Hello all,gary here

Hi all,
I'm gary from Oregon, investigating Balize to retire with my better half. Retired from corporate world few years ago, now a Freelance Travel Writer / Photographer. Heading to Belize this August for Sanctuary tour, then off to San Pedro for 10 days to look around. After that ope to mak a decision on where to buy a building lot, condo or island. Hey! One mans dream is another mans  wish.
Love this site
Cheers

Hi TravelWriterGary!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thanks Armand

Welcome Gary,

I'm from New York and taking the Sanctuary Tour next month...this will be my first trip down to Belize and we're excited to explore the same possibilities you're looking at as well

Charlie
Good to hear from you. Will look forward to hear about your experience. Hope it's a good one.
August will be my first time there as well. Good luck.
Gary

Hi Gary
   My wife and I just got back from a trip to san Pedro and Hopkins. We loved it and.  Confermed our decision to make Belize our new home. We just love everything about it.

Hey "Super"
Thanks for the post. The more I plan my excursion, the more excited I get.
Gary

Please keep me informed when you return from your trip.  I, too am from Oregon and am interested in San Pedro.  Would very much appreciate your input upon your return.

Are you planning or buying or renting.  I am interested in the same area and anything you can share would be appreciated.  Is the housing expensive?

Hi katgeorge,
We will be down there end of August. Doing the tour of Sanctuary Belize and building lots.
Then heading to San Pedro and Ambergris Caye in general to look at land as well as condo's.
We are planning to buy now, and move within 2 years.
I am also doing two different stories for International Living, one on looking at Belize to relocate to, and one on health care there.
Will let you know what I discover.
Cheers
Gary

that will be great. thx

Hi Gary,
Welcome to you and your better half!! You are doing my dream job. How long did it take you to land the gig with IL? Do you have a journalism background?

I've been reading International Living(IL)for over 6 years now, and subscribe to several other Expat type newsletters and magazines. I am still soaking up the information. 

I have had a few articles published, with my photos just recently. My goal is to become a travel/article writer. I am okay with the photos, but I need to work my photography a bit more. I have the audio/slideshow version of IL's Photography.

I have a home in San Ignacio and stay there as often as I can. I enjoy the oceanside of the country as well.  It is all good, really. I can't wait until I can live there full-time. My father has Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and dementia. I have been caregiving for him for 6 years.  Just over a year ago, he took a bad fall and now requires 24x7 care and stays in an assisted living facility. 

I visited the aging facility in San Ignacio, Octavia Weight. It's a beautiful open air facility. The people who work there are so sweet, and most everyone working there speaks English.  The reason it is not a fit for my father is that only one resident speaks English, so my father would feel very isolated.  If it were not for that I'd have him set up there in a heartbeat as my place is five or so minutes away. That would be perfect. My only other choice is to have a nurse or caregiver come to my house each day. The money adds up fast using this method.

Yes, I like this website too, but I have not had time to join in the fun for quite some time. 

I look forward to reading your articles.  Best of luck to you and yours, Lori Ann  =)

Lori Ann

there is a herbalist in Cayo.. her name is Rosita Arvigo.. i wonder if she could help your father..her phone number is 501-824-2135.. may be worth the call.. have a chat with her..?

best, Olga

Hello Olga,

I just happened back to this post and found your response.  Many thanks for the information and taking the time to post it.  As for my father, I do not think he would be able to handle the move both physically and emotionally.  It would be too hard on his bones, and other health issues.  It will happen for me when the time is right. See why I love Belize........ I will warn Belize when I finally get to live there. I will lie in my hammock while posting the news on this expat site ;)

Spread the Love,
LAN

PS> The writer dude never wrote me back and you were so nice to reach out!

Did you post about your trip when you got back home?  If so I missed it.  If not, please enlighten us.  My trip is coming up in a couple of months and I want to know everything.  Thanks.

Hi All,
Gary here ;-)
Have finished posts on my blog including photo's of my 4 days enjoying the first leg of my 3 week adventure in Belize, starting with Sanctuary Belize tour. I will tell you that I am very impressed with this development, and the work being done there. I am not alone, as the building lots are being sold out quickly. Majority of couples in my group (12) ended up purchasing lots, even those looking for condo's, which aren't available as yet.
I will be blogging about my discovery tour of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye as a whole as well as Caye Calker, the people, restaurants, housing, Expat community, and + / - iIMHO of moving , living and investing there.

If you are interested in my observations  you can  follow my blog

www.storiesbygary.wordpress.com

FYI - I will be returning to Belize in Feburary, looking at investments, as well as visiting my wooded building lot directly on the Caribbean in Sanctuary Belize, where a crew is clearing my home building site ;-))
Yes..I am on a 2 year plan to be living there within 2 years.

Cheers all

Gary

katgeorge wrote:

Did you post about your trip when you got back home?  If so I missed it.  If not, please enlighten us.  My trip is coming up in a couple of months and I want to know everything.  Thanks.

Hi katgeorge,

Actually, I had to reschedule my trip.  I hope to go in a couple of months as well. So many variables must align before I can take off to rejuvenate my soul.  I normally visit twice each year. I am way off track.  No vacations for a year now. Life in the fast pace of the US is starting to take its toll on me, and that is a fact, JACK!

All the best to your and yours on your quest for travel and adventure!
Regards,
LAN

I would also suggest that you check out Placencia Village/Maya Beach area on the peninsula.

It's a great area with a lot to offer, we spent a month there this past July and fell in love with the area. My husband & I will retire there August 2014. We toured different areas of the country while there as we were interested also in Corozal and the Cayo District, was not crazy about Corozal area but the Cayo District was very nice however the draw of the water was just too strong.

Ambergris Caye does not appeal to us except for maybe a weekend getaway... too many people & bars. Placencia has just the right great mix of restaurant/bars, providing a great social life... very clean, safe and friendly.