New to this site ... Travelling to KL next month ... Moving Business

Hi to all fellow members,

I am Soumitra, from Kolkata, India. I am travelling to KL next month for a month or two or may be even longer.

I have a Web Design and Development firm in India which I am operating for last 4 years. Wish to move my base of work to KL. This is my first trip to KL, its both a Business trip (looking for options of opening Business in KL) and leisure (I will be staying for long :) ... hopefully). Don't know much about KL or Malaysia as such and don't have ideas about business prospects here.

Its not that I am new to the idea of travelling, I have lived in London for 8 years, traveled most of Eastern Europe, been to East Africa and Japan. But don't have any friends in KL :( ... so friends ... all age / gender / nationality are welcome.

Also would love to hear your inputs about staying and enjoying in KL.

And from my fellow businessman would love to get some tips.

Thanks,

Soumitra

You will need to invest a minimum of RM 500,000 and have 2 directors/shareholders to open up a company and get a work permit. There are other permits also required from local authorities. Just registering a company name does not entitle you to operate legally - but you need to do that as well.  The RM500K can be extracted from the balance sheet for working capital but must be returned each year for the annual report and accounting.

Income tax on the salary you have to pay yourself (minimum salary RM5k per month for 2 year visa or RM8k per month for 5 year visa) would be around 20% as long as you have been working for 182 days in one calendar year in Malaysia or 26% flat rate if you have not (non refundable). So important to time your arrival and incorporation in the first half of the year.

You will also need an office with street access - so budget that as well. You can use a virtual office such as Regis for this purpose. Operating from residential premises is not allowed.

Thanks Gravitas. Nice and concise suggestion.

Being a Malaysian, you can rely on me for business or other matters. you need a local partner, I am interested. You can contact me at azana at perfectdiscover dot com for when your eta. will try to assist you on accommodation eg hotel corporate rates.

You don't need a local partner anymore, the rules changed back in about 2010.  Just 2 Directors - e.g. husband and wife are necessary.  It is called a 100% foreign owned company. The rules about investment levels were the payoff for that freedom.

@Gravitas - thank you for your contribution :)

agreed. but to take advantage of local contents in the business. There are more advantage and disadvantage when you have local partners.

Thanks, AYusof and Gravitas...

I also think local, but sincere and honest partner can do a lot for a business. Also I believe in working partner who is willing to do same if not more than me for the business.

Ayusof I will PM you later to discuss more and we can meet and discuss business over a cup of coffee when when I am in KL.