EU Citizens e-residency process & Health Care info for UK ExPats

Post removed by user.

the requirement is "comprehensive health cover", but less than comprehensive policies are accepted

Post removed by user.

GavinGillard wrote:

Thank you danex2. Unfortunately I can't find anything regarding health cover on the applicable form A or J.

Form J has it on page 3, section 4 (Supporting Documents).

Post removed by user.

if you are applying under Employment/Self Employment that means you are paying social security contributions, which gives you health cover to the public healthcare system, so no insurance required

Post removed by user.

Too late my post.

2 questions:
1) if I move do I need to get new e-ID card couse i'll be living at new adress?

2) for kids and unemployed wife - do I need to get some kind of health coverage or no? I believe that kids are covered by mine NI contributions, does the same apply for my wife?

Hi Duxx,

I can only answer your first question and that is yes, if you change address you will need to apply for another eresidency card.

I have just asked the Dept this question myself and they replied that you need to fill out an application form relating to the purpose of your residency, ie - working or self sufficient and also send them Forms ID1A, ID2 with a photograph, photocopy of your passport and photocopy of your present eresidency card.

Hope this helps

as long as you work and pay SSC your spouse and family i think are covered for healthcare

toonarmy9752 wrote:

as long as you work and pay SSC your spouse and family i think are covered for healthcare

wife yes, children if below certain age (18 ??) and still dependents

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

wife yes, children if below certain age (18 ??) and still dependents

of course..... lol

I have made some minor amendments to the main post, today.

thanks for the update,Redmik,
We arrived last week and are starting this process this
week

title of thread should really be "EU citizens taking up residency", as you dont need to apply for residency, you apply for an eResidence card

georgeingozo wrote:

title of thread should really be "EU citizens taking up residency", as you dont need to apply for residency, you apply for an eResidence card

incoming !!!!!!!

Head for the shelter... :whistle:

tearnet wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

incoming !!!!!!!

Head for the shelter... :whistle:

This was why I amended it to read:

If you are an EU citizen you have a right to reside and work on the Maltese islands but you are required to inform the authorities within 90 days of arrival If seeking to reside beyond this time. (Job seeking exceptions apply when you may have up to 6 months). The method of informing the authorities is to complete their e-residence procedure and apply for the issue of an e-residence card. NB. This is NOT an ID card 'per se' but can also serve as such. It is NOT a travel document either unless one is a Malta citizen and full biometric details are included on the chip and it is authorised for such use.

hi
ok Im confused by this as Ive also been told from different people what I need to do.
I am currently living in Malta with hubbie since jan. He is currently looking for work, I may also look for work once house is sorted, we have just moved last week. In the UK I had an exempt cert for meds which I need to take for the rest of my life. Can I apply for something similar here or need to see doctor to get my prescriptions, and where do I need to go to sort it out. We have recently moved to Mellieha.
too much information of all sorts just confuses the issue I am now on th last month of my meds and need to sort this pronto.
Many thanks

I have been through this process, (and now I have to again) starting with emergency admission to hospital when I went for an assessment for free medication so I think I can state the following with some confidence.

Whether you are entitled to Schedule V (five) medication (free for some treatments) will depend upon your residential status, and entitlement to health care here. It can be a complicated process. I was entitled then I become not entitled and I am in the process of hopefully becoming entitled again.

I would suggest you write to

[email protected]

to gain an answer to your specific circumstances.

However, I do know you will not get this as long as you have a temporary health entitlement certificate.  I have been informed that a permanent Certificate of Entitlement (COE) is required.  Also you may well have to have an assessment (and subsequent reviews) by a doctor at one of the hospitals.

Extract of email to me from the SchedV Dept......

'According to our records, card was issued temporarily pending actual ID. I was not aware that it was a card issued in ink rather than printed out as usual. Card ending in “A”. However, the Certificate of Entitlement must also be renewed. Therefore I suggest you renew your COE and send us a copy by post or scanned to [email protected] together with a copy of your new ID ending in “A”. We will then issue the card according to the expiry date of the COE. Alternatively, you may call in person. Bring your new COE and ID with you.

In the meantime you will have to go to any doctor (free or private) and get the required prescriptions and buy your medication.

(After issue of Sched V card (yellow card you will then have to nominate a Pharmacist of your choice, get a green form from them, get a doctor to complete the medication detail of that and return it to the pharmacist. You will then later receive a card of payment codes which the pharmacist will then enter on their system in lieu of payment each time you are issued with your Sched V listed medication.)

Be prepared for the Sched V process to take some time. Also, if you brought copies of your UK medical records with you (as we did) or have any original prescriptions issued but not used in the UK then take these with you to the doctors.

thanks redmik
unfortunatley I didnt bring any med files as my hubby said i wouldnt need to. I am now worried about my meds. I have one months supply left. But will go to mosta clinic on monday and start this off.
regards susan

Med records not essential I'll agree but we used them as proof of conditions when we first went to the polyclinic to get prescriptions when our supply was running out and that proved to be very useful. We were then both referred to hospital for assessment. Initial appointments offered were 6 months away but fortunately we got round that as our neighbour is a receptionist there. They started the whole thing off from scratch during that initial assessment and it was right at the start of that when I had an ECG, that I was told I had had a heart attack! Hence immediate emergency admission. Nothing to do with my pre-existing condition.
Lynn, like me, also needs regular and strong pain killers, amongst other things. She was told at the hospital, by the doctor, that co-codamol was not available here. She was prescribed paracetamol and codeine separately on yellow card. We then had to register and get a certificate for codeine which is on a restricted drugs list (white card). Went to the pharmacist who immediately offered us co -codamol, (lower strength) which is cheap enough to buy anyway.  :)
I have 6 medications on my Sched V card and I have to pay for one other as that one is preventative. I am convinced I have been over prescribed so I am adjusting accordingly to how I feel.

Thank goodness for this post!!!  :D

I have been looking for a collation of all the bureaucracy that is required to move to Malta. I haven't digested everything yet but am so grateful for this resource.

Is it definitive? What about bringing our old car with us?

Many thanks again
Matt & Maria

I'll send you a link covering cars and other things, as below

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the residency application forms ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ? - EDIT no longer applicable as ID cards no longer issued to foreigners
11. what documents do I need to apply for residency ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13.1 buying a property FAQ
13.2 selling a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate
19. EHIC
20. electricity/water bills - domestic v residential

Hi George in Gozo,
My husband and I want to retire to Gozo and in fact are going to be there the first week of April to meet with a Notary so that she can help with our many questions regarding everything we need to know about residency etc...we are also bringing our 3 Ragdoll cats with us so there are many questions.  We are living in Scotland at the moment, but I was at school in Malta.  I just adore Gozo!

I'm not sure what use a notary will be on residency issues

Thank you George in Gozo!! I have the link - funnily enough I had just discovered that blog site and was creating an account. Thank you again for your help - it is much appreciated.  :thanks:

You are right - just checked on what they actually do and doesn't look like what we are looking for - have friends over there who will be able to keep us straight!!  Will cancel!!

Most of your questions should be answered here, an article that I updated just a few days ago.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

Any questions please feel free to contact me.

:)  hi redmik
just wanted to let you know went down to Mosta clinic on tuesday and after waiting there got to see a nice lady doctor who give me my prescription on repeat and told me as youve said once I get my residende card to go back and they will refer me to consultant to hospital where I will need to have a blood test for my condition and then the consultant will tell me if I am entiltled to a yellow card. The doctor did say if I could get my records or get them emailed over if might be helpful but not essential.I will need to have my blood test done every year ( which is the same in the UK) and my meds didnt cost very much so I was pleased with that. onwards and upwards.
Sometimes I wish I knew what was happening in my life it feels out of control at the moment, but Ive been through alot of change moving etc Many thanks
susan

redmik wrote:

Med records not essential I'll agree but we used them as proof of conditions when we first went to the polyclinic to get prescriptions when our supply was running out and that proved to be very useful. We were then both referred to hospital for assessment. Initial appointments offered were 6 months away but fortunately we got round that as our neighbour is a receptionist there. They started the whole thing off from scratch during that initial assessment and it was right at the start of that when I had an ECG, that I was told I had had a heart attack! Hence immediate emergency admission. Nothing to do with my pre-existing condition.
Lynn, like me, also needs regular and strong pain killers, amongst other things. She was told at the hospital, by the doctor, that co-codamol was not available here. She was prescribed paracetamol and codeine separately on yellow card. We then had to register and get a certificate for codeine which is on a restricted drugs list (white card). Went to the pharmacist who immediately offered us co -codamol, (lower strength) which is cheap enough to buy anyway.  :)
I have 6 medications on my Sched V card and I have to pay for one other as that one is preventative. I am convinced I have been over prescribed so I am adjusting accordingly to how I feel.

I know exactly how you feel Sue! :huh:

Kerry

Thanks Sue, glad you got sorted. And yes, no matter how well prepared one may be there will be times when it all seems a bit of a muchness to handle. Kick back, take a few minutes and things will sort themselves out. Sometimes it helps to do nothing for a while. Good luck  :top:

"However, one cannot apply until one can prove sufficient Health Insurance or entitlement. (Self sufficiency only.)

That has to be done at the Entitlement Office in Valletta address:

Entitlement Unit,
Ministry for Health,
12, Merchant Street,
Valletta. VLT 1171"

it seems this has moved to St Lukes Hospital - not sure if temporary or permanent basis, and their website still shows the address above !

Thanks George. I have just contacted the MoH to confirm.

confirmed that moved

Hi all,
Is there any phone number(s) of the home affairs department beside the following:

The Department can be reached on the following telephone numbers

For Residence issues: 25904800 and 25904801

For Citizenship matters: 25904821

It seems there is no one ever on those numbers.
Any help really apreciated. Thanks.

I also confirmed that the EU had moved (with my pharmacist) but I cannot find any ndetails of new address or tel numbers  :(

Rohingya wrote:

Hi all,
Is there any phone number(s) of the home affairs department beside the following:

The Department can be reached on the following telephone numbers

For Residence issues: 25904800 and 25904801

For Citizenship matters: 25904821

It seems there is no one ever on those numbers.
Any help really apreciated. Thanks.

Those are the only contact details I can find. Could try the main Ministry numbers?

Original article reviewed and updated.

redmik wrote:

Original article reviewed and updated.

Thanks RedMik I almost panicked over the weekend. Just when I was going to get stuck into this for our forthcoming move it had gone! Now back and even amended and updated. Many Thanks  :D

Closed