How much does the RESIDENT card cost

what fees are involved and when should I apply for resdidency?

fist of all, what kind of visa do you have? are you already leaving in Cuenca?

It is a long process with different ways of approaching residency. I am sure that there will be many posting with help. However, keep in mind this process often changes and other people's experience may not be the same as yours. I would suggest that you contact the consulate in LA. They probably have a website with up-to-date information on the types of visa's for which you can apply, the costs, and the required steps. I went in person to the consulate nearest me several times after reading their website and found the staff to be very helpful. You have to first decide which visa fits your qualifications. From there you can identify the steps and costs involved. I think the whole process (including getting all the properly certified documents in both the U.S. and Ecuador) for me was well under $2,000. If you don't speak Spanish, you might benefit from hiring a lawyer in Ecuador to help. But contacting the embassy is a great first step. The more willing you are to do research on this topic, the more smoothly things will go.

The only "not necessary" thing I did is obtain a 6-month visa from the consolate before I left. At that time, it was about $230. You an get that here if it is needed, but I am really glad I got that before I left. It really simplified matters and kept me from feeling rushed. The "free" visa is for 90 days. I was here about 8 months before I was able to get the Visa and a Cedula (Ecuadorian National ID Card). Others have done this much more quickly, as little as three months. But, at the time I came, the process was undergoing huge changes. Now, things are more simplified and you can apply on-line. I wish you the best and hope your experience is a good one. I am sure glad I made this choice.