X-boss extorts money

I was working for company "J" for almost 6 years previously. We were in the construction industry and I acquired a additions and alterations job in the airport. I was hired to supervised the job. During this job, my company "J" were employed to do mechanical works.

Along the way, the main contractor approached me to an external works. This external works was not written on the contract agreement between company "J" and the main contractor. He said he wants to pay seperately and not use company "J" for the job. Knowing that my x-company do not have the capabilites of doing the job, I recommended a friend to complete the external works without the knowledge of my x-company; and got the main contractor got the payment of 7.5k through me. I've then shared the cost of the works with myself and the friend.

After a year, I left company "J" to seek better oppurtunities. Around 2 years later, the police contacted me in regards to airports works. They had claimed that I had commited "criminal breach of trust". I was so surprised. I went through the investigations for almost 6 month. Life was so difficult and I could sit down without thinking what is going to happen to me.

In the alleged claim, I found out that the main contractor had refuses to pay the balance of the amount of 7.5k and had claimed that he had given me the money. I was devastated, this is what happens when you are trying to help people and this is what you get. On the virtue, I've explained to the police on the scenarios that had happen during the initial dealings. I proclaimed that I did not use any of company "J" equipments to complete the external works.

After 6 months, the court tribunal / police letter came. I was not charged with anything but was turned to a warning not to commit such works again.

Everything subsides for almost 1.5 years, then I started to have a debt collectors calling me, telling me that I owed company "J" for 11.5k. I was so shocked. I ignored the calls and reported the matter to the police about the harrasement from these debt collectors.

I found out that my x-boss of company "J" is chasing me after the money which I do not owe at all to him. He's been calling all around my friends to get to me. It feels like he is like extorting me for the money which I do not owe in the first place.

I really dont know what to do. Who should I asked for help?

Hello ac1dcod3.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Sorry for the situation you are going through.
Hope other members will be able to advise you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

These are typical methods of illegal debt collectors in Singapore, which are unfortunately common.
You are right to refer everything to the police and follow their advice.
It can be disturbing, but it will probably end after a while. The company seems to know they have no legal title to the money, otherwise they would use official channels to collect it. So don't let them blackmail you and don't give in!

that's one scary ordeal.  definitely keep the police informed and don't pay that fly-by-night ex boss of yours one cent!!  Warn him that you will take legal action if they persist harassing you!!

Wow, your ex boss must have lots of grudges against you .. as well as time to focus his energies on making this whole wow thingy.
Keep positive.
Keep legal.
We often think of going to alternative channels, to find alternative solutions, to deal with such alternative problems. sometimes it is better to be patient and let the law deal with them.
Good luck.

Go to the authorities.

Ive since reported the matter to the police. They advised it as a civil matter and I have take the necessary actions accordibgly. What my ex-boss did was he employed "legal" debt collectors to come an extort me. Recently, aftet ignoring all the phone contacts, they have contacted my current company saying that are coming to collect the debt.

I was so lucky when my boss approached me about this, they were calm and Ive explained to them about these debt colllectors harrasement. I dont have the guts to let them know tt its my ex boss who is chasing me.

I really help and channels which I can bring this guy down with the law behind me back. I couldnt take it anymore. Its bothering everything in my line of work and life.