British Expat living in Voula, Athens looking for friends.

Hey, I am 24 years old, female and I am looking to meet like-minded people to generally hang out with and go on nights out with etc.
So far, it seems that everyone I have had a great relationship with has had to leave Greece, for whatever reason and then I am back to square one.
I find Athens a very difficult place to meet people and form genuine friendships and bonds with and it gets pretty lonely.
Sometimes I just think about saying f*ck it and going back to the UK but I love my job (teacher of English as a foreign language) and wish to further that and go to Uni out here, and I moved out here with my boyfriend and dogs, so all those things keep me sane! Also a lot of our mates from back home come over to visit so that makes things easier too.
It's a catch-22 situation, either stay in Greece and have jobs we love and a nicer lifestyle than we had in the UK but no one to share the experiences with and just generally have no mates living here, or we could go back to the UK and have crappy jobs we hate and no money to do anything but be with our friends and then end up being miserable.
Anyway, hope there are some people out there keen to meet up, otherwise I'm just gonna think that Athens is literally the crappiest place on earth for meeting people!
Check out my profile too if you wanna know more about me.

Hi Charlotte-Louise !

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for this introduction.

Regards
Armand

just sent you a message :)

it does suck but if youre patient there are some great friends to be made and good times to be had

Thanks for your message, I have sent you a reply :)

Good to hear that there is still hope haha! Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Hello Charlotte!

Well you seem to have a very good situation. If I were you, I'd make the best of the shortcomings and enjoy what you have. Your english friends can come south and visit and you might make friends here but i agree with you, its very hard to make friends here and I have a few advantages in that deptmt! The language barrier is not the only thing, there is a big cultural gap that is hard to bridge and people here I think are more into family than outside friends other than those one went to school with.

I am quite a bit older than you and have a mom who lives here but I have lived my whole life other than 8 years here when I was 10-18 and a few more in the UK, in the USA! I'd love to meet you and ur bf, just to chat and learn how you adapted to life here to the extent you did. I arrived here last Dec. and have huge cultural issues but can still take advantage of some of what Greeces has to offer.

I hope to hear from you Charlotte!
Nick

Hello Charlotte, my name is George Im Greek.
Me also I had lived in other places in the past, except Greece
and I know how can feel a foreigner when has no friends  in another country.
Me Im available for a coffee or a drink If you want to, or for any other kind of help that you propably might need.
You can reech me in this number: 697 9429251
I would be very glad to meet you

Hi Charlotte!

My name is Jerad and I have just moved to Athens from London a few weeks ago (although I'm originally from the US). I don't know anyone in Greece besides people from my work but would be keen to meet up with you for some coffee or drinks during the weekend.

Let me know :D

Jerad

I think Charlotte is gone and we are all whistling Dixie! :)