US Visa for Mexican National

I have been living and enjoying Mexico for a while now. During my time here I have made a fantastic friend who has introduced me to his family, friends, colleagues and business associates.

His family even hosted a Christmas Posada for my large family when they visited. You couldn't ask for a better friend who loves his country and all it has to offer and share.

I and my family were so pleased with the budding friendship that we extended an invitation to host a visit to the United States and share a bit of our country, family and friends with him.

Unfortunately, obtaining a visa turned out to be a nightmare and very hurtful experience for our Mexicano friend. It left deep scars that can only be overcome by find a way to procure a visa.

An interview at the US Embassy in Mexico City was made and paid for - the applications were complete (honest and well done - nearly 2 inches of paper) and guarantees were made for all expenses and a return to Mexico after spending several weeks in the US - many hours were put into the application as good cheer and planning for the visit proceeded. By the way, my friend had never been in trouble, was a good student and is very close to his family (his father died when he was very young and as the oldest son he always worked hard to contribute money and ease the burden on his mother).

Finally the day of the interview arrived. My friend arrived at the Embassy at 6:00 am (carefully groomed and dressed) and waited for 4 hours outside before entering the building - he was all anticipation and smiles at this point.... but that changed.

After nearly 6 hours of waiting he was called to the desk of an Embassy employee who promptly asked 2 questions:

1) What are you going to the US for?
Answer: Visit with my friends (a complete list with full contact information and itineraries were attached); and
2) How much money do you have?
Answer: About 3000 US Dollars for spending money, but ALL of my expenses (round-trip travel, accommodations, food, entrance fees for museums, etc) are completely covered by my hosts).

The Embassy employee (after 2 minutes, 2 questions and some note taking) promptly ripped the official forms from the top of the meticulously prepared 2 inch application (which she did not look at), then stamped the application "Denied". The actions and gruff attitude of the Embassy employee was that of total rejection. My friend would never say so, but to hear him recount the experience I know that tears had come to his eyes and he was heartbroken, not only by the result by the way the Embassy employee made him feel.

Since this happened I have been doing some investigation and have found that 98% of all applications end with this sad result. Embassy officials summarily reject applications in a way that most Americans would not agree with. Bear in mind that these are not Mexicans that want to "fly under the radar" and enter the country illegally - these are Mexicans that want to visit their neighboring country (often times with more money than Americans have when they visit Mexico).

Mexicans (without a visa) cannot even enter the United States to make connecting flights to other countries (at generally lower rates). They are just told and shown by Embassy officials that they are some sort of bad people... guilty before being proven innocent (even when fully documented).

I think this situation is appalling and should be changed. We need the tourism dollars in the United States, we need more people traveling on US flag carriers, we need to reciprocate the generous hospitality and genuine caring between the people of our countries. We are, after all, neighbors and NAFTA partners aren't we?

This discrimination must stop if we ever expect to have a respectful, honest relationship with average Mexican citizens. They are good hearted people.

We are now seeking ways to re-apply. If anybody here, or anybody they might know could offer assistance I would truly appreciate it.

Respectfully Yours,

TM Wiley

Something very similar happened to my wife a couple of years ago. The most annoying thing is, that you have to pay a real bunch of money upfront and don't get a penny back if your application is rejected.
1st: you have to have a valid passport, 2nd: you call a 01-900-number (that costs about US$2.00 a minute) just to get an appointment, 3rd: you go to the embassy and, even though you have an appointment (so have hundreds of others, too - at the same day at the same hour!) you have to wait for hours outside a building that looks like a chicken shack, 4th: you get into that chicken shack, and behind a thick glass sits a so-called "consul", who decides, whether he gives you a visa or not by the size of your nose (or feet, or boobs, or ... - I don't know) or depending on his humour at the moment, 5th: even if your application was rejected the US consul makes a stamp into your passport.

My wife got rejected, and I (German citizen) tried to find out why and to complain about the treatment of that holy "consul". After entering the embassy building, being directed to the complaints departmente I was told I could only complain by sending a fax to the embassy. I did that, and got called back a day later to be asked the name of my wife (which I didn't want to give to avoid her being put on a list of unwanted Mexicans). No word about the "consul" and the only reason I got for the rejection was Article 1 of the US Immigration Law. I says there something like: "The consul decides whether the applicant gets the visa or not." Not a single word of criteria, no possibility to find out why. Just that.

I guess it's needless to say we never ever thought about visiting the US anymore. What for, anyway? Canada's much nicer (though they now want visas from Mexicans, too), and Europe is freely accessible without a problem.

yeah i agree, i wento to d embassy some years ago with my dad and i saw a loooot of people crying getting visa denied, really is heart breaking to see it....i have a cousin, his mom was in us she was sick and he wanted to go see her but even tho his mom may die they didnt gave d visa....is not just about d paperwork, even if u have it complete, some ppl say (and i also think so) they see how r u dressed , ur manners, ur personality...i know it sounds stupid but i really think they see something else besides d monetary aspect...because i even know ppl with money that have been denied!....in my case when i was baby my parents had my visa done so when i went there again was just renewal....that makes it more easy and less chances of getting denial

I believe Mexicans must have something like 2,000 dollars spending money per month of travel in the US in their bank account, and the money must have been in the account for at least 6 months.  It doesn't matter what their expenses will be.  Plus they must have jobs in Mexico.  Above all they must prove that they have strong reasons to return to Mexico - things like owning a home, family, anything.

Obviously it is a very unfair system.  This goes for Canada as well - the law was changed in Canada last summer.

Well. What can I say? Are you the american man who helped your friend? So, you have the whole story. I mean, talking about myself I could tell you Im a mexican Architect. In the past I tryed about 3 times to get an american visa but I had no success. So, I agree with your story. thats why I personally have a bad impression, you know. The Nafta doesnt work properly. Just brings benefits to Americans and not to mexicans.

I Prefer to get to Europe or Canada before gettin USA.

maybe your mind has changed a bit, since you have been living or expending time out of USA. thats why other people get some kind of angry to your country.

I personally can tell you as its said an action gets a reaction!

regards

David