Planning my future in Madagascar especially Tamatave

Hi I'm Rahul from India.

Need to learn French and Malagasy as i'm planning my future in Madagascar especially Tamatave. Please help me out in finding more info regarding tamatave house rents, food expenses and all other costs as i need to plan costing and please clear me up on safety.

Hello rahul maheswar.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Antananarivo forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Oh..lets see,, When you move into most places you will need to get your own, Washer and dryer, Fridge and stove, and a hotwater heater.  These things are not part of everyday life for most poeple so they are expensive!! We spend about 700000 Ariary for a med size fridge. and a stove with 2 burners on top of a toaster over as (only kind we coud fins) was close to 300000 ariary. There are grosery stores here, Shoprite, and Score, they are very pricy. But the local street stalls and markets are very good priced. Almost everything is done in CASH! You can buy most anything on the street cheeper then in the store.. there is a good start..
CORINNE, have been here in Tana for about 2 months..

cranecorinne,
Can you share/write your experiences of living in Madagascar as an expat from USA ? It will be helpful for prospective long term visitors like me.

We live in Antananarivo. We moved here early this year from the USA. Many things are hard to tell you a price on. There are food stores here. Shoprite (Shopright), Score, and Literprice are all food stores. THEY ARE $$. For example.. I can get a kilo of Bananas at Shoprite for about 5000 ariary and on the street they are 1000 ar. This goes for almost everything. You can find it on the street way cheeper. A broom at Shopright is about 10000 ar and you cna get a good one from the guy selling them right outside the store for 5000 ar.
When you move into most places you will need to get your own, Washer and dryer, Fridge and stove, and a hotwater heater.  These things are not part of everyday life for most poeple so they are expensive!! We spend about 700000 Ariary for a med size fridge. and a stove with 2 burners on top of a toaster over as (only kind we coud fins) was close to 300000 ariary. Almost everything is done in CASH! If you go to a Store you can use your dept card.

Tamatave is a beautiful place. There are alot of people who speek english. Also yes French and Malagasy. Learn FRENCH NUMBERS. ALmost everyone onthe street will tell you the price of FRENCH and in FRANKS.  (even though we dont use franks here.. you have to divide by 5 to get the Ariary price)
I hope this helps a little.
As fo safty. Dont go anywhere alone. Lock the doors at night and pay attention. Dont look like you have alot of money! NEVER bring out a wad of cash ANYWHERE! try to count it in your pocket. have big bills in one and little bills in another.  It has worked good for us. Be nice and people will be nice to you.