Trying to find an old friend

I'm American and I am planning a trip to Romania, next spring.  I'd like to locate an old Romanian friend before coming to Romania. Unfortunately, I don't remember his last name.  He lives in Bucharest.  I remember his first name, his birthday, his line of work and some other pieces of information.  Are there any databases that have vital records or driver licenses records available online in Romania that I can search?  Is there someone I can contact/hire, in Romania to help me locating this person?

He goes by the name 'ANDU'.  What is Andu short for?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. 

Thank you in advance.

Sally721

Normally short for Alexandru, but a lot of Romanians have two first names but may commonly go by the second one.

I think only the government might have the info you're looking for. If you know exactly who he used to work for, you could try contacting them or if you're lucky, he might have posted his CV online or something.

Thanks for replying.  do you know which government agency is in charge of registering and keeping vital records (i.e. birth)?

Sally721

No, not exactly, sorry. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give out that kind of info anyway. I think the legal investigator route would be the most likely to yield results. They are likely to have contacts in government departments who might be able to access private records and could search through them for the right 'incentive'.