What to look for in a CONTRACT before signing one.

Hello there again!

Greetings everyone!
Ill soon be signing my working contract (probably this week) in Bahrain so I just wanna have a thumbs up as to what should be contained in my contract - the specifics especially.
Ill be working in Bahrain but Ill be living in riffa.
Kindly advise me please on the following pointers: accomodation, bills that has to be payed either by me or my employer; and other point as well that you think really matters.

Thanks guys! God bless everyone!

Best,
Jin

I'm afraid that is a difficult question without more info.

If employer is providing accommodation you should have no bills to pay unless they don't provide satellite or internet, which you should insist on.

You need medical cover
1 vacation flight per year
flight here and return flight when you leave
Transportation?
Bonus?
Salary?

Working in Bahrain but living in Riffa doesn't tell us anything because Riffa is in Bahrain and Bahrain is the county so you could be working anywhere.

Once you get the contract, read through it thoroughly and then ask questions. Don't forget to look on the guide at the top of the main forum page.

okay.noted!
thanks a lot josnuggles

Jinion - I too observed in your previous post that you said working Bahrain and living in Riffa. I am sure you meant working in Manama and living in Riffa.

Re the contract: In addition to what Josnuggles has mentioned, I would also seek clarification and include in the contract, if possible, clauses about costs associated with visas and residence permits. This has to be borne by the employer. But I know of some instances where this was not clarified and the employees had to bear this.

Also make sure things like overtime and working unsocial hours are adequately covered in your contract. Also clarify holidays, weekly days off, etc. Another matter that could lead to disputes later is early termination of the contract, i.e, not completing the contract period. Generally things that can go wrong here are return tickets, visa and residence permit costs.

Thats all I can think of now. If I remember anything else I will post it here.

All what is said is fine. I'm an HR mgr and my question is : what's your job exactly? This matters most!

hello superboo!thanks for joining our conversation
let's just say im an instructor...

all pointers stated in previous replies had been noted!thank you very much farhaz and josnuggles

Re Accomodation: Josnuggles said that if employer will be providing accomodation, i then should have no bills to pay...

My employer said id be paying for my own electricity and water..
In fact, im already assuming that ill be the one to pay for my internet and satellite as well...
(do these make sense?)

I also told him about the municipality tax (balidaya) but he does not know about it --- he lives in Saudi by the way.Does that explain why he is not aware of the balidaya?

Thanks for the nth time in advance!

hello ...

what about passport and educational certificate.

1 )after joining passport keep with employer or with us..??
2) and during Visa process Original certificate required to submit to company or requirement consultant.

so please sugest and conform this also.

Jinion - if the employer says they do not know about "baladiya" then what I can see coming is that you are going to end up paying it.

Not sure about satellite cost, but I have observed free Filipino channels on my satellite receiver. So it should not be a big cost if you were to be happy with those free channels. It depends on your entertainment needs and free time available. For instance, I do not have paid satellite channels. I installed a receiver and dish and am happy with the selection of free-to-air channels available mainly because I do not have too much time to spend watching TV.

Internet is not too expensive. There are packages that suit every type of budget. For instances, I have a BD5 per month internet package from Viva for my iPad. Works well :)

Hopefully this would make you at ease.

Victor_j :

It is illegal for employers to hold on to passports. But unfortunately there are some employers who will insist on holding on to your passport. There is a lively discussion about this matter here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277628

I would assume originals of certificates are required. Your should check with your prospective employer or the recruitment agent. You could also bring certified copies with you.

Good luck!

aorry but what are those certificates exactly??

i am talking educational certificate

You have to have your education result certificates verified and certified by an agency - your emplyer should help you with this.

Regarding accommodation - If your employer is providing fully furnished apartment then the landlord pays the bills and not you. It is very rare to find a fully furnished place where you pay the bills. You really need to talk to landlord about this

Regarding satellite - I pay BD40 a month for internet which gives me very high speed and unlimited downloads. I download all my tv programmes or watch them free on www.filmon.com - Satellite here is expensive with limited channels. My filipino maid watches all her programmes via the web

my employer already told me about authenticating allnmy educational certificates....
i was also told that he will be providing a fully furnished accomodation sp I think im gonna have to talk to my employer about the house bills.

Thanks a lot!