The right place

Here's the situation. I'm 62 and unemployed. You can imagine how that's working out. My wife and I have agreed to just get out of the rat race early but we're looking at social security and a small pension. So, I'm thinking of someplace like Corozal as economically realistic. Problem is that I'd really like a beach! Any other suggestions in Belize?

If the two of you have $2000 a month income, you will be OK and can rent close to the water in a Belizean neighborhood.  If you have less then it may be harder to come and/or to stay.   there are fees to live here.

2k isn't a problem. It won't be a lot more than that but, at least that much! I've lived overseas and the culture shock won't be a big deal for me. I like the idea of Belize being a basically English speaking country. But, as I said, I want sand! Doesn't look like that's part of the life in Corozal, although everything else about the town sounds appealing to me. I haven't seen much discussion on this board about Dangriga - any words of wisdom about that area?

Dangriga is not  known for beaches either. There are bits and pieces by the park, cemetery and up towards Pelican.
For beaches check the Placencia Peninsula or Hopkins.

Thanks for the fast answers. Any idea of what small home rentals run in Hopkins? we don't need to be ON the beach but would sure like to be able to GET to the beach once in a while.

There is a classified page for both Hopkins and Placencia on Facebook. Rents will vary greatly depending on location and type of house. Both Placencia Peninsula and Hopkins will be more expensive than Corozal.

Don't forget Punta Gorda area. No real beaches to speak of, but PG is the only place in Belize where you can collect sea glass. Plus in Toledo you get the mountains, rivers, archaeological sites and the beautiful Maya villages.

If it's only once in a while that you need the beach, don't count out Cayo.