Langkawi and Penang

Hello! Im going to Langkawi and Penang in three weeks with three of my friends (they are also chinese from Sweden, just like me). We will stay there two days on each city. Any recommendations on what we can do there? Any good beach, restaurant, club or shopping?

Thanks in advance.

I like the Hard Rock Hotel at Batu Ferringhi Beach, but I also like to hangout at Georgetown which is nice for wandering around, eating etc.

I suggest you concentrate of sightseeing in Penang and the beach in Langkawi.

Walking around Georgetown, Penang is great, with lots of cultural sites and places to eat. You can also walk up Gurney Drive along the waterfront (don't expect too much now) where there are two Malls and other eating and shopping choices. In fact if your budget allows, you could stay at one of the hotels on Gurney Drive - Evergreen, G-Inn etc.  Otherwise, Georgetown has masses of hotels in all budgets.

On Langkawi, head for Cenang Beach or the west side of the island. It has beachside hotels and facilities. There is not much sightseeing worth doing, as even the highest suspended bridge in the world has been closed for the past 2 years.

hmm.. too many things happening in penang.. but you can go around Straits quay, georgetown and the national forest in penang!

just moved here from KL, nice place to visit!

Langkawi info; Cenang is good for a popular beach spot and people watching, however if you really want good beaches...The Andaman, Luxury Collection, Four Seasons. Those 2 properties has really clean and maintained beaches. Nightlife, Sunbar(10mins walk from Cenang. Good mix of tourists and locals.Live Band and DJ, Fridays seems more popular), Eagle Rock(too smoky and plenty of local malays:more rowdy crowd). As for touristy stuff to do, go do a boat tour/eagle feeding,etc..

Langlawi ten years was nice. Now it is rather spoilt in parts without the advantages of development like decent nightlife. The island is still worth a look round - hire a car as cheap - and some beaches are nice. Thailand far nicer overall though.

Penang has some nightlife. Expensive though and nothing special. Beaches poor. The city and some surrounding sites worth a few days visit. Georgetown itself is quite nice with some interesting food.

2 days each would be about right. And yes Malayisa sucks at tourism as "Visit 2014" campaign ignores the fact that the main langkawi attraction has been closed two years!

The best bit of Malaysia is the rainforests so consider those as well for future visits.

so the Skybridge is closed? Why isn't it mentioned in the Tourism page? What about the Cable Car? is it still operating?

The cable car operates, but if the winds get too strong, it is also closed down.

Beaches are far better in parts of the Philippines than in Malaysia. The best ones are on the Islands off the east coast and also in Sabah.