Traveling by motorhome in the United States

I am planning to travel by motorhome in the United States next July - 2014.
My family have six persons, me, my wife, one son ( 9 ) and three daughters ( 12, 15 and 16 )
Some one can help me with the initials details? We  never travel by motorhome.

What specifically are you wanting to know about. If you google rv rentals you will find companies to rent through (I think one might be gorv.com, but not sure). Keep in mind gas is expensive and motor homes get very poor gas mileage.

Also where you want to go also needs to be mentioned that way people can give you better directions and help.

Yes, where are you traveling to.  I have spent a lot of time touring with a motorhome and it can be rewarding and frustrating at the same time.
Unless you plan on towing a vehicle behind remember once you get to a destination your transportation will be limited unless  you
1. break camp whenever you want go somewhere as you will need the RV for transport
2. have  tow vehicle with you
3 rent a car
4 use taxis and public transportation if available.

Bob K

US Gallon of gasoline on average is US$ 2.96, so since here in Brazil you're already used to paying the equivalent of US$ 1.58 or more per litre you're already paying around the same price or maybe even more than in the USA, so the price of gas isn't going to be the problem. The big deal is  how much gasoline a large motorhome is going to burn. That is going to be a considerable amount.

RV rental won't be much different than what you would be paying for hotel accommodations for your entire family so that's not going to break the bank either.

When I lived in Canada I routinely travelled in the USA towing a 24ft. travel trailer that was fully equipped and it was worth every penny of the expenses.

Sounds all-in-all like you'll have a wonderful vacation. Just remember to get full coverage insurance for the motorhome, if anything happens at least you're not going to be stuck with a huge bill for anything that the regular insurance doesn't cover.

Bob K. is absolutely right about the inconvenience of having to break camp everytime you want to do anything with a motorhome. You might want to check in advance for any campsites that offer shuttle bus service to local attractions or to the city center, some do. Another way to save time and effort is to leave the big jobs, like shopping for groceries for days when you're going to be on the road anyway. Take advantage of the travel time also to see some of the attractions you'd otherwise have to break camp to go see later.

Okay, just to add some more details.. There is a nationwide campground company in the United States and Canada that might be useful you. I gave up camping after the military so this is all I can suggest for campgrounds but I hear they are decent and they were even featured on CBS's Undercover Boss:

http://koa.com (Kampgrounds of America)

As far as gas prices - especially in the summer you can expect to pay top dollar depending on where you are traveling. There is a website that you can find the gas prices at gas stations in most US Cities updated regularly (hourly) by member volunteers. That website is:

http://www.gasbuddy.com (GasBuddy)

I-40, I-90/94, I-70, I-5, I-75, I-95, I-15, I-25 are excellent routes for your vacation.

My honest suggestion is to call AAA North America and have them plan your trip for you, especially if you have not been to the US before. The country is very large (just like Brazil, the only difference is we have interstates throughout the country).

http://www.aaa.com

Good Luck!

KOAs are some of the most barren and ugly places to camp in the US.

Also on top of the cost of the RV rental and gas you have the cost of the campgrounds.  This can run anywhere from free (parking lots of Wal-marts) to $15-$45 for organized campgrounds depending on where and what type of services you need (electric, water, gray water dump, black water dump) and so on.

Bob K

As I stated before - I do not camp, just suggesting and there are more places than KOA, a simple Google search could  reveal them. I highly doubt staying in a Walmart parking lot is something he wants to do. I do not think that is even legal, and further if you parked in my store parking lot (w/o permission) I would tow you no matter the cost or burden. Now wouldn't that be a nice "Welcome to America."

Also, I would imagine KOA is hit or miss. I have seen a few of them and only one of them was truly a "dump."

As I said Adauyo, contact AAA. They have an International service center that can help you plan your trip - probably for a small fee. They are experts in this kind of thing in terms of trip planning, campgrounds/hotels, etc. I am not an expert travel agent in the United States. You can literally tell them what you want to do and they can take it from there. I can only plan my trips outside the US without assistance - go figure.

EDIT - any once you get a suggested itinerary try to book everything yourself and you could potentially save money as travel agents generally make some sort of incentive. I proudly can say I do this myself when I plan an international trip, but more for suggested attractions and cities of interest.

Actually Wal-Mart has a national policy to allow RVs to park overnight in their lots.
Has been this way for years.
I know and have used it on occasion on cross country trips with the RV

Bob K

Great way to capitalize on campers needs during their trips. Make sense.

Yep I am sure most of the "campers" do some shopping at the store as well.  Great place to resupply

Bob K

Ok! I have a lot to do.
First of all we intend to begin in MIAMI, go to Orlando, New York and finish in Boston. It will be a travel for 24 days, and we are thinking about knowing different places at the road.
I am thinking about a good time for the childrens, to be in family with emotion but safety.
Here in Brazil we often camped and I think those are the best moments, even there are incovenients. The family have to join and do the best by itself.
LetŽs begin the plan...
Thanks at all

Good luck and have a great trip. You have planned a lot for 24 days.

Bob K

Happy new year for all

Happy new year and safe travels to you

Bob k

usmc_mv wrote:

As I stated before - I do not camp, just suggesting and there are more places than KOA, a simple Google search could  reveal them. I highly doubt staying in a Walmart parking lot is something he wants to do. I do not think that is even legal, and further if you parked in my store parking lot (w/o permission) I would tow you no matter the cost or burden. Now wouldn't that be a nice "Welcome to America."

Also, I would imagine KOA is hit or miss. I have seen a few of them and only one of them was truly a "dump."

As I said Adauyo, contact AAA. They have an International service center that can help you plan your trip - probably for a small fee. They are experts in this kind of thing in terms of trip planning, campgrounds/hotels, etc. I am not an expert travel agent in the United States. You can literally tell them what you want to do and they can take it from there. I can only plan my trips outside the US without assistance - go figure.

EDIT - any once you get a suggested itinerary try to book everything yourself and you could potentially save money as travel agents generally make some sort of incentive. I proudly can say I do this myself when I plan an international trip, but more for suggested attractions and cities of interest.

Excuse-me, but how can I find this AAA. Is that some kind of travel consultant?

Sorry!

It was an auto club originally but has become much more since it's creation.

usmc_mv wrote:

Sorry!

It was an auto club originally but has become much more since it's creation.

Thank you, I liked it and will help me a lot.

Bob K wrote:

Good luck and have a great trip. You have planned a lot for 24 days.

Bob K

Bob, I would like to discuss with you my itinerary. Could I send it to you?

Be sure to visit Washington, DC.  The Smithsonian museums are wonderful places for children.

Adauto feel free to PM me your plans

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Bob K

Bob, what does PM mean?

MiaCulpa wrote:

Be sure to visit Washington, DC.  The Smithsonian museums are wonderful places for children.

Great idea. Thank you for indication.

Adauto wrote:
Bob K wrote:

Bob K

Bob, what does PM mean?

PM = Private Message

;)

And when in Boston visit Fenway Park, home of the world champion Boston Red Sox.  Greatest ball park in North America.

I am begining my mothorhome Adventure in Miame. Any suggestion?

Adauto wrote:

Not the greatest place to park your camper or your other end. Consider Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm.

usmc_mv wrote:
Adauto wrote:

Not the greatest place to park your camper or your other end. Consider Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm.

I have no choice. The children want to begin from miami, I have to meet one place to stay there for a couple of days
Matt, I was thinking about visit the park everglades on the way to Orlando. What do you think?

There are many models of motorhome. Anyone could give-me a tip about what is The Best one to a Family with six person and to do a long travel?

Adauto wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:
Adauto wrote:

I have no choice. The children want to begin from miami, I have to meet one place to stay there for a couple of days
Matt, I was thinking about visit the park everglades on the way to Orlando. What do you think?

Yes, the Everglades is a must see, absolutely - it is amazing, just like the Amazon (w/o the bureaucracy ;))

Are you going to be towing a car? Because I just am having a hard time envisioning a motorhome/camper driving through the streets of Miami. You might be better off going to Fort Lauderdale and visiting Miami/South Beach via. alternate transportation. The drivers in MIA are aggressive, all of Florida really. But you will fit right in on the Interstates as that is all I see now a days, a long with lots of accidents!

FYI: CBP just posted me in Ft. Lauderdale and I will be permanently moving there mid-February.

Adauto wrote:

There are many models of motorhome. Anyone could give-me a tip about what is The Best one to a Family with six person and to do a long travel?

I do not have the first idea on this. But I would try to find a motorhome as fuel efficient as possible. Gasoline here for 87 octane is $3.35 where I am at, and diesel is $4.05. Outside the state the rates will likely be more.

Matt, great tip. I will consider to rent a car in Miami before begin the travel, but after this I will be with the motorhome. I will have to think about the better time to travel, maybe the first hours a day.

Adauto wrote:

Six people in a motor coach travelling across the country.  You must all enjoy each other's company a great deal.

MiaCulpa wrote:
Adauto wrote:

Six people in a motor coach travelling across the country.  You must all enjoy each other's company a great deal.

MiaCulpa
We are enjoying each planning time, together since now and we are talking a lot about the trip. We are sure that will be great.

Check this web site our for ideas on size, cost and other facts.
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/

Bob K

Im thinking a motor-coach is the same thing as motor-home! As i was searching for RV's recently and it had a motor coach  search and they were motorhomes. I hope that made sense.

Bob K wrote:

Check this web site our for ideas on size, cost and other facts.
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/

Bob K

thank you Bob. Is there one that you recomend?

I couldn't help but think of this thread while i drove from Houston to west Texas today. I couldn't believe all the RV's & Motorhomes i saw. More importantly, i couldn't believe how many were driving in the left lane for passing only!!!!  Making the majority of drivers pass on the right.
This is just a friendly reminder to please stick to the right slower lane of traffic :))
Happy n safe travels.

Vino_addict wrote:

I couldn't help but think of this thread while i drove from Houston to west Texas today. I couldn't believe all the RV's & Motorhomes i saw. More importantly, i couldn't believe how many were driving in the left lane for passing only!!!!  Making the majority of drivers pass on the right.
This is just a friendly reminder to please stick to the right slower lane of traffic :))
Happy n safe travels.

Florida is the same. The only difference is here people make there own rules. Thus, when someone decides to re-write the laws everyone gets into an accident. No shortage of RVs here by any means.

Oh yes, I agree about Florida too. Ive been there many times and just love driving with the blue haired ladies!! Not to mention the many RV's there too!

Hi all,

Some off topic posts have been removed from the thread for info.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team