If they had an Academy Award for DUMB...

http://www.hojeemdia.com.br/polopoly_fs/1.209067.1389661284!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_315/image.jpgIf they gave out "Oscar" statues for stupidity, then this one would surely be in the running for at least three... Dumbest move of the year, dumbest timing of the year and the third for the Lamest excuse of the year.

22-year old Brazilian, Francisco Fernando Cruz, from Sorocaba - SP who has been living in the United States for the past two years was arrested on January 9th. for sending two separate e-mail bomb threats regarding a TAM Airlines Miami/Brasília flight. He sent one e-mail to Miami/Dade Police Department and the other directly to TAM Airlines. He is now in the custody of FBI in Miami and will be arraigned on January 24th on charges of transmitting a threat in interstate or foreign commerce. The threatened flight, by the way, was one on which Cruz himself had booked passage to return to Brazil. Oscar # 1, just plain stupid thing to do.

Oscar # 2 would be for the Lamest excuse... Cruz stated to police that he wanted to "test" the capacity of police to trace such messages and airport security. So now he's going to be able to spend a few years "testing" how well the United States justice system works as opposed to Brazil's where just about anything goes and nobody ever faces any significant punishment.

Oscar # 3 for Dumbest timing without any doubt whatsoever is because the motive of his trip back to Brazil was in order to apply at the US Embassy here for his permanent visa, one that he's certainly never going to get now.

Sometimes you really just have to wonder what goes on inside the heads of some people, don't you?

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

I am Brazilian also and found your reply to James completely inappropriate and offensive. I read from some of your posts that you had problems in Brazil that seems to have been really bad, but this does NOT give you the right to provide such bad comments about an entire population. That was a great sign of prejudice from your side. Shame on you!

I agree Brazil had lots of problems, as many countries in the world, violence being one of the biggest, what was one of the reasons I decided to live abroad with my family. But this, in no way, allow me to say that every Brazilian is violent.

If one generalize about an entire population just because he or she had problems in their country and decide their country is not good enough for them to live, the only place they will find to be perfect would be far from anybody. But then they will be there, making this place a bad option also ...

Luizrt,

I hope you understand that my comments were not about the entire Brazilian population in any way, shape or form. but rather this one particular individual. His actions were the stupidest I've ever seen for someone who is supposed to be a university student (regardless of his nationality).

It is unfortunate that he just happens to be a Brazilian. If that is a fact that upsets you, then I sympathize deeply with you. I'd be extremely offended if one of my countrymen went abroad and pulled off such a stupid stunt, embarrassing an entire nation in the process.

I'm sure there are some Canadians who actually do such idiotic things in other countries, however in my 12+ years here in Brazil I've seen my share of Brazilian troublemakers that have caught worldwide attention like this.

You should read some of the comments from your fellow Brasileiros on G1 about this kid and his dumb stunt. I can tell you that compared to some of them the reply by @usmc_mv wasn't all that offensive.

Luizrt wrote:

I am Brazilian also and found your reply to James completely inappropriate and offensive. I read from some of your posts that you had problems in Brazil that seems to have been really bad, but this does NOT give you the right to provide such bad comments about an entire population. That was a great sign of prejudice from your side. Shame on you!

I would rather not comment on this statement as you have no idea how much agony your country has caused me and several of my friends (a few Brazilian themselves.) I won't apologize for my words because I meant every single word. The very nature of your countries bureaucracy is offensive to me. However I should have kept my comments to myself instead of posting it in the public domain. And for that, I am sorry.

Hi James, Thanks for your kind and gentle reply!! Let me clarify, I was not complaining about your post! To be honest, I found it funny and completely agree that this guy deserves the top prize for the Oscar of dumbness!!! My complain was directed to another post from usmc_mv that was even removed for being inappropriate.
Thank you again and have a good day!

Luizrt wrote:

Hi James, Thanks for your kind and gentle reply!! Let me clarify, I was not complaining about your post! To be honest, I found it funny and completely agree that this guy deserves the top prize for the Oscar of dumbness!!! My complain was directed to another post from usmc_mv that was even removed for being inappropriate.
Thank you again and have a good day!

I am actually the one that removed it.

Thanks.

I can't believe the media coverage this youth is getting here in Brazil right now. He was convicted and sentenced to 1 year plus a day (a felony) in the USA and as such was rightfully transferred out of the Miami Pre-trial Detention Center which is for holding prisoners that have not yet had their day in court.

Once convicted and sentenced Francisco Fernando Cruz can no longer be housed in that facility and thus was transferred to a regular Detention Facility in Georgia. Well, the way that the media and everybody in Brazil is acting you'd think this kid was being sent to some concentration camp like Auschwitz for God's sake!!! I guess that the average Brazilian hasn't the slightest idea that compared to a Brazilian prison, those in the USA are like hotel suites at the Ritz Carlton. I really think that the US government should have agreed to send him back to serve his (FULL) sentence with no time off here in Brazil in the conditions that they have. It's really what he deserves instead of all this PITY PARTY that is going on in the Brazilian media.

Tadinho!!!

Hi
i do agree with
i do think the same about brazilians

James and USMC. Not a single comment you've made is demanding of apology. I have come to understand that Brasilians will reflexively defend one of their own no matter what they've done. This refusal to accept responsibility is just one of the reasons Brasil will remain a third world country. After 9/11 THE WORLD went on red alert. No one making these threats anywhere in the civilized world would be given a pass. This refusal to hold this idiot responsible for his actions in this day and age says more about Brasil's lack of lawfulness than the American justice system. Until Brasilians have cleaned up their own act, they have no place passing judgement on others. Finally my statement will stand against any "hurt feelings", so cry away.

Hi exnyer,

I couldn't agree more!

Just as an interesting side note, this clown returned to Brazil just over a week ago. He was received in Sorocaba like a returning hero.... go figure?

His return to Brazil made headlines everywhere and in the G1 - Globo online news he was quoted as saying, "I didn't know it was a crime." That's the most ridiculous remark I've heard in my entire life, even coming from a Brazilian. Surely he knows that calling the police, fire department or SAMU here in Brazil and making a false report is a crime. I have to wonder why he'd think it would be any different in the USA? I'm starting to think that the collective IQ of his entire family is somewhere around 75.

Cheers,
James

@James

I think you are rating the collective IQ far too high..... :lol: