Children fitting in at state schools

Yes I think it's st clares x

mantonas wrote:
stef88 wrote:

Hi, wondering if anyone could PM me Mrs Whites email address ( the lady who gets foreign children into state schools ) if anyone has it?
Thanks!

Hi Stef,

I do have Mrs Josette White email address if you're still interested. I have already met her and spoke to her for few times, and she's a very nice and friendly lady.

Cheerio,
Antonio

Hi Antonio,
could you give me ms whites email i am trying to get through to speak with someone at the department of education but keep being put on hold and then the phone hangs up.
i will be arriving in Malta in September on a 12 month work contract and need to know if this will be sufficient to enroll the children in school or will i need to be resident
many thanks
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

if you are in Malta for more than 3 months you have to register as  resident . As a tourist you can stay for up to three months but cannot work in Malta. Why would you not want to register as resident if you are resident? It doesn't take long and is free of charge.

Cheers
Ricky

was only enquiring as coming in on a 12 month work placement, so didnt know if i have to be resident, just trying to get everything clear in my head as i need to give up my spanish residency i think to do the Malta one
just want to try and get as much sorted out as i can before hand as getting from andalucia to malta with 3 kids and belongings is proving a logistical nightmare....would like everything else to run a bit smoother!!!!

Hi there,
Did you try this number?

Hi antonio, could you please send me mrs whites email address too as really want to contact her about choosing a state school for my daughters.  Very confused with the whole process.  Thanks,  Amanda

MandB wrote:

Hi antonio, could you please send me mrs whites email address too as really want to contact her about choosing a state school for my daughters.  Very confused with the whole process.  Thanks,  Amanda

Hi, you can't 'choose' a state school. Children go to the school according to where you live.

Hi, yes I know but we want to have a look at the state schools and areas first then decide.  Also do u know if they always have space for new students and do they have to start in September?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, no they don't need to start in September. There are no league tables here and from what I gather, it's not the 'norm' to look around schools....They are not fighting for your approval, you either go there or not. If it's your catchment, there will be space for you. Also, schools are closed until September.
You will be shocked at the state of the schools, they look run down but are up to date with equipment.
Read the threads on here to make a decision...If it comes down to wanting a more English speaking school, then all the info is on here.

We now have a place to live in Madliena that we will move into at the end of August, am i right in thinking school starts back around 24th september?

Izzybenjaz wrote:

We now have a place to live in Madliena that we will move into at the end of August, am i right in thinking school starts back around 24th september?

Yes, depending on what age. eg. Year 1's (5 year olds) will go a week later and Kinder will be a few days/week after that.

Does anyone know which secondary school is in the catchment area of Madliena, I know it's st clares but there are a couple of secondary schools my son will be in his final year of secondary education

I think it's St. Clare in Pembroke.

From what I can find on the internet there are 2 boys secondary schools in st Clare's, Gzira and Sliema not sure which is closest to madliena

Hi guys, bumping this thread if possible. Situation is as follows, we are moving to Malta very suddenly in 2 weeks with my wife and two kids aged 3 and 6. We both speak English on a very high (close to native) level but our kids don't. I doubt our younger kid would have any problems at all as he can quickly pick things up in kindergarten, however I am a bit worried about the 6yo. What are the Maltese regulations, can he skip one year and go to kindergarten to learn English or does he have to go to school directly? Note, he has never been to school yet.
Appreciate any help!

They will be tested anyway before the school year started. And then teachers will choose the grade for them, don't worry.

Most probably 6 y.o. will go to the year 1, not to the kindergarden

i came with my 6 yo son last year and he knew very little english
he was supposed to go to year 2 but I asked the principle to put him in y1 to start from beginning with english and he approved
also, from last year there is a special program for children who speak very little or no english at all - they first go each day for 4 hours to school where they learn just english, minibus picks them up and drops them back in front school in your town

Duxx wrote:

i came with my 6 yo son last year and he knew very little english
he was supposed to go to year 2 but I asked the principle to put him in y1 to start from beginning with english and he approved
also, from last year there is a special program for children who speak very little or no english at all - they first go each day for 4 hours to school where they learn just english, minibus picks them up and drops them back in front school in your town

Thank you, that helps a lot! We are thinking about the school in Sliema http://scc.sliema.skola.edu.mt/our-school/
Only a bit worried about the minibus thing, must be weird for a 6yo to tell him that he will be away for 4 hours not speaking the language at all :)

it is the same college that my son goes to, our school is in Gzira
the thing with minibus was that they were collecting kids in front of all their schools and taking them to Pembroke (central school) and teach them basic english there
my son considered it an adventure, everyday going away and seeing different towns, meeting new friends... :)

maybe something has changed in meantime, call them when you have a chance

for my son - he knew to say his name, how old is he and how to ask to go to toillet :)
plus the stuff he picked up over years from watching cartoon
we bought him an english picture dictionary, so he could show teacher if he needed something or wanted something but knew how to say only in native language

Hi there
We are moving to Malta in december. Can you please tell me who should I contact about choosing a state school for my daughters and my son. They are 15y.o.

Cat_Lady wrote:

Hi there
We are moving to Malta in december. Can you please tell me who should I contact about choosing a state school for my daughters and my son. They are 15y.o.

Do you know where you are moving to?  This subject has been covered many times so please use the search button and you should find the information you require.

@Lori73  Hello Lori. My name is Katia and greetings from the Caribbean.  We are moving to Malta in summer 2023, ie end of June of this year.  Albeit dating to 2014, what was your final experience sending your three children to public (ie state, secular) school?  Which catchment area did you fall into?  Thank you for sharing any insight.  Kindly Katia CC

@Lori73 Hello Lori. My name is Katia and greetings from the Caribbean. We are moving to Malta in summer 2023, ie end of June of this year. Albeit dating to 2014, what was your final experience sending your three children to public (ie state, secular) school? Which catchment area did you fall into? Thank you for sharing any insight. Kindly Katia CC
-@katscc

Welcome to the Forum, you are unlikely to receive a reply as the person does not comment on here now.

@Lori73 Hello Lori. My name is Katia and greetings from the Caribbean. We are moving to Malta in summer 2023, ie end of June of this year. Albeit dating to 2014, what was your final experience sending your three children to public (ie state, secular) school? Which catchment area did you fall into? Thank you for sharing any insight. Kindly Katia CC
-@katscc

Instead of writing to Lori, who is not active on this site you should either publish your own question or read what other people wrote about schools in Malta. Most schools over here are catholic and Maltese is a compulsery language.

@hanselmar5  Thank you and duly noted.