Australie "sauvage" il te faudra louer un 4X4 sur place, choisir un itinéraire précis bien sûr et avoir le permis international. Alors comme ça, tu veux aller en Australie ??? Ton voyage est prévu pour quand ? Je vais y aller pour un an, à partir de Janvier, j'ai d'ailleurs laissé un message sur le WHV dans la rubrique "expatriés français"...ha oui, j'oubliais tu dois surement le savoir mais économiquement parlant, l'Australie est à peu près au niveau de l'Europe, les prix des locations de véhicules doivent être à priori les mêmes, les assurances restent très chères apparemment....

Voilà, j'espère que t'ai un peu avancé, bon séjour  :cool:   et tu nous raconteras ça???hein???

Quelques adresses utiles et vraiment intéressantes:

www.australie-australie.comwww.routard.com

Did you go to Australia Julien?  Australia has so much to see and is so big that a month is better than a week.  If you're renting a van that could work out expensive.  Some people find buying a second hand van/car is cheaper.  Petrol is pretty expensive now too.  That said, staying in caravan parks or just off the road can be cheap.  Food can be cheap.

Things to see depend on your interests.  Cities to see: Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide.  Great wineries in NSW, SA and WA.  Natural scenery: Uluru, Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu National Park, every state has fantastic national parks, just drop into Tourist Information Centres and ask.

If you're pressed for time.  I'd recommend travel down the east coast between Cairns and Sydney (could be done in a week to two weeks).

No but the company I am working for have now an office in Brisbane, I've got contacts in Byron Bay too ... but at the moment I didn't get the chance to be "sent" to Australia. I'd rather take a full month of holiday and visit the country myself!

(actually I would need several months -maybe a year- to see all what I want to see ... Australia, NZ, Japan ...)