Hello there!

Hi everyone!

I'm from Singapore and will be moving soon to Bangkok for work. Will probably start work on 15th Aug.

Will it be enough if I arrive a week beforehand?

Totally stoked and excited yet also anxious.

I haven't found a place to stay yet, but just wondering, most places requires deposit up to 3 month of rent. Is this the norm?

I'm also looking for new friends to hang out with so I won't be cooped up in my apartment on my days off.

Anyway, I'm a 32 yo Singaporean and will be working at the Sathorn Square building. So if there's anyone nearby, do leave a message here. Thank you! ;)

It is usually 2 months deposit plus the rent for the running month. That makes 3 months rent paid in advance. However rent will be cheaper than Singapore for similar size and quality of apartment.

Thank you dimlou.

I've narrowed my search to areas outside Silom-Sathorn. Too costly there!!!

I'll probably get there a week before I start work and walk around to find a suitable place. Need to get on the ground and find my way around to work too.

I guess it's gonna be an adventure then ;)

Hello Insomanic,

It is normal. Dimlou is correct, Home owners here requires 2 months deposit + 1 month advance rental.

The rental price of properties in Sathorn/Silom are actually lower compared to Sukhumvit area. If you are working in Sathorn/Silom area it is best for you to stay around there to save travel time.
Traffic in Bangkok are quite heavy especially during rush hours.

I think it is a very good idea for you to come earlier so you can at least explore and familiarize yourself in town.

Good Luck!
M

Hi Einram,

Thank you for your input.

I roughly know how to get around already and already planned my action plan the moment I land in Bangkok.

As for the housing, I guess I'm able to give an hour of traveling time by BTS at most. I'm working mostly in the evening to the next morning so I guess traffic jam won't be utmost on my mind.

So I now know how much I should prepare in advance for the rent.

Thank you very much ;)

That's good then. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

[ moderated: no free ad on the forum. Please post in the Housing in Bangkok section. Thanks.]

Hi fellow Singaporean ! Welcome to bangkok.
It'll be great to meet more Singaporeans here.
Hope that by now you've found your ideal apartment in Bkk and about to prepare to in settle well soon.
If you need a Singaporean friend just give a shout out.
Have fun in this uniquely interesting and dynamic city .:)

Hi there!

Thank you for your post.

I'll be arriving in Bangkok next Wednesday noon and dive in straight to work the next day.

But fortunately I am provided housing for a week at Silom Forest so I have time over the weekend to view some places which I have already shortlisted amongst the many choices.

Just spending my last few days catching up with close friends and family and can't hardly wait to get there.

Hope we'll be able to make acquaintance and maybe hang out for drinks or dinner once I'm settled over there.

Really excited to get there ;)