New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here

Hi, all.  My name is Jeff, and I have recently begun researching becoming an expat in Costa Rica.  My wife and I visited for our honeymoon (Arenal, Monteverde, Pacific coast--Villa de caletas) a few years back, and we had a blast.  We have since had a son, who is 18 months old and are expecting our 2nd son in 8 weeks (yikes! ;) ).  We live in Miami, and the weather is nice (though we have become weather snobs who get miserable during the 2-3 arctic cold fronts per year), but I/we just can't take the stresses of American life for too much longer. 

I am a tropical fruit addict, and grow many types of fruit in our small backyard.  I appreciate the blessing of owning a home with land enough to grow fruit and veggies, and am quite grateful.  However, I want to have more room to roam, and like the challenge of living off the land.  Since I am a troical fruit lover, I also am interested in places where I can grow mangosteen, durian, and breadfruit (none of which grow well here in FL). 

We are an interracial couple ( I am caucasian, my wife is African American), and looking for the best fit for our family. Due to our desire for diversity, a laid-back attitude, less built up/more rural area, and close proximity to the water (enjoy sailing, snorkeling and fishing a lot!), I am currently interested in the Caribbean coast, somewhere between Manzanillo and Cahuita (Puerto Viejo area).  I am open to the Pacific Coast (somewhere near Dominical) also, provided I find more out about schooling options and if mangosteen and durian grow there.

I am ultimately looking to get some acreage in the forest, where I can slowly build a house, and cabins to rent out to offset cost of living/have a way to earn $ in CR in the future.  I estimate it may take 5-7 years to make it happen, as I need to save $ and get my young children established first (plus convince the wife it's a good idea).  Any info you can provide on setting up a business on your land, the caribbean coast in general, schooling, etc. would be of great help.

I am excited to "meet" other like-minded people who are already on the ground in CR, as well as to learn from their successes and mistakes.

Thanks, and pura vida!
~Jeff

Breadfruit (which we grew in the past) and Durian AKA guanabana/annona which we still grow and love, is more common than Mangosteen which takes a very long time to start producing, although I have seen it growing in a few areas. It isn't a 'popular' fruit here, while the Guanabana is very popular.
In regards to education, most expats chose private schools and at the the beaches there is less choice.
Suggest you read the legalities for living here. and know that the cost for mandatory healthcare a young family,  with the principal applicant  as a  'Rentista' being under 55, is approx $480 per month.

Thank you, Kohlerias.  If we don't have 60K to invest (looking to live off the land and rent out guesthouse to provide some income), what are the options?  Is it legal to own property/hospitality business as a tourist, and just cross the border to Panama every 90 days.  In time residency is probably a good thing, but until things are up and running, 60K in investment is out of the question.

Actually you would be required to deposit a second $60K two years later...then after the start of you 4th year, you can apply for permanent residency whereby you can then legally 'work'.
It is legal to own property but getting into business is a lot trickier without legal residency as you may have problems getting business/health permits and you cannot legally and physically 'work' as a tourist. Costa Rica could deny you entrance at any time, and they do not automatically give you 90 days visa. More often they are giving only 10,  20  or 30 days ...
Panama is not making it easy to renew visas anymore and now you can expect them to ask you to provide an airline ticket out of Panama and want to see $500 cash per family member.

Tourism is down here, with exception on the Pacific coast at the bigger, all inconclusive resorts.

You could have another child, born here and this would gain you Permanent residency without a large monetary output...but raising a family here, is not cheap.

Introducing myself. I'm a widow of 1 1/2 years & in need of a new direction.  I've looked at Costa Rica over the years & thought what if? So if I could I would live to pick your brains. Is there a solid Christian community there? Easy to find bible studies? What are the taxes like? Does US send your social security there? What banks are there ? Are they regulated like in the US?

85% Catholic here, but there are Christian churches.

Very few English language churches, and usually, only found in the highly populated expat areas.

We have a Christian church in Jaco.

We moved to the Central Valley of Costa Rica in October of 2014!  We are loving it here and expecting our third child.  We moved from Denver, CO.

We finance our lives here via selling our home in the States and doing little micro businesses.  We figured that we could live the adventure now or wait until retirement and "now" won every time.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=437603

Thanks!

Closed