Debit cards in Bahrain!

Hello Guys,

Is anyone aware as to whats wrong with the Debit Cards issued in Bahrain?

They cannot be used online! The only way to use them online is by GCCNET or "Bill Pay" facility, which is provided by very few vendors and limited to Gulf.

I tried with two bank in Bahrain, HSBC (Visa) and NBB (Master), but both have the same problem.

I know credit card is an easy solution, but I personally do not like credit and avoid it at all cost.

Is anyone aware about this?

Thanks,
Sushil

Hello there,

Some Debit Cards are still OK to use them online and some are not. Having been working for a bank, I am fully aware of this issue. Bahrain is not a Debit Card friendly country, it's a Credit / Charge card friendly country.

What I would say, before you start using your Debit Card online, check with your bank as some Debit Cards are not actually Debit Cards. They are account Cards - like the ones from HSBC with no chip on them.

Just check with your bank.

Have check with both HSBC and NBB reprsntatives.

They said a BIG NO for online transactions.

I think all the other banks are the same, I might just go for a credit card....cant be paying 4% Forex commission on each transaction on my overseas debit cards

Thanks anyway

Get an American Express Card if you are doing a lot of transactions. They have Cards that are billed in US$ with competitive rates. PM me if you want an Amex Card.

I agree. An American Express card is very useful. Works almost anywhere and online. I also use a debit card issued by KFH. This works fine too. Best part is that I can settle my monthly AmEx bill with my KFH debit card. No need to go to AmEx or any of their agents to settle your credit card bill.

Personally I prefer to use a credit card for online purchases, mainly for security. Debit cards hit our bank account immediately while we have time to fix issues if we use a credit card.

You Can use CrediMax - Debit Card 

CrediMax - All BBK Bank Branchs are availble

:)

Thanks guys, your opinions were very helpful!

why not Citibank Debit Card ? 
I'm using it and until now i didn't face any online transection issue  'like mentioned above' .
HSBC << i hate
Use SBI bank for (online money transfer Abroad) Secure & fast .  :I
currency rates batter than BFC or western union .

Hi khush,

could you please provide me SBI rate with date time of the quote. I would like to compare it with BFC.

I'm definitely moving to SBI if the rate is better.

Thanks
Sushil

😐  latest Rate
5 min ago
http://i42.tinypic.com/dlsxn7.jpg

BFC
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ykj3n4.jpg

We ran into the 'no online purchases made with a debit card' issue here as well.  So, we resigned to using a credit card.  It is set up to pay the card off every month from the checking account, and it is issued by a US bank, Capital One, a Visa Signature card.  It carries no transaction fees for purchases made anywhere in the world, unlike the other cards I investigated.... plus, it has a points system that is a bonus.  We were actually able to *use* the points to pay for a portion of my most recent airline ticket - you simply redeem the points within Capital One Visa to reduce the balance, no interaction with other companies, blackout dates, etc.

Perhaps this will help someone considering a US-based credit card with no transaction fees!

Actually im not because I am just new to bahrain. But atleast now I know. Thanks for the info.