Safety in Siem Reap

I am an older American woman traveling to Siem Reap. Will stay in a reputable hotel, do volunteer work. Is Siem Reap a safe place for a woman alone. I am home by 8 reading, not very exciting. I am from NYC so consider myself to have street smarts. Any advice? Thanks

Siem Reap is safe enough, you do not have to worry unless for ones who like spending more times to hang out and stay to late to get home on feet. In general, it's quiet safe to live.

Siem Reap is safe even for me at 68 and drunk on occasions
Even a tourist got into trouble I would hate to be the stupid local
It just wouldn't happen.  ; this is a tourist town and protected by many Tourist Police and even
greater  non uniform police
The tourist here plus locals are appreciative of what we have.       Just show respect and no problems
Should happen

Michael Kean

Been here for 13 years, never had any problem...
No worries!
Bruno

Hello, I am in Siem Reap for a few months - just arrived last week - and although I am not older I am also often in my hotel by 8pm reading! Anyway, I am looking for another new expat to split some of the cost of tours of temples. Have you been around those yet this trip? Any interest? I am also from NYC.

yes siem reap is save but its better for you stay near center ( pub street - old market - central market ) not in so dark road and on asfalt road not on sandy road because now its raining all day any time - just be care on raian from electric cable on street and stay in center you will find it very nice city
i stay more than 4 month in 3 trips i find every thing save but again in city area

My house is 3 km from town, never had any problems for the last 13 years. Siem Reap is a safe place.

its great

@Lalo27, I'm planning to relocate to Siem Reap and I gather that its relatively safer than PP.

My qns is if the healthcare, dentalcare and schools are adequate? Any hospitals in SR?

It depends what is your own standard. What is "adequate" for you...?
Yes we have doctors, hospitals and dentists and all the basics. For the fancy stuff you have to go to Bangkok.

Thanks for the reply.

Just the basic stuff, like common cold, fever, food poisoning for adult and kids... etc.

I'm from Singapore, so its easy to fly back for the fancy stuff and also insurance coverage in SG.

I hope they have cable tv for Football, and some facilities where we can engage our kids without them being too bored.

No worries about that one... Plenty of TV channels!

You will be fine.  Many women come alone and live here.  Just be sensible - lock doors at night, don't leave your valuables lying around.

I felt safer in Siem Reap than in my home city of Manila :) I agree with seeing a lot of tourist police roaming around. I just made sure I didn't bring valuables and only enough cash.

I just visited SR last week, and I feel really safe.

You are right, I'm now in Manila and I visit here every month. SR and even PP feels much safer.

Hope that I didnt sound like I dislike Manila. It's a nice place, but you do have to keep safe. Even the locals do so!!

Hey weiht! :) I've been born and raised in Manila and while I love my city, I cannot deny that it is not very safe. Sometimes, I try to act like a thug when I am walking late at night. Female thug :)

I've never been to Phnom Penh but I hope to remedy that in the near future (November, maybe?)

severussnape, i'm not the biggest of lads 166cm. The hotel staff and my friends keep telling me to be careful!!

It's a nice city and majority are very friendly. But you need to keep a lookout and be smart.

It's good that I'm in a safer area, ortigas.

Back to the OT..

i AM FROM Australia  and  67 year young     Never had a problem and would not even had a thought about safety
Tourist police and undercover police have this city firmly under control;
In 10 years i have never seen an altercation of any sort
We  are all happy  and treat tourist with the greatest respect
as this is our living

Michael

Oh, i'd also like to say how surprised i was to find that it wasn't openly sleezy..

Seems like it's nicely hidden and one have to find it, rather than it come finding for u..

thumbs up!!

Just to give you an example of Khmer people... In my last trip to Cambodia quite a gew years ago now. I dropped a wad of cash (6x$50aud notes) near all the tuk tuk drivers not far from Thai embassy as at that time Thailand made you travel outside to renew some visas. Anyway... i panicked as that was all ny trip money.... and wow... a small fella and his friend saw me looking... aproaxhed me, I explained what I had lost... and from their pocket they pulled the aus $s out and gave them to me... no questions asked. I gave him a $50 which they refused multiple times but eventually accepted.

They were motobike taxi or tuk tuk drivers.

Im sure rhings have changed as I look at movi g back there now from Australia but I was and always will be shocked at how genuinely honest those particular people were. Its a lot of money back then for them... its a lot of money now.

The only scams I found there were ones where you agree to being robbed... ie you are 'talked' or 'swindled' out of your money. Maybe things have changed. I expect having money handed back is not the norm but it still says a lot about the character of some Khmers.