The locals, how are they?

hey no worries, it is NO BIG deal, no ecuadorians feelings have been harmed hahaha. Let's see the positive part of the situation, we are here to help

danygirl8903 wrote:

hey no worries, it is NO BIG deal, no ecuadorians feelings have been harmed hahaha. Let's see the positive part of the situation, we are here to help

I wasn't asking specifically if locals are intelligent. I was giving examples of things that people might say when describing locals. I think this guy should leave his opinions off this post at this point, to be honest.

Nice trolling, timo...

timo31750 wrote:

Intelligent?Creative?
You're kidding right? Asking a question along the lines of a questionable evolution process for any people is infuriating to these people who read these blogs and other readers like. You're question as posted only puts other gringos in harms way or makes thier own thought process regarding other nationalities suspect. [***]

It puts Gringos in harm's way? How so? Are you suggesting that Ecuadorans are violent towards foreigners? Perhaps Ecuadorans might find it offensive for you to insinuate that they use violence capriciously. Furthermore, unless you're Ecuadoran, then you have no standing to be outraged. Especially when the poster's question obviously conveys no malice.

Dobro K wrote:

I wasn't asking specifically if locals are intelligent. I was giving examples of things that people might say when describing locals. I think this guy should leave his opinions off this post at this point, to be honest.

I know exactly what you were asking. I found that the Ecuadorans tend to be fairly conservative while in public. Their language is very proper, and I didn't hear many swear words. However, I also found that if you hang out with them on a personal level, you'll see a different side. Their humor is very much like the US. The guys will curse up a storm and call their friends names and laugh and have a huge time like guys tend to do. They're very funny. They like to sing karaoke and laugh at each other trying to sing. And they'll goad each other into dares. I think they're pretty awesome.

So, just because they're very proper and polite on the street, don't for once think they're prudes or boring. They're just very gentlemanly and ladylike in public and will open open up later when you get to know them a bit. Just hang out and have a few beers, and if they like you, they'll bring you into their group pretty quickly. :)

BrandonBP wrote:
Dobro K wrote:

I know exactly what you were asking. I found that the Ecuadorans tend to be fairly conservative while in public. Their language is very proper, and I didn't hear many swear words. However, I also found that if you hang out with them on a personal level, you'll see a different side. Their humor is very much like the US. The guys will curse up a storm and call their friends names and laugh and have a huge time like guys tend to do. They're very funny. They like to sing karaoke and laugh at each other trying to sing. And they'll goad each other into dares. I think they're pretty awesome.

So, just because they're very proper and polite on the street, don't for once think they're prudes or boring. They're just very gentlemanly and ladylike in public and will open open up later when you get to know them a bit. Just hang out and have a few beers, and if they like you, they'll bring you into their group pretty quickly. :)

Excellent insight B, almost made me feel like a friend already! Sounds like I will be very comfortable socially, I am a big goof with an open sense of humor. What is your experience in Ec? Have you lived/visited there?
Also what types of jobs should I try to target with very little Spanish?

Dobro K wrote:

Excellent insight B, almost made me feel like a friend already! Sounds like I will be very comfortable socially, I am a big goof with an open sense of humor. What is your experience in Ec? Have you lived/visited there?
Also what types of jobs should I try to target with very little Spanish?

I spent three months in Ecuador this summer shopping for a new place to live. I also crossed the border into Colombia afterwards and stayed there for another three months. I imagined Ecuador to be a very awesome place, and I wasn't disappointed. I spent my entire trip grinning from ear to ear. I was extremely happy with the country and with the people. I'm back in the US now and can't stop thinking about getting back down there. As soon as I save enough cash, I'm coming back for good.

As far as jobs, my personal opinion is that one should try to open his own business or operate independently somehow. The wages for workers are so low that you might end up struggling and being miserable unless you're flexible enough to switch to a barebones lifestyle. A successful Scottish businessman in Medellin that had also lived in Ecuador for 16 years told me the same advice. He offered me a job in Colombia, but he also told me I'd be better off coming back with some cash to either partner with him in one of his ventures or operating my own business. He said that Gringos usually have a very hard time trying to live on South American wages, and I certainly see his point. If you get your English teaching certifications, you can make enough to get by from what I understand. I hung out with some English girls that worked in Quito teaching English and they seemed pretty happy. Actually they seemed really happy. I guess it's all about mindset. I personally don't need a lot. I've had the big house and Mercedes, blah blah, but I've discovered that, while money makes life easier, it doesn't make happiness.

Some travelers I talked to didn't much care for Ecuador. They thought it was boring. I have no idea how anyone can look at that beautiful scenery everyday and meet those great people and be bored, but everybody has different expectations as to what life ought to be. I was personally as happy as I've ever been. It's my personal wonderland. And I can't wait to live there. :)

Dobro K, hopefully you'll pick up the language  and be conversational quickly.  Depends on the person, and ability though.  I spent 3 years in Venezuela working with a local crew; none spoke English.  At the end of three years, they all learned to speak English, and I learned Tarzan Spanish.  Me hungry, me sleepy.  My wife on the other hand is in the bedroom now, glued to the tv watching novellas.  She does the talking and I'm the white guy that says Que?  all the time.  A little Spanish goes a long way though.  You may never be conversational in Spanish, but that shouldn't stop you from having a wonderful time.  People will appreciate your efforts in trying to speak their language and you'll find a way to communicate.   Some of us are really slooowww learners, so don't beat yourself up if it comes slow.