Living on Social Security on Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Hello,
I am a 62 year old North American currently living on Roatan,

Hi Sandy,

I suggest you post an ad in the Shared accommodation in Honduras section :)

Best of luck with everything !!

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

I spent a month on Roatan earlier this year and will be eligible for SS in December. I will have an income of about $1500/month, am 62, divorced and single. Based on my experience there, I believe I could live on that income with no problem. My concern is what to do with my time while there. How do you occupy your hours?

I am curious how your month visit went? Did anything change after your vacation? I am going in November and December to see the area.
I am 53 and ready to make a change.  It would be feasible to move until ss kicks in. 

This is my first comment or site I have found to get information. Would love to hear about your recent visit?

How safe did it feel, did you LOVE it??

Look forward to hearing from you....
Jay

For the most part, I enjoyed my time there, but it would take some adjusting to live there full time. It is most definitely different than the US. Get in touch at [email protected] if you have specific questions.

Your money will go further in La Ceiba.

how safe is it, what is the crime rate, what about health care. are the people friendly, what % speak English any info would be helpfull

What are your sources of income?

hi, I lived in Ceiba for a year and know quite few expats down there, and so have heard what some of them live on. Often it has been less than 1500 and they've done fine on the mainland  in Ceiba or Tela or Trujillo, however, Roatan is considerably more expensive, , 1500 can work on Roatan too, however as you'll see on here you can find rentals in Ceiba etc that would be unthinkable on the islands. Another thought, after years of assuming I would buy down there, I've now, after some urging from expats there, warmed to the idea of renting long term which can be very inexpensive, and much less complicated. So yes you live on the islands for what you'll be getting $ wise, but it all comes down to can you change your concept of what exactly it is that you think you need in terms of lifestyle and creature comforts. It takes some real adjustment