I'm moving there!

Hi! I'm moving to Phnom Penh at the end of August and I'm excited! I've been applying to jobs but nothing yet, and I'm planning on finding a place once I get there. Any advice for what to do on my first few days there would be great! Thanks!

What sort of work are you looking for? How much money do you expect/need? If you don't have any money saved, you could find Phnom Penh and the rest of Cambodia a very unforgiving place.

Well I am going there about the same time maybe little late,
before you find you your own place here is a cheap hotel $5 a day Free Wi-Fi , air conditioning

Kha Vi Guesthouse
#7dd1 street longet 258, Riverfront, Phnom Penh,

look on agoda.com

I am moving back to PP on the 26th. There are lots of cheap hotels, guest houses around. I will be looking for an apt in Toul Kork area. If anyone wanted to share we could probably get a nice 2 or 3 bedroom with pooled resources! Just a thought! Currently I am looking at the one bedrooms between 350 and 5 American per month.

I'm a writer and editor, but I also have a nursing degree and have been a nurse for a few months here in the states, so I'm open to anything job-wise!

You could look on bongthom.com I'd imagine there are possibly more opportunities for a qualified nurse.

yo phea.pak,
I look at the site , place look interesting , how much is cost per month? and it is near river side?

Cheers

a few min taxi from Sovanna Shopping Centre.

Shared lounge, dining and kitchen area. Room with attach personal bathroom and it costs $10/night/fan and $150/month+utilities $50/fan+cleaning $35.

Keep me posted.

Phea

Hi Meamop, I thought that I had posted a reply earlier, but computer gremlins must have eaten my message pre-post. I just moved to Phnom Penh from the States three weeks ago and have found the Tuol Kork area to be a great place to live. It seems to me less crowded and safer than other areas in PP. Plus, there is a constant breeze here so it is also a little cooler than other areas of PP (and even being from AZ I can appreciate the cooler temps). There are great restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance of where I live and also 2 of the best hospitals I have seen in PP are in Tuol Kork (a plus if you are seeking a nursing position). The Children's Hospital is also just a mile away. I had been to PP once before and have looked at a lot of places before committing to Tuol Kork. The rent where I am is $450/month, but I also have an indoor 20 meter pool and athletic club in the building, plus great views of PP (the building is 18 stories high). As you can tell, I really like it here. There may be an open unit. I would be happy to check for you if you would like. I still have a lot of things on my bucket list to do (e.g. Tuol Slang Museum and Killing Fields) and my recommendation of first few days activities will sound very shallow, but for me it would be ice cream at Blue Pumpkin on the Riverfront and coffee at Browns. It is also a lot of fun to do aerobics at Olympic Stadium at dusk. You will laugh, have fun, and get exercise all at the same time. Safe travels! Dennis

Spend the weekend in Sihanoukville , chil-axn

Hi Dennis,
I just read your post.  Sounds like you've found a great place to live in PP.  I am planning to move there as well, in early 2014. 
I most likely won't have a job, but I'm confident I'll find one after arriving.  When you moved there did you have housing lined up first?  Also, did you have trouble communicating with the locals when you first arrived, for basic things like food, hotels, transportation, etc.?
Any information and experiences you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated.
What part of the States did you move from?
I've been in Phoenix, AZ for 8 years.  I'm excited about moving there...

Regards,

Matthew

Hey Matthew! It's so exciting that you're moving here! I just moved here in August from D.C., and I didn't have a job or an apartment lined up, but I did have a friend who I crashed with for a few nights till I found something, which only took a few days. Guest houses are a great place to stay for your first few nights until you find a place. They can be as cheap as $5 a night. There are so many resources for finding an apartment, like this website or BongThom.com or just walking around and looking for "for rent" signs. Have you read Lina Goldberg's book "Move to Cambodia"? It is full of really good tips, and I STILL refer to it now even though I've been here for 2 months. Also, here's the website with lots of other tips: http://www.movetocambodia.com/about/

A lot of people here know English, especially at hotels and restaurants. Bring a map with you or pick one up at the airport. That way, if a moto or tuktuk driver doesn't speak English, you can point to your destination on a map. Drivers don't know street numbers or intersections, but they know landmarks, especially temples (wats) and markets (psa's), so it's best to tell them you're going near there, and then direct them from those points. (left is "schwang", right is "s'dam", straight is "trong", stop is "chop").

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Like I said, I've only been here for almost 2 months, but I'm happy to help if I can!

Hey, I just read your post.  Did you take the plunge and move to Cambodia?  I am doing the same, very early 2014. 
I'm going to plan, as best I can then just do it.  It's a bit scary, but in a great, exhilarating way.
I'd be interested to hear how your first few days went, and what your impression is now?

Regards,

Matthew

Matthew: Yes, I took the plunge. I planned for about a month, sold a LOT of my belongings, and then I was on my way! It was a bit scary, but I knew it was a good decision for me, and I haven't regretted it at all!

My first few days here were spent exploring the city about a 1/4 of the time, and applying for jobs/looking for an apartment the other 3/4 of the time. I knew I wouldn't be able to do much without an income (and I didn't have a TON saved before I came, which probably wasn't smart), but I was lucky and found something pretty quickly. I moved into an apartment and started my new job within a week of being here. I live in the Russian Market area, which is a bit removed from the expat-heavy BKK1 and Riverside areas, which are great if you want the familiarity of home. Those hoods have lots of cafes and international restaurants and other expats. My hood is more local, which is good if you want to get immersed in the culture!

I'm not saying finding a job and apt is going to be this easy for everyone. I got REALLY lucky and had connections in my industry, which helped. What line of work are you looking for? I can let you know if I know anyone in the same line of work. The expat community here is really small, and everyone knows everyone. Also, be patient and allow yourself time to rest and get acquainted with the time change. Another bit of advice: HYDRATE! I was surprised at how dehydrated I got here on a daily basis only because I was sweating so much. They have Gatorade here, which is good for re-hydrating, and they also sell whole coconuts on the street that they pop a straw into, so you can sip as you walk.

I still really like it here, although there are things I miss from home, which was anticipated. I come from the East coast where there are seasons, and even though I love how warm it is all the time here, I miss the changing of the seasons. But I DON'T miss having to carry a coat everywhere!

I'm sending you a private message with a link to my blog if you're interested in reading more about my experiences here so far...

Hey, congratulations, and thank you so much for responding.  Sounds like you hit the ground running, that's great.
I'm lucky, in that I've got enough money saved so support myself for quite some time if no job materializes.  I think one will though.

I think for me it'd be great to stay in some reasonable hotels for a while, and get a feel for what I like before I commit to something.  Your area sounds cool.  I think I might like the laid-back, less touristy neighborhood too. 

I will be looking for work teaching English.  From the research I have done, it's best just to show up, present your credentials, be professional, and more times than not you'll get a job.
I was born and raised in Maryland, so I totally understand the East Coast thing.  I've lived in Phoenix, AZ for the last 8 years or so.  What's a winter coat?

I have always been fascinated with Cambodia and Vietnam.  I spent 5 weeks in Tanzania last year and nearly moved there. Although it didn't work out, it sparked a desire in me to live abroad. 

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I'd love to stay in touch to hear how it's going.  I am planning a January 2014 arrival.

Thanks for the personal link too...

Regards,

Matt

Sounds like you're in a great place and you have a good attitude about moving here and being open to new experiences! I think you'll really like it here. The people, both local and foreign, are very friendly.

Feel free to keep in touch as you plan your journey, and let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. If I can't answer them, I'll find someone who can!

Hi Matthew,

It is great to hear from you and how exciting to learn that you are also a Phoenician! I lived in Phoenix for the past 11 years (I am originally from Seattle). There are many jobs here for English teachers and you should have no problems finding employment in that area - especially given your experience. I would be happy to communicate with you via email: [email protected]

I can help you figure out some good areas to look in for jobs and housing. Also, help you figure out the best places for you to grocery shop and how you would like to get around (i.e. hiring a tuk tuk or moto, or purchasing a bike or your own moto or car). I know several people who own or manage schools and so would be happy to help you in making these connections. For now, make sure that you get a business visa and not tourist visa. You will need to get working on the extension as soon as you arrive.

Thank you for writing. Take care,

Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Great to hear from another Phoenician as well.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

That's great that you may have some contacts in the English teaching community there.  From what I hear applying for jobs in person is the way to go in Cambodia.  My plan is to arrive there in January, or February at the latest, get set up, and start looking shortly after I get settled in.

In reference to the business visa, what's the best way to go about getting that?  Is it a process that I should begin immediately?

How did you end up in Cambodia?  I have always been fascinated by Vietnam and Cambodia.  I am excited to have this adventure to look forward to. 

I'll send you an email, so if it's easier to respond that way you can.

Again, thanks again for saying hello and your information.

Regards,

Matt

Hello,

Thank you for that.  It's great to have someone to run things by that has already done what I'm going to do.

I bought the book you mentioned from Amazon last night as well.

Regards,

Matt

Hello,

I just noticed your post and hope you are happily settling in in this fascinating city.

I also thought it may be useful for you to know about the book  I recently published, called The Definitive Guide to Moving to Southeast Asia: Cambodia as it is filled with tips, ideas and things to know about when you're living in Cambodia based on my three years living, working, travelling and volunteering in the country.

It's available on Amazon as a hard copy or ebook and thought it may be useful.

In the meantime, please feel free to pick my brain if I can be helpful to you as you settle in.

best,
Gabrielle

www.GabrielleYetter.com

Hi Dennis,

I just read your review and I am impressed. My name is Sri and I live in New York. I am planning to come to Cambodia during the first week of February 2014. I love Cambodia and I would love to live there 2 months and in New York one month. I like to repeat the sequence. I would like to rent a apartment in your building if possible and I will keep the apartment even the days I am in New York. I am not planning to work there but only to have a nice relaxed life. I would be grateful if you would let me know if any apartments are available.

Also I would like to ask if you know a travel agency or a company who would give me a letter to come on a business visa. I prefer to come on a business visa which I can obtain at the Cambodian Embassy in Washington DC. While I am in Cambodia I can extend the business visa for a year. I am sorry to ask you to find out a lot.

Thank you,
Sri

There's no need for any letter. Business visas can be obtained by paying an extra $5 at the airport or at a border crossing. Pardon me of I say, "I can feel some sort scam coming on"

Big John BKK,

I am sorry to disappoint you. Because I am a wealthy processional want to have a quite life in Cambodia part of the year while my business in America and Europe making money. Only way I was told is to stay for a longer period of time is to get a business visa. Every one in Cambodia are poor including most of the expats. An intelligent person would know there is nothing to scam from Cambodia except to give something back to the Cambodians.

Thank you for your wealth of information

I'm sure the likes of Hun Sen would disagree with you on your statement that "everyone in Cambodia is poor".

The country is rife with con-men and scam artists, some of which are facing prosecution and/or jail terms elsewhere.

Tourist visas can be extended for 30 days, once only, without leaving the country. Business visas which can be obtained by paying an extra $5 at the border or airport can be extended for 1, 3, 6 & 12 months. 6 & 12 month visas are multiple entry.

Hey Gabrielle! I read that book before I came, too, and it was pretty helpful. But I found "Move to Cambodia" by Lina Goldberg to be the most helpful! I still refer to it after a month and a half of living here.

Hello everyone; I'm a contractor living in DC and have been thinking about leaving the US to start a new life in Cambodia. I have plans to visit in Mid-April for 4 weeks to make sure it's what I want. I spent 6 months traveling around Thailand and loved every minute of it. The only down side was the lack of English. My questions are:
1.    How similar is Cambodia to Thailand?
2.    How likely am I to find employment? I need something that pays about 1K a month to live well.
3.    Lastly how common is the English language?

If I decide to stay I will do everything I can to pick up Khmer but it would be nice to have friends before then. If anyone is going to be in Phnon Phen around APRL14  and would like to travel to nearby cities let me know. I'd love a travel buddy.

Hey Rey! Just sent you a private message. I moved here from DC, as well! Great city.

I decided to register after reading some of the questions and replies.

I have been considering to make the big move to Cambodia. I have visited once and enjoyed it. I am single with no family and no children so nothing here for me. i have managed to save about $4000USD and am going to just fly there and hope I can find a job. I spent 20 years as a police officer and I am a certified flight instructor but I never finished my degree.

It sounds like jobs are not difficult to get. I am just hoping I will find something before my savings runs dry.

Thanks everyone for adding to my courage to do this. Any advice or reassurances on the job search would also be much appreciated.

Nick

Sorry. didn't mean to hijack this post. Will start a new one

Cambodia is a good Choice never need to worry about your visa like Thailand in and out or show up every 90 days you can own business 100% in your name.

Moderated by Christine
Reason: no free ads

Dennis, great insight into the place that you had rented (not sure if you are still there), but I would love to know how to find this place. Is there a website or a name that i can look it up with? I am planing a long stay in Phnom penh starting next week and would love to hear any advice that you might have in that regard.

Hi. The name is Diamond DeCastle and it is located on the corner of streets 315 and 271 in Tuol Kork. I am still there and still really like it.

Thanks Dennis!

Dear dennis, now sure if you are still in PP. I will be landing from Singapore in early August hope that you may spare some time to meet up and share any information if you be so kind to do so. Drinks or lunch on me. I am looking at 7 August and staying in some guesthouse.

All the best, [email protected]