The other side of the Austrian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Austria, how would you describe the two sides of your Austrian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Side One. The most beautiful country where you can live a simpler life. Walking in the hills in the summer and playing in the snow in the winter is un-matchable. The cost of living is less than the UK, especially the equivalent of the Council tax. People are friendly and there is always a strong sense of community - we live in a small village away from the ski resorts. The health care system here is second to none, and as EU members, thankfully we can claim dole money.

Side Two
The biggest problem is finding work where we are in a rural community. I have had ten jobs in seven years. My husband has been out of work for over a year. Of course our age affects this (50s), but unless you want to work as a slave in the tourist industry it is difficult. We have looked at self employment but the Austrian love of bureaucracy makes it almost impossible.
Saying that, it would take the most monumental event to take us back to the UK!